Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Should Be Drafting Jesper Wallstedt Insurance This Week

I've seen the Hrabal kid could go in the top 40. He's big. Here's the goalies the Wild could take with a 2nd round pick perhaps, but their lack of 3rd/4th round picks will put them in a weird spot to get the top goalies available. I would think they'd have to pick one by 64th overall if the Wild can't trade to pick up a 3rd rounder. If Foligno went to Arizona for one of 70th, 81st, or 88th that'd be okay with me. The top Euro goalie's name is Alexander "Hell No" Hellnemo which just screams elite Swede...

C.BJARNASON, 6' 3" - 190.  BRANDON.
M.HRABAL, 6' 7"    - 215.  OMAHA.    
T.AUGUSTINE, 6' 1" - 190. USA U-18. 

ALEXANDER HELLNEMO, 6'2" - 183. SKELLEFTEA JR.
JUHA JATKOLA, 6'1" - 176. FINLAND.

IAN BLONQUIST, 6'2" - 187. SWEDEN-2.            

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

6th or 7th rounder wouldn't hurt. Their needs are greater elsewhere currently.

Goalies are weird. We've taken 2 in the top 2 rounds recently. That's our depth. Did we suddenly trade Goose2? A tandem of Goose2 and Wallstedt should be in place for a long time. What we need is a guy to sub in for injuries competently. Jones isn't that guy at this point. 

I recommend taking a goalie in rounds 5-7 every year. Disperse them around all sorts of leagues. Plenty of goalies drafted in this window end up making the NHL. We don't need to spend a high pick on another goalie. If we do trade Goose2, shouldn't we be getting a 'tender back?

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Goalies are weird. We've taken 2 in the top 2 rounds recently. That's our depth. Did we suddenly trade Goose2? A tandem of Goose2 and Wallstedt should be in place for a long time. What we need is a guy to sub in for injuries competently. Jones isn't that guy at this point. 

I recommend taking a goalie in rounds 5-7 every year. Disperse them around all sorts of leagues. Plenty of goalies drafted in this window end up making the NHL. We don't need to spend a high pick on another goalie. If we do trade Goose2, shouldn't we be getting a 'tender back?

Goalies are weird! They also develop at different rates. Jones has had problems so far but he still may develop into a back-up/spot starter NHL goalie. He will get his chance as Wallstedt's back-up this year in Iowa. At the same time, goalies at the draft relive NFL QB's. It never hurts to take a flyer on one.