Hockey Wilderness

Article: 'He's One Of the Best I've Ever Played With': Former Teammate Offers Stramel Scouting Report

Luke Sims

Love it. Becoming more of a fan of this pick by the day.

On an unrelated note, sounds like Reevo is going to Toronto. Probably for the best if I’m being honest (and glad he won’t be in the Western Conference), but I for one will miss him. Best interview in hockey, made the team more fun to watch in a lot of ways, but winning is also fun. 😜

• Like 2

I appreciate the insight Luke, but no mention of his personal life factors in this journey. It is a consideration. 

Let's think outside the box and talk to Mike Hastings to hear what his plans are for Stramel come this season and Let's hear from Stramel on what's he's doing to prepare for 2023-24 Wild camp n college season. 

I'm bored with all the same rhetoric and blah, blah, blah. Let's get on board.

• Like 1

Kind of surprised there's not a Free Agency Article/Thread going yet with it less then an hour away...

The rumor mill is a churnin right now. Supposedly the Rangers are 'quietly' shopping Lafrenière. I still remember the 'Tank for Lafrenière!' everyone was yelling back then. Kind of curious if he just doesn't fit the Ranger's system or his development got really screwed by COVID or all of the above...

Wondering if we could somehow get them to take Zuccs back for his final year to clear a couple million and reclamate Lafrenière... Probably too expensive of a trade though... taking a $6mil contract, plus Laf being a previous 1st overall... Probably would want us to retain salary as well considering NYR needs currently has 2 fewer players signed then we do and only $3mil more in cap space currently.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Millante said:

Kind of surprised there's not a Free Agency Article/Thread going yet with it less then an hour away...

The rumor mill is a churnin right now. Supposedly the Rangers are 'quietly' shopping Lafrenière. I still remember the 'Tank for Lafrenière!' everyone was yelling back then. Kind of curious if he just doesn't fit the Ranger's system or his development got really screwed by COVID or all of the above...

Wondering if we could somehow get them to take Zuccs back for his final year to clear a couple million and reclamate Lafrenière... Probably too expensive of a trade though... taking a $6mil contract, plus Laf being a previous 1st overall... Probably would want us to retain salary as well considering NYR needs currently has 2 fewer players signed then we do and only $3mil more in cap space currently.

I tried to get it going. Member posts are duds though it seems like.

Luke, without outing your source, what other players has he played with? That might help put into context he's the best he's ever played with.

Watching Stramel get up from his seat and take off his jacket, it was pretty obvious that he has been in the gym a lot. It was also pretty obvious that his NHL playing weight will be somewhere around 235 as he has some filling out still to do, and can add upper body strength with no problems. 

I like him being a hard working guy with no ego. That's the kind of stuff only a teammate would know about. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Millante said:

That's a start, and I think retaining is probably a decent thing, giving Lafreniere a 2-year bridge deal for the new club. Could the Rangers use an Addison on top of that? They are in win now mode, so vets might actually help them and they know about Zuccarello's leadership. Sure they'd be sacrificing the future for now, but they are living in the now!

Lafreniere plays LW, so unless he switches to center or something, he would be behind Kaprizov and Boldy on the depth chart. The Rangers would likely want more than Zuccarello and Addison, so I am not sure how seriously the Wild should pursue him, assuming the Rangers even want to move on from Lafreniere.

9 hours ago, Millante said:

I think they’re smart enough to realize that it’s still way too early to trade him.

he’s only played like 2.5 seasons. A lot of if not most players take 4-5 year, or when they’re 23-25 years old to really hit their prime. His trajectory is going up. He was on that line with Filip Chytil and that line was their best line for a nice chunk of time.

I don’t see any way they trade him right now.

• Like 2