Hockey Wilderness

Article: Wild Shine Bright Against Reigning Champions

If the Wild stay out of the box, their penalty kill can rest-easy. They have been a little better but I am impressed at MN's 60-minute effort and buy-in. They weathered a bit of a storm early and captured the momentum. Last year that was FL's downfall. 

Credit to Hynes and the players. Nice road win. Gotta keep it going though. WPG and DAL aren't missing out on points in the standings either. 

The folks who thought the Wild would be just a fuzz better than Chicago look dumb. We'll see if that changes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Protec said:

If the Wild stay out of the box, their penalty kill can rest-easy. They have been a little better but I am impressed at MN's 60-minute effort and buy-in. They weathered a bit of a storm early and captured the momentum. Last year that was FL's downfall. 

Credit to Hynes and the players. Nice road win. Gotta keep it going though. WPG and DAL aren't missing out on points in the standings either. 

The folks who thought the Wild would be just a fuzz better than Chicago look dumb. We'll see if that changes. 

I’ll be the first to accept dunce award but only when it’s due

6 game sample is just that - 6 games

im interested in tomorrows game - tampa won’t be missing their #1 player like FL ….. and Bob won’t be there (who was just horrible yesterday)

right now scoring is easy and Gus is lights out,  we shall see when law of average comes through

• Like 2

I'm not jumping to conclusions. The preliminary evidence supports an argument that it's not all about what's on paper. MN narrowly lost to WPG, one of the best teams. 

The Wild have been pretty consistent. If they stay healthy, I can't see them falling apart at the seams. Last season under Hynes, they were a better team. They did suck in the Central but missed the playoffs because of their start. I think NSH is another example of "not all that glitters is gold."

MN is doing really good with a somewhat uninspiring lineup. NSH is at the bottom with newly signed Stamkos and Marchesseault. Ouch. Maybe it equalizes? I just think MN is better than they got off-season credit for. 

Edmonton was terrible to start the season last year and ended up in the Stanley Cup Finals, so we know the first 12 games don't mean everything, but the way the Wild have started has certainly been promising.

Wild have been performing like a top 10 team and there are only 4 teams currently with a higher points percentage. Seems like they've carried forward some lessons learned last year and newfound dedication from Gus and some others seems to be paying early dividends.

Hopefully the Wild can keep going strong and stacking points as the competition for playoff spots will be fierce down the stretch.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Protec said:

I'm not jumping to conclusions. The preliminary evidence supports an argument that it's not all about what's on paper. MN narrowly lost to WPG, one of the best teams. 

The Wild have been pretty consistent. If they stay healthy, I can't see them falling apart at the seams. Last season under Hynes, they were a better team. They did suck in the Central but missed the playoffs because of their start. I think NSH is another example of "not all that glitters is gold."

MN is doing really good with a somewhat uninspiring lineup. NSH is at the bottom with newly signed Stamkos and Marchesseault. Ouch. Maybe it equalizes? I just think MN is better than they got off-season credit for. 

its way too soon to say how the season will turn out. after 4 games you would think avs would be the laughing stock of the league (0-4), yet here they are winning 3 in a row. dallas is as strong as ever. jets are 6-0. yes we kind of lucked out that preds have started awful, but they have the vets that can get them back on track.

what do wild have? great start by top players. really really solid kap, Zuccy, boldy and Ek. Great start by their goalie (952 sv % - good for Gus, great start!). 

Rossi has been good with Kap (surprise kap makes everyone better! and that sparkling 23 SH% is not too shabby for Rossi - that will last......) and MJ that's been ok with Ek Boldy (also not a surprise!) but then we have an eventual problem.

we have NOONE in bottom 6 that can score. Freddy Foligno Trenin are most of the time unplayable. Marat is too raw and is still too light. Lauko is a good skater and has the heart but his skill is a bit meh - i guess ok for 4th liner.....and Ohgren - i cannot believe the guy is getting playing time. he needs to get back to AHL soon. When scoring dries up for top players, who will score? We are also playing these D studs - Midds, Bogo, Chissy and Merrill WAY too many minutes for it to not bite us in the ass soon. And lastly - Goalie tandem - surely Fleury / Wally will still play (not sure who you'd trust more???)and Gus won't post 950+ SV % all season? 

So what do we have? we have an over achieving team that is riding (i) great goal tending first 5 games in (ii) great play of their superstar Kap and stars Ek and Boldy and (iii) using their schedule to their advantage

not really going to complain with where we are at in the standing but a more realistic view has me worried. there will be a swing back to norm and it won't be pretty 

1 hour ago, OldDutchChip said:

....and Ohgren - i cannot believe the guy is getting playing time. he needs to get back to AHL soon.

I agree on Ohgren.  Last night I was watching him thinking, well he’s getting the trial by fire introduction to the nhl.  He’s learning on the fly, but he’s not ready.  But P-Nut he needs the ‘opportunity’…I think ogz would develop faster (playmaking, physicality, decision making) and more thoroughly dominating the ahl this season, then bring him up for 10 games at the end.