Hockey Wilderness

Wild Prospects

Wild Will

I've had the chance this year to see two '21 Draft Wild prospects in action with the Kamloops Blazers - Caedan Bankier and Kyle Masters.  Kamloops (British Columbia, CA) has a good team this year and will be the host city/team for the 2023 Memorial Cup.  Being the host, they will automatically be in the 'final four' --- interesting format the CHL has.  They wrapped up their 1st round of the WHL playoffs by defeating the Vancouver Giants in four straight games.  Other key players for Kamloops include Logan Stankoven (DAL '21) and Owen Zellweger (ANA '21), two passionate skill players who are so fun to watch.  One other Wild prospect, Carson Lambos, is playing in the WHL playoffs with the Winnipeg Ice (moving on to the 2nd round after defeating the Medicine Hat Tigers in four straight).

I saw the game Tuesday in Langley, BC (outside Vancouver) and Bankier was on fire  - a hard skater and not afraid to take the puck to the net.  My feeling is his game has improved a great deal this year.   Masters looked solid as well. 

Bankier is so interesting to me. You wonder a bit how much he's a second banana to 
Stankoven, but I suspect (based on a small sample in his WJC games) that he'll be good defensively when he has to switch to that kind of role. I got to talk about him to Bombardir earlier this year, you can read that here.