Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Should Pay Marco Rossi Now

26 minutes ago, FredJohnson said:

You assume aging contracts are the same as future contracts...again.

3tfo.gif

I assume that Tuch is a better player than Rossi, he will also be better than Rossi in a year and in three years, and his value would be greater on Wild. The discussion stemmed from trading Rossi for Tuch don’t you disagree than I think you feel Rossi is a better player. Ok. 

• Haha 1

So, lets say they pay him.  What would that be?  Boldy money?  Ek money?  If he keeps his point per game pace it would be a decent contract.  He looks like someone who is going to work to get better.  And honestly if he plays like he is now and doesn't get better we would be happy with that.  Even with the 5 to 7 million it would take to sign him the Wild will have plenty of money to sign Marat and Chisoholm if needed.

Extending Kirill won't effect the spending this summer.  That extension will probably be around 5 million more than what they are paying him now.  So when that contract would go into effect that would be the year Zucarello and Bogosian come off the books.  

The outside chance that Spurgeon is done and his contract of 7 million is traded might be in the works as well. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Willy the poor boy said:

But won't Marat be getting the same benefit as Rossi? And won't Marat want to get paid for that? I'm pretty certain I would want Rossi on the team before Marat. Nothing against Marat.

But, at any rate I disagree. I'm not sure if Rossi is or will be a #1 center yet or not, I just know he's a guy 32 GM's (or at least 31) would want on their team.

I say keep them both.  Marat is a different sort of center the type we need on the third line.  He is very strong at puck control.  Rossi is more of a creative center.  They are both a bit small but for now they fit the rolls we want them to play. 

As far as the offer sheets.  GM's in the league tend to not want to sign RFA away from others.  St. Louis did it with the two from Edmonton last year but everyone in the league knew that Edmonton was not going to sign them because they are actually in a worse cap situation than the Wild.  So, if the Wild offered Rossi a 5 to 7 million offer sheet depending on his season I doubt anyone would counter it.  Reason being is you still have to work with other GM's who will have an issue with you stealing a player. 

That last 5-7 minutes was some of the best Wild defense and clock management I've ever seen.  Tampa just couldn't do anything.  I get why there is such a premium on all the goals all the high octane...but man; watching that was almost art.  Even when they gave the Lightning some turnovers or let them take the lead, the Wild didn't panic and just punched them in the mouth.

Not bad for a bunch of "passengers."

• Like 3

I hope he takes the idiot Guerin and the Wild to the cleaners! Guerin deserves nothing less for shit taking him in the media and never really giving him a chance even though he did everything he was asked 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Citizen Strife said:

I dunno.  If Rossi is a passenger, I'll take one who is playing a PPG pace and winning games any day.

i expected our top line to have success but did not expect the dominance or the same from our depleted D and G tandem. reality both of our goalies are playing lights out. our defense is playing crazy good. bogo and chissy are stepping up about as much as bro and faber is. chissy is our sergachev and bogo is our macdanough. midds is playing very unnoticeably good. i guess it's working. keep at it.

Gus - Vezina

Kap - Hart

Stanley - Wild

image.png.6c5f4d86fad4c60391497f8834569d8e.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

i expected our top line to have success but did not expect the dominance or the same from our depleted D and G tandem. reality both of our goalies are playing lights out. our defense is playing crazy good. bogo and chissy are stepping up about as much as bro and faber is. chissy is our sergachev and bogo is our macdanough. midds is playing very unnoticeably good. i guess it's working. keep at it.

Gus - Vezina

Kap - Hart

Stanley - Wild

image.png.6c5f4d86fad4c60391497f8834569d8e.png

Gif phail.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1Brotherbill said:

So, lets say they pay him.  What would that be?  Boldy money?  Ek money?  If he keeps his point per game pace it would be a decent contract.  He looks like someone who is going to work to get better.  And honestly if he plays like he is now and doesn't get better we would be happy with that.  Even with the 5 to 7 million it would take to sign him the Wild will have plenty of money to sign Marat and Chisoholm if needed.

Extending Kirill won't effect the spending this summer.  That extension will probably be around 5 million more than what they are paying him now.  So when that contract would go into effect that would be the year Zucarello and Bogosian come off the books.  

The outside chance that Spurgeon is done and his contract of 7 million is traded might be in the works as well. 

Exactly. Again, aside from potential centers what exactly do the Wild have? Has Rossi done anything but demonstrate he will continue to improve and be the best player he can be? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KK97 is on pace for 152 points, nearly 2 PPG pace. Rossi is a PPG player as 1C.  Keep Rossi where he is and let them cook.  And pay Rossi what he's worth: no trades, no offer sheets.  Kap has always been good, but he's at another level this year.

If size is really required, swap Ek and Rossi.  Kap may not score as much, but Rossi and Boldy will make up for it...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

i really am not trying to pick on the kid. i like him, but the make up of the team and him as a player may not be a good match to what wild are looking for. i know he'll score about 25-30 goals and have 65 pts this year. and these are good numbers. but there are more to consider, especially how he fits the team construct. can we use him to center kaprizov or do we play him as a wing next to Ek and Boldy (which i don't mind doing actually).

as we have plugged him into line 1 i think it is our  real intent to pair him with kap for the foreseeble future and that won't be good, as rossi and zuccy just do not have the size to battle it out consistently, they can only survive and that's until playoffs and opposing players will go all out on Kap and swap zuccy and rossi away like flies. zuccy and rossi have NO deterrence in their game. its either rossi or zuccy and unfortunately for rossi, zuccy is still incredibly good and is tied to kaprizov

Too bad we're not winning with him as 1C.

RXb.gif

• Like 1

Verified Member

I said it the other day. Rossi should get a nice extension with no special clauses to accompany the deal. 

I would have hated getting Laine the injury-prone, primadonna, head-case. Thank goodness his ego and attitude closed the door on GMBG. Talk about dodging a bullet. Guerin should be ashamed. Rossi turned it up a notch and has been solid. Get him extended. Forget about trading him. 

Cross-eyed Bill does owe Rossi a solid contract, he's earned it and proven he's valuable. He's also making Guerin look stupid so enjoy that part TMooch.