Hockey Wilderness

Article: Is the Filip Johansson Pick Still Haunting the Wild?

Luke Sims

I was rooting for Miller to fall, or Samuelsson or Bode Wilde who hasn't amounted to anything. 

I support the conclusion Tony has, though, at this point in time we do not miss the whiff. 

Taking Filip Johansson is not a back-breaking, franchise-altering mistake by Paul Fenton in his first draft. However, any of the players listed above would be helping the Wild to win games now. Time will tell how Lorenz pans out, but any of these other guys are doing a whole heck of a lot more in the NHL than Johansson. 

2 hours ago, Willy the poor boy said:

The obvious correlation to me has recently been the Stramel pick. I have hope for Stramel (I also had hope for FJ) and I don't think he'll be the bust FJ has been, but the draft projections are/were quite similar.

FJ was never a top ten consensus pick prior to his draft year, never dominated play on a NTDP or on the world stage for his country or was a physical specimen who dominated and was top five of every NHL Prospect test like Stramel...don't even see this as a close/similar comparison.

Stramel will likely be with our club in two years. FJ cant even crack the AHL. No way they are saying that about Stramel as a second or third round pick as FJ was.

• Like 4

Luke, I appreciate that you dug up the background on this pick. It has been one of those picks that has stuck in my craw for the past six years. I did always wonder about what could have been.

That 24th pick was typical of most twenty something picks in most draft years. Less than a 50/50 chance because of the draft depth. I believe this year was probably a round and one-half deep because of all the talent.

Looking at your overall, it appears we came out on top with what we got and it didn't impact us at all. If Lorenz succeeds at Denver and fills a need for us, I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for all the hard work and detail on this! My mind is at ease and no longer wondering "what if"?

3 hours ago, vonlonster67 said:

FJ was never a top ten consensus pick prior to his draft year, never dominated play on a NTDP or on the world stage for his country or was a physical specimen who dominated and was top five of every NHL Prospect test like Stramel...don't even see this as a close/similar comparison.

Stramel will likely be with our club in two years. FJ cant even crack the AHL. No way they are saying that about Stramel as a second or third round pick as FJ was.

It's hard to believe they could miss that badly, but the major consensus is, it was a reach. I just don't like to see a big reach like that in the first round.

9 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Bode Wilde

Bode Wilde refused to take the vaccine and was outcasted from the Nhl.

Pretty shitty thing for Lou Lamoriello to do.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/report-lamoriello-won-t-allow-prospect-bode-wilde-at-training-camp-due-to-vaccination-status

i was hoping we took Wilde at the time. He’s very talented. He stood up for what he thought was right it’s not the same as he didn’t amount to anything.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

i was hoping we took Wilde at the time. He’s very talented.

I just thought with that name, he was destined to come here. Wilde was recently sighted playing in the E for the Atlanta Gladiators. He didn't have a remarkable season there either. 

He's only 23, has his game gone that far off the rails not to take a chance on? Arizona took a chance on him, as he's under their umbrella right now.

• Like 1