Hockey Wilderness

Article: Jesper Wallstedt Overcame A Slow Start To Deliver On His Prospect Hype

Luke Sims

Wallstedt, is like "Wallstreet", most people think they know what they're doing and  can throw money at it and have limited knowledge and chance success when it comes too it, just like goalies.

Even seasoned traders can lose it all or hit it big. I like to think of it as a longterm investment with Wallstedt to enjoy the value long term and invest, invest, invest. Don't sell too soon,  becsuse of the highs and lows and lose the ability to have lifetime success and make the big money!

• Like 1

From watching the highlights section of Iowa Wild hockey, my conclusion on The Wall was that he had to alter/adjust his game. It took about 3 months. Early on, he was scored upon from weird angles, angles Swedish players do not necessarily shoot from. As the season progressed, he got more ready for the sharp angle shots coming in and looked like he had made the adjustment.

Coming down the stretch, it seemed like an awful lot of goals were scored off of rebounds. Was it lousy rebound control? I can't say that it was, but we were given poor camera angles. To me, it looked like some young, possibly undersized D were not winning puck battles and The Wall had no shot at getting over.

The Wall also changed the highlight package we were given. They started including big saves by the goalies more. The Iowa back end consisted of Sustr, Hicketts and Mermis, with S. Johansson, O'Rourke, Hunt thrown in with Ottenbreit. I thought that O'Rourke and Hunt struggled on pouncing on rebounds and controlling the front of the net, but it could have been anyone of the defenders. At times, 3 rookies were on the back line along with the rookie goaltender. That's quite a learning curve. (also, I know O'Rourke played a couple of years ago, but I still believe he was a rookie)

Next season, Lambos will be added back there making it even younger. Masters will get a late start due to his injury in the Memorial Cup. With that many young guys in Iowa, I believe we will be using the Heartlanders to give some ice time to a couple of these guys. Don't worry about them being sent down, they need ice time, and I'd rather them play 20 minutes instead of sitting in a press box. I would consider rotating them down there as they really are more a part of the Iowa Wild team. We also might see some forwards moved down there just for ice time purposes. Having the Heartlanders so close is a good way to keep the pipeline going. When you have a deep prospect pool, and they start to age, you need a 2nd team to help with ice time. It was a good move by Guerin to get a close E team.

I would like to see The Wall make his starting debut next season with the Wild. Now, it depends how the whole season works out. If the Wild struggle, I could see MAF being traded at the deadline to a team thin at goalie but ready to make a Stanley Cup run. Of course, the same can be said for Zuccarello, Foligno, and Hartman. 

My belief is that according to the progression of The Wall, he will be ready to jump in around mid-March. I'd say keep him eligible for the A playoffs and a deep run. Askarov made that last season. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

I would like to see The Wall make his starting debut next season with the Wild. Now, it depends how the whole season works out. If the Wild struggle, I could see MAF being traded at the deadline to a team thin at goalie but ready to make a Stanley Cup run. Of course, the same can be said for Zuccarello, Foligno, and Hartman.

Barring an injury to Gus or Flower I don’t think we see The Wall in St. Paul next season. 

Flower has said that he doesn’t want to uproot his family again. I see very little chance they trade him at the deadline unless he requests it. He’s at a status now he can kinda dictate his direction. 

When I played junior our goalie could shoot the puck real well and scored a goalie-goal. They’re the best and seeing a goalie celebrate is so funny. One of the best things. Super embarrassing for the empty net team. Wallstedt definitely has some unique confidence and personality. 

Mnfaninnc and I agree, give him a few NHL games this year. Look at the schedule, pencil him in when there’s little AHL conflict. Unless it costs the Wild too much money somehow, I think he should get a start at the Excel once, or get half of a back to back on the road. California trip perhaps?

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, M_Nels said:

Barring an injury to Gus or Flower I don’t think we see The Wall in St. Paul next season. 

And this is where I was suggesting it. Last season, when Fleury went down for a little while and Goose2 took over the net, it was McIntyre who got the call. He comfortably sat on the bench sipping water and catching errant pucks. 

It will happen again this season as goalies tend to tweak something, maybe strain but not fully pull muscles. This is where I'd like The Wall to get the call up, but instead of just watching, I'd like him to get starts. McIntyre was not an NHL goalie, so I get the sitting as a backup. The Wall might not be ready, but he is supposed to be an NHL goalie.