Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Should Pay Marco Rossi Now

4 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

what do you want to pay him and where do you want to play him?

I was in the offer sheet him over the summer camp. I honestly don't know what the contracts are looking like right now, I know Strife mentioned a couple players that seemed to get overpaid by a fair margin setting a new scale over the summer. I'm OK with him on the Kap line although I think he'd work out on a second line and possibly a 3'rd line could work. 

1 minute ago, AKwildkraken said:

Well, if Rossi gets offer sheeted at 4.6 to 6.8 million we would get a first and a third for him.  Above 6.8 and somewhere around 9 million would be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th.  I think Rossi has the same potential as Fiala and he is a center.  

I think a fair way to look at the "anybody looks good with Kaprisov," arguments would be to look at Kaprisov's stats while playing with Rossi vs others.  

Also, Rossi doesn't play on the 1st power play unit to bump his stats.  

I'm in the pay him now side, but leveraging his restricted free agent status can also work.

i think we know what kap can do, and that is he can kick ass with almost a has-been (zuccy) and gritty 4th liner (hartzy) ..... so if we just replace hartzy with maybe a great center or power forward (instead of rossi, hartzy, yurov, ohgren)  then maybe we can see dominance that rivals mcdavid? that is what we have a chance of getting, instead we are trying to make it nice so that rossi can also play there and get some points. we need to maximize the output of our best player, not force a ceiling on to him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Willy the poor boy said:

I was in the offer sheet him over the summer camp. I honestly don't know what the contracts are looking like right now, I know Strife mentioned a couple players that seemed to get overpaid by a fair margin setting a new scale over the summer. I'm OK with him on the Kap line although I think he'd work out on a second line and possibly a 3'rd line could work. 

i am good with 3rd line and 4X4 

not sure what the market price is

it be a slap to Ek's face if he gets more than him

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

i am good with 3rd line and 4X4 

not sure what the market price is

it be a slap to Ek's face if he gets more than him

I don't even know if he wants to be here. You're in consideration for the Rookie of the Year and the boss puts it out publicly that you're on the market after doing everything that was asked of you in the offseason at some great personal expense which I think we can all agree is pretty rare for a player to do these days. Well, that may just muster up some of that eff you attitude BG was looking for and send it in the wrong direction..

Edited by Willy the poor boy
  • Like 1

Rossi is on pace for a 40 goal season and Kaprisov is on pace for 136 points.  

Way too small of a sample size, but I like the trend.  I think around half this year will obviously give us a better idea.  

But, this is the point of the article.  If this trend continues, Rossi gets more expensive.

• Like 3

Next season Rossi becomes an RFA. He likely doesn't have too many options that 1st year because he's really only got 1 year of NHL time in. But, Rossi had to agree with any contract given, not just sit there an take whatever was offered. Perhaps Guerin offered him an extension, a low bridge deal, and Rossi felt he was worth more? Maybe Rossi is betting on himself? I'm not sure what happened but it doesn't have to be about Guerin simply ignoring him and wanting to trade him.

At the rate things are going now, not offering Marco Rossi a new contract before this season may cost Bill Guerin and the Minnesota Wild valuable cap space next summer when NHL Free Agency begins July 1.

The 23-year-old Austrian will be a restricted free agent next summer. He's thriving on the Wild's top line with three goals and six points in three games. If this continues, Rossi could command a considerable payday as he plays out the final year of his entry-level contract – maybe a bigger payday than Guerin expected. 

Sometimes, players have more to prove. Why didn't Guerin have to wait on Faber and see what he could do? I think he saw it at UoM, and saw that Faber immediately upped his game coming into the N. Rossi's 1st go around ended in Iowa. He got stronger last offseason. Reportedly, he came into camp even stronger than last season. Those are good signs. 

Somehow, he earned the 1st chance to play with Kaprizov and Zuccarello, and he is making this line work. It's better than when he was there last season. Last season he looked like a passenger often, this season he looks like a solid peer. Making Rossi prove himself is not a bad idea for a GM. Sure, it might cost him more later, but it also might make Rossi hungrier and a better player overall. 

When many were clamoring for us to dump Rossi before last season, I wanted 1 more year. I noted that he needed to add weight/muscle (like I do for almost any prospect) and he did it and it translated to on ice success. So far, there is nothing wrong with making him earn his next deal, and being sure of what this kid has inside of him. 

My expectation is that Guerin and Rossi come to a contract extension agreement around the same time of the season as Boldy and Guerin extended. That should be late January/early February. My hope is that Rossi keeps this up and stays healthy. To this point, only 6 games, it looks like size is not an issue with the player. He's made some really nice passes that Kaprizov hasn't seen from a center, maybe since jrs. 

11 minutes ago, Willy the poor boy said:

I don't even know if he wants to be here. You're in consideration for the Rookie of the Year and the boss puts it out publicly that you're on the market after doing everything that was asked of you in the offseason at some great personal expense which I think we can all agree is pretty rare for a player to do these days. Well, that may just muster up some of that eff you attitude BG was looking for and send it in the wrong direction..

boss puts it out publicly that you're on the market after doing everything that was asked of you in the offseason at some great personal expense which I think we can all agree is pretty rare for a player to do these days. - seem like the norm of professional sports - players are critiqued and GMs/coaches often poke players here and there to stir some emotions in them to drive them to perform 🤔 anddoing everything that is being asked is kind of the norm in every day work life so i don't really see anything earth shattering here. also the life span of billy as a gm of the wild is likely not THAT long, so rossi can outlive him and not panic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willy the poor boy said:

After how he's been treated, you may be right. He may be thinking let's see if someone offer sheets me and I'll go where I'm wanted.

Yet, the Wild can still match the deal. They'll have a lot of money and Buium, Yurov on ELCs.

13 minutes ago, Tony Abbott said:

That's between Ek and his agent. No one else needs to care.

i can care too, that's our number 2 player and his state of mind matters. 

so Tony what is the role and dollar value for Rossi. no one here says it. 

i say 4 X 4 - mostly 3rd line with option to play up

1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

this one will be fun to watch.  I predict Rossi says “you know where you can stick that bridge Bill” and forces a trade where he gets overpaid for his results with 97.

I don't think Rossi feels this way. I think he still credits the Wild for saving his life, and Guerin for having patience with him as he fully recovered. 

8 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

Pre-season, Evolving-Hockey projected him at 7-years; $5.7 AAV. I'd be comfortable doing that at $7 million today. Top-six; If Yurov's the shit, move Ek back to Line 3 and do backflips.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

If the 1st half of this season goes well for Rossi, I think you go 2 X $4m, or 8 X Ek's number (possibly with an adjustment for capflation). That's under $6m and a pretty savvy contract for Guerin. 

Other options are to qualify him and see who wants to pay him what. Let him have an offersheet, and don't be afraid of it. See if the compensation is a better deal or if matching is a better deal. That worked out great for the Canes and Aho. 

Also note, the teams have been offersheeting on lower term recently. What does Rossi want? Lower term higher AAV, or longer term certainty? Just because someone offers it, doesn't mean he has to sign it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Abbott said:

Pre-season, Evolving-Hockey projected him at 7-years; $5.7 AAV. I'd be comfortable doing that at $7 million today. Top-six; If Yurov's the shit, move Ek back to Line 3 and do backflips.

even with inflation that a bit high. puts him above tuch and similar to Svechnikov price tag. i dunno - just not seeing it working out if we go 7X7.

2 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

If the 1st half of this season goes well for Rossi, I think you go 2 X $4m, or 8 X Ek's number (possibly with an adjustment for capflation). That's under $6m and a pretty savvy contract for Guerin. 

Other options are to qualify him and see who wants to pay him what. Let him have an offersheet, and don't be afraid of it. See if the compensation is a better deal or if matching is a better deal. That worked out great for the Canes and Aho. 

Also note, the teams have been offersheeting on lower term recently. What does Rossi want? Lower term higher AAV, or longer term certainty? Just because someone offers it, doesn't mean he has to sign it.

4-5 is a fine number, otherwise - i'd be good with leaving him with Kap till mid season, drive that trade value and maybe package him for tuch and welcome our boy home. 

11 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

even with inflation that a bit high. puts him above tuch and similar to Svechnikov price tag. i dunno - just not seeing it working out if we go 7X7.

Tuch signed his current contract (extension) in 2019. Svechnikov signed his extension in 2021.

Need to use more recent examples because new contracts get bigger every year for the same/similar production.

8 minutes ago, FredJohnson said:

Tuch signed his current contract (extension) in 2019. Svechnikov signed his extension in 2021.

Need to use more recent examples because new contracts get bigger every year for the same/similar production.

and you will pay Rossi what?