Hockey Wilderness

Article: Liam Ohgren Is Becoming the Player We've Been Waiting To See

Justin Hein

Why are we rooting for him to move to the SHL? I believe he's already signed, why wouldn't we want him in the A?

I'm not sure, but if we loan him again, I think his ELC slides since he's not in NA.  So, he could spend year 20 not burning a year.  But, is that the best way for him to develop?  And by develop, I mean for us.  

Ohgren has a large frame, he's only listed at 6'1", but he's already at 196 lbs. according to Elite Prospects.  When he was drafted, I thought I saw him at 6'2" 202.  But, wouldn't he develop better over here?

The eye test matters. I did get to watch about 3 games of his in the WJCs.  The conclusion was much like Rrrossi, unremarkable.  So, to me, the D1 chart by Bader is probably dead on.  The WJCs were before the injury.  

His dad is also a trainer, he's been strength training for a long time.  I have no doubt he will do that this summer again, probably following fellow countryman Eriksson Ek in that area.  Perhaps Ek even invites him over during the summer?  

Speaking of Rossi, I believe a trip to camp Ek would also do him good.  Perhaps playing a little with Ohgren would be good for him.  Would an Ohgren-Rossi-Beckman line maybe be something?  You've got play making with Rossi, shooting with Beckman and crashing the net with Ohgren.  

If I'm Shooter, I'd want to get Yurov over here, and Ohgren over here for next year.  I'd want my guys developing, not subbing it out to someone else.  

On a different topic, any news on us getting any college free agents?  I haven't even seen news that some have signed. I thought maybe nabbing another young goalie that route might be good. Meanwhile, Filip Lindberg is having another tough year: 19g, .896, 3.13gaa, and a .333 winning %.  

15 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Why are we rooting for him to move to the SHL? I believe he's already signed, why wouldn't we want him in the A?

I'm not sure, but if we loan him again, I think his ELC slides since he's not in NA.  So, he could spend year 20 not burning a year.  But, is that the best way for him to develop?  And by develop, I mean for us.  

Ohgren has a large frame, he's only listed at 6'1", but he's already at 196 lbs. according to Elite Prospects.  When he was drafted, I thought I saw him at 6'2" 202.  But, wouldn't he develop better over here?

The eye test matters. I did get to watch about 3 games of his in the WJCs.  The conclusion was much like Rrrossi, unremarkable.  So, to me, the D1 chart by Bader is probably dead on.  The WJCs were before the injury.  

His dad is also a trainer, he's been strength training for a long time.  I have no doubt he will do that this summer again, probably following fellow countryman Eriksson Ek in that area.  Perhaps Ek even invites him over during the summer?  

Speaking of Rossi, I believe a trip to camp Ek would also do him good.  Perhaps playing a little with Ohgren would be good for him.  Would an Ohgren-Rossi-Beckman line maybe be something?  You've got play making with Rossi, shooting with Beckman and crashing the net with Ohgren.  

If I'm Shooter, I'd want to get Yurov over here, and Ohgren over here for next year.  I'd want my guys developing, not subbing it out to someone else.  

On a different topic, any news on us getting any college free agents?  I haven't even seen news that some have signed. I thought maybe nabbing another young goalie that route might be good. Meanwhile, Filip Lindberg is having another tough year: 19g, .896, 3.13gaa, and a .333 winning %.  

I think BG already said that Ohgren will be staying in Sweden next year.

22 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

The eye test matters. I did get to watch about 3 games of his in the WJCs.  The conclusion was much like Rrrossi, unremarkable. 

This was my opinion on Ohgren too.  Not much to see here.  We're currently railing on Rossi so I'm going to give Ohgren a pass for now.  But this absolutely makes Brackett fair game.  He's going to have to catch lightning in a bottle if he wiff's on his top picks.

#MikeyMilne

Minnesota isn’t in a position where they need 20 year old players anyway. Their makeup now is light on players under 24. That’s been a theme with GMBG and Dean with the exception of players the caliber of Boldy who had success at the NHL level justifying a place with the Wild full time. Guys like Steel who’ve cut their teeth already are fine for the Wild while they build around Ek, Boldy, Kaprizov and let the cream rise to the top from the prospect group while Gaudreau, Steel, Duhaime, Dewar, and guys like this fill journeyman roles. 

Milne, Haight, and Bankier could be the next Shaw, Dewar, Beckman. MN has a nice pool now with nice players at different levels of development that can fit in based on NHL readiness while the Wild aren’t under any pressure to rush them in. With Shaw’s injury, it will be interesting to see what GMBG does with the energy guy depth situation.