Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Stakes Were Way Too High To Go Away From Gustavsson In Game 2

Tony Abbott

19 minutes ago, CammieBuckeye29 said:

Sure, Fleury could control some rebounds better. But also, it shouldn't be rocket science for his team to help him out a bit more. 

The team definitely could have helped him out more Wednesday night, that's for sure. That said, generally they DO help him out a lot more, but you can only clear out so many slot rebounds before the opposing team gets to one. Fleury's rebound control, and puck control in general is AWFUL.

17 minutes ago, jgodwin17 said:

The team definitely could have helped him out more Wednesday night, that's for sure. That said, generally they DO help him out a lot more, but you can only clear out so many slot rebounds before the opposing team gets to one. Fleury's rebound control, and puck control in general is AWFUL.

Funny thing I just found on MoneyPuck: Fleury's rebound control/puck freezes are better than Vasilevskiy's so far in the playoffs. Lol. I say that tongue in cheek of course because Vasi got blown out of the water last night, again proving that even all-world goalies have off nights. 

You are correct that Fleury doesn't freeze the puck as much as he should. Moneypuck had him this regular season at -68.06 for puck freezes above expected. His rebounds per save really aren't much different than some other starting goalies. But those are just stats, the eye test does say that he could improve that aspect. I don't think it's AWFUL in all caps like you said. According to NaturalStatTrick, Fleury had 158 rebound attempts against. For reference, Gus had 131. But goalies like Sorokin (282), Saros (236), Hellebuyck (214), Vasi (209), Otter (193), Ullmark (170) had more than Fleury and I think we'd all agree those goalies had better years than Fleury. 

I think why the eye test makes you think he could improve is because of where those rebound attempts are coming from. If you look at the rebound attempts against those other (much better) goalies they are likely mostly coming from less dangerous spots. Fleury loves to kick them out right into the slot. Despite the defense doing an incredible job clearing most of them away last playoffs, that was likely the reason we lost the series against the Blues last year. They scored a large portion of their goals off slot rebounds. Also worth noting that a lot of those goalies played many more games than Fleury, so naturally they will have more rebound attempts against.

50 minutes ago, CammieBuckeye29 said:

Funny thing I just found on MoneyPuck: Fleury's rebound control/puck freezes are better than Vasilevskiy's so far in the playoffs. Lol. I say that tongue in cheek of course because Vasi got blown out of the water last night, again proving that even all-world goalies have off nights. 

My problem with Fleury is he's been letting in the easy ones. It started last season and has gotten worse this season. Has anyone else noticed when the Wild get a goal Fleury to often let's the other team right back in it by giving one up to them shortly afterwards. The Wild got to within 1 in game 2 at 4-3 and Fleury gives up two in quick succession. The 5 hole goal is inexcusable. He had clear vision and didn't even move.

Every goalie gives up goals they'd like to have back but with Flower it's one or two a game now for the most part. He still makes those unbelievable saves and can keep the Wild in a game with them, but the stakes are to high in the playoffs. Ride your hot Goaltender starting now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CammieBuckeye29 said:

The excuse that the Wild can't adapt to the different styles of both their goalies doesn't fly for me. They are NHL players/coaches and should be smart enough to figure it out. Sure, Fleury could control some rebounds better. But also, it shouldn't be rocket science for his team to help him out a bit more. 

I sort of agree with this statement, but not entirely.  When your team is running around like chickens with their heads cut off, it's time to melt it down, not kick out a rebound.  Keeping it moving all the time is not the right way to do it, especially on the road.  Fleury's got to show some awareness in these situations, and he didn't.

^^^

Gotta assume though Fleury would like to make a save where he can freeze the puck if possible? His style just isn't stationary or ultra-disciplined. Don't you guys remember him falling out of favor in Pittsburgh while also winning series by standing on his head. Later winning the Vezina in Vegas. Yeah he's older but still much the same. He had shutouts this season, sometimes making huge breakaway saves. He also has a bad game time to time. I would think at this point they're gonna stick with the hot goalie.