Hockey Wilderness

Article: DeBoer Is Dusting Off the Playbook He Used Against the Wild Two Years Ago

Justin Wiggins

1 minute ago, Protec said:

The Wild should blast another Star or two. 

The NHL should appreciate if Reaves creams a top line guy. Get suspended and the Wild plug in another depth guy.

I say go full Raffi Torres.

As long as he does it with a cross-check they won't even call a two minute minor.

I think the thing with NHL reffing that bothers me the most is the inconsistency. This season "We really don't like cross-checking it leads to more player injuries (true), we are going to crack down on it." So for the first three weeks of the season they call every single cross-check, even just minorly pushing off another guy. Then after that they totally forgot about that, and it's a coin-toss if a ref wants to call it. Come play-offs........"Cross-checking isn't a penalty anymore."

And it goes this way against every team. They just need to make up their minds what the damn rules are.

• Like 1

At least someone else is talking about this this time around.  We wasted a 3rd period on Wednesday of not making things uncomfortable for the Stars' stars.  

This much is clear, if you want your player's protected, you need to do it yourself.  And, if you want Kaprizov untouched, Robertson and Hintz need to be the recipients of equal or more severe action.  Whining to the refs won't do any good, and DeBoer is right, you can't call everything.

Evason should have a code word for Reaves, Foligno & Co. to go after the Stars' players.  The team needs to realize that embarrassing the league and the referees is the only way to get things changed.  

Last night, look what happened when Reilly went after Point, all hell broke loose and TBL defended their star with a line brawl.  You have to be willing to do that.  If you're not, you will not get anything changed.  

Referees fear more than anything else a game going out of control.  It puts undo scrutiny on them, they have fill out a lot more paperwork. They have to spend time getting reviewed.  If you aren't willing to put them in this position, you will change nothing.  The threat of this was very evident on Wednesday night, as you saw a bunch of 10s.  Even Reaves got a 10 just for being there.  10s need to be earned, and Reaves never earned his.  In my book, he's got a credit of 10 minutes in his back pocket.  

The same things go for running 'tenders.  It would not surprise me to have Gustavsson pushed back in his paint a bit, and even run "unintentionally." The treat that we will run Oettinger has to be there.  I think we win a Fleury-Wedgewood matchup.  

I'd also like to see Evason do more pointing and challenging of DeBoer, maybe even going full Roy on him.  This is a team culture decision. It's good and well to be disciplined until other teams take advantage of it.  As we saw last night, TBL threw there discipline out the window for their teammate.  This will reap rewards later in the series.  

I know Justin wasn't calling for Barbarism above, but it that's what it takes, then we need to be willing to go there.