Hockey Wilderness

Sundqvist in. Foligno or Zuc out.

Jon

I’m willing to shout this on just about any thread I can in the slim hopes Dean sees this. The dmen played with more urgency in the ozone, nobody seems to crash/screen the net. What are we in, 2nd grade geometry? Wild sure know how to make a circle in the ozone. We HAVE to be dead last in deflection/screened goals for playoff teams. No way we can win, much less compete, without them.

Foligno will probably be out right? Suspension for a game. Sundvi in.

Zuccarello is a weird one to me cause he has flashes of production but it's like Boldy, on and off.

The one thing that's been the most consistent with the Wild is the number of penalties and lack of discipline & focus. To me, the coaching has been the difference for three years now. Ome loss to Berube and two losses to DeBoer unless this series does a 180. Each time the Wild get penalized and can't score when they need to. Lost one four zip to STL last season too if I recall. For all the talent and wins the Wild rack up during the year it sure is hard to grasp why it's impossible to beat a good team in a playoff series.

• Like 1

Nother thing that pisses me off is the PP. Last year after the loss to the Blues they said they're gonna address it. Well 9th or 10th in the league doesn't sound too bad, but the Wild are so hot and cold on the PP, it's really like they're 20th or worse except for the odd games when they go 2 for 3. The real percentage for the Wild has to put them in the bottom third of the league and that's proven by being the worst PP in all the playoffs. When you put it together with taking 5-7 minors some games they're screwed. 

Feel bad for Dewar or Faber or Freddie who rarely take a minor. Meanwhile Foligno, Hartman, Dumba, and the usual suspects spend most of some games in the box or disrupting the 5v5 hockey the Wild needs to win.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Protec said:

Foligno will probably be out right? Suspension for a game. Sundvi in.

Zuccarello is a weird one to me cause he has flashes of production but it's like Boldy, on and off.

The one thing that's been the most consistent with the Wild is the number of penalties and lack of discipline & focus. To me, the coaching has been the difference for three years now. Ome loss to Berube and two losses to DeBoer unless this series does a 180. Each time the Wild get penalized and can't score when they need to. Lost one four zip to STL last season too if I recall. For all the talent and wins the Wild rack up during the year it sure is hard to grasp why it's impossible to beat a good team in a playoff series.

I’m still willing to back Dean if he would just TRY things. Let’s try one-timer friendly PP schemes, put a man on Oetter like he’s a secret service agent, change freakin lines a little. 

Your case for coaching being the culprit I can see. It makes sense. I’m just thinking about how I don’t know if there’s a better coach out there who can work with a salary-restricted roster. 

I think when you look at the Wild roster, cost to talent ratio isn’t the problem. Guerin has both goalies for the cost of one tendy on a different team. The forward group is solid too with multiple guys who are capable of being paid more.

For me, it’s always been mental junk and coaching in the playoffs. DeBoer Vs. Evason. Just stop and think about that. Contrast the resumes.

The other thing that always kills the Wild is that they never get two or more guys going well at a time. For example, Kaprizov got shut down against Vegas and Ek had a big series. Last year Fiala, nuthin, Hartman nuthin, GEEK nuthin, but #97 was good. This year so far there hasn’t been a guy or two that’s been great. So perhaps that’s the cap but the Wild have won during the season so what makes the playoffs different? The refs. That is demoralizing and it happens every year. Foligno last night is selfish and undisciplined. That carries the energy from being screwed once and applies it to Game 5 right away. 

I think the NHL is a joke so maybe Foligno couldn’t take it and is protesting the lack of integrity of the refs & league. I like that better than he just lost his shit, and got tossed in the first few shifts. That will set the tone when Dallas can score on half their PPs.

• Like 1

Protec, I can see your case. I wouldn’t be against Dean and coaching being the primary issue. I just can’t rule out a different side which is the personnel. Practically all C’s can’t win a faceoff. Depth is again a problem that has been exposed by PK and secondary scoring. You could argue players are not put in positions to succeed but idk. You might be right. I just see Zuccy and Boldy and I don’t know what they are on the ice for. I cant see what they contribute.

Edited by Jon