Hockey Wilderness

Article: Meet the New Minnesota Wild, Same as the Old Wild

Tom Schreier

Guest Velgey
Guests

I disagree. The Boudreau-led Wild are a different team. We've finally seen the younger players take the next step, thanks to playing in their natural positions (and roles) and getting the playing time they deserve. Zach Parise isn't on the top line by default. Ryan Suter, while still the #1 man on defense, isn't forced to play 30 minutes a night. The powerplay has some life. Most telling of all, they are second in the division and conference, not forced to make a desperate run just to sneak into the playoffs.

Yes, they had/are having a slump. All teams do, including Chicago. Yes, the road to the Stanley Cup for the West goes through Chicago, but that's a fact of life in the Western Conference, not a sign the Wild are the same team.

This is a very smart, well thought-out comment. I made many of these points in the article, and while they are a different -- dare I say, improved -- team under Boudreau, the results are probably gonna look similar in the end.

I thought Boudreau had weeded out this slump, swoon, whatever. I understand that all teams do slump at some point, but this one comes late in the season where teams like Chicago are ramping up.

The bottom line, for me, is I don't think this team can advance past the Blackhawks if the series starts in Chicago. They need the home-ice advantage, and really any advantage they can get, because the Blackhawks are a better team with a history of beating them in the playoffs.

Guest Velgey
Guests
I think this could be a good move. I would have a hard time stripping the C from Koivu but if he leaves after next year (not that I want him to), then they should be looking younger.

Guest Velgey
Guests

http://thehockeywriters.com/its-truthiness-season-in-the-nhl/

Did you happen to see this article on The Hockey Writers? I was surprised by some of the numbers. Obviously you can't apply general trends to specific series, but it is a little encouraging considering the Wild and the Blackhawks are going to finish side by side this year in seeding.

It would be a tough series, and the lack of regular season success this year is concerning, but I think the Wild could pull it off this year IF Boudreau can get them sorted out.

Definitely enjoyed the read even if we differ on the ultimate conclusion.

I appreciate it. I understand the general numbers, or at least have been made aware of them, and it's a fair argument. The truth of the matter is I don't think Minnesota wins if they have home-ice advantage -- I just think there's a better chance.

Honestly, Dubynk could maybe carry them throughout this series if he gets hot. Also, someone like Zucker or Coyle could just go off -- who knows. The flip side is this team has trouble in Chicago during the playoffs, and their goalie seems to have figured the Wild out for some reason.

Who knows? It's why they play the game. It's just perplexing to see this team fall asleep at the wheel year after year after year.

Thanks again for the comments.