Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Should Pay Marco Rossi Now

4 minutes ago, Willy the poor boy said:

I'm a 'no' on Rossi for Tuch. There has to be additional compensation coming the Wilds way.

has tuch regressed that much?? yikes common - tuch is 28 and has been a beast as soon as fletch gifted him away

50 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

even with inflation that a bit high. puts him above tuch and similar to Svechnikov price tag. i dunno - just not seeing it working out if we go 7X7.

It's less money than Matt Beniers just got. Less than Elias Lindholm's deal. It will almost certainly be lower than what Sam Bennett is going to get from Florida. Hell, it's barely more than Chandler Stephenson just got this summer.

I think if you pay Rossi like a 2C now it pays off huge.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Tony Abbott said:

It's less money than Matt Beniers just got. Less than Elias Lindholm's deal. It will almost certainly be lower than what Sam Bennett is going to get from Florida. Hell, it's barely more than Chandler Stephenson just got this summer.

I think if you pay Rossi like a 2C now it pays off huge.

here is my line of thought - 

we have a window of 1-2 years to get kap to resign. to optimize our chances - we need to maximize our top 2 lines and to allow them time to gel.

yes we can move Ek up and center him w Zuccy and Kap and then Tie Rossi with Boldy and hope Yurov or Ohgren works out. That be a safe bet. But i would wager its not enough to entice Kap. But i would still try and center Rossi with Boldy and Ohgren and see if he can drive line 2 before giving him 7 MM....

but instead i'd go with this approach - I would leave Ek and Boldy on line 2 and try finding them an upgrade by using Rossi. Keep Rossi with Kap till Winter (stats should look solid) and IF Rossi nets you Tuch, then pull the trigger - EK BOLDY TUCH - monster line

Line 1 will be more difficult to upgrade with a needed Center, but keep an eye on how things develop, maybe you can jump on someone.... for now just play Hartzy when he is back. If nothing works out by trade deadline, refocus and aim high in the off season. 

that's all i got. it's not perfect, but that's how i'd roll the next year or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

you want to prove that he can be number 1 center? fine put him on foligno and trenin line for half a year and see what he can do with them....that's what number 1 center do - they can drag all above and beyond. let's see that.

otherwise we all know that lining up next to zuccy and kap can do wonders for that stat line (should we have extended hartzy for 8MM after his magical year with Kap, thankfully NO and Billy paid him right).

Rossi can be a passenger on first line for now - but he cannot be called a true number 1 center and not someone Kap needs as his center for future.

i'd wager if we put Marat on line 1 he'll produce as much as Rossi. Flip him and prove me wrong 🤔

Some of what you said is somewhat true but do you remember what line he was on last year when he scored 21 goals and 40 some points as a rookie? I believe he was one of the highest scoring rookies the Wild has ever had. Another noteworthy stat was he was 2nd on the team last year in 5v5 points. You didn’t seem to know that by your comments. As a 2nd year player he’s doing fantastic. The kid has fantastic potential and he’s been showing it for a while now . On a Stanley Cup team he’s not a first line C but he hasn’t even entered the start of his prime years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

we wanted someone that doesn't ride a coattail of Kaprizov. we are getting that now. just like we had with Hartzy before him and Marat could do just as well. Do you want to pay premium $ for that? 

Marat is showing  glimpses of talent, but no way swapping him with Rossi gets the same result.

While ideally Rossi isn't our fix at 1C, and probably isn't a $7m player, he's showing he creates scoring and is not just on coattails. 

I'd do everything I could to keep him via a mid-range bridge contract ~$5m.  He's taken the feedback. Bulked up. And continues to show very high hockey IQ that was advertised. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mateo3xm said:

Some of what you said is somewhat true but do you remember what line he was on last year when he scored 21 goals and 40 some points as a rookie? I believe he was one of the highest scoring rookies the Wild has ever had. Another noteworthy stat was he was 2nd on the team last year in 5v5 points. You didn’t seem to know that by your comments. As a 2nd year player he’s doing fantastic. The kid has fantastic potential and he’s been showing it for a while now . On a Stanley Cup team he’s not a first line C but he hasn’t even entered the start of his prime years.

i really am not trying to pick on the kid. i like him, but the make up of the team and him as a player may not be a good match to what wild are looking for. i know he'll score about 25-30 goals and have 65 pts this year. and these are good numbers. but there are more to consider, especially how he fits the team construct. can we use him to center kaprizov or do we play him as a wing next to Ek and Boldy (which i don't mind doing actually).

as we have plugged him into line 1 i think it is our  real intent to pair him with kap for the foreseeble future and that won't be good, as rossi and zuccy just do not have the size to battle it out consistently, they can only survive and that's until playoffs and opposing players will go all out on Kap and swap zuccy and rossi away like flies. zuccy and rossi have NO deterrence in their game. its either rossi or zuccy and unfortunately for rossi, zuccy is still incredibly good and is tied to kaprizov

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FredJohnson said:

WWFD?

Offer him 7 x 5.7-ish. If he doesn't accept, we'll talk in the offseason.

nah

3X5 if he destroys all the world records, i'd be fine to pay him 10MM plus after 3 years. first i'll have him center 3rd line and see what he's got.

meanwhile i'll save the money for #1 C. 

I think we trade Rossi at the deadline for a really good top 6 winger or top 4 RHD and then in the offseason go big game hunting for our number 1 center and also try to get out from under spurgeons contract to get us more help.  Rossi to me if he asks for more than 3-4mm bridge deal you trade him.