Hockey Wilderness

Article: Will the Wild Have To Consider Long-Term Injured Reserve With Jared Spurgeon?

Kalisha Turnipseed

Re: last nights game, I thought the team looked very good and played and aggressive and effective game.

Re: Foligno, this is not my standard Foligno hate.  I think at his age he's lost a full step (speed) making him no longer effective at the "tough to play against" game.  He's still a big strong guy who's good at puck battles along to boards but that's about it any more.  His core surgery may be part of the problem.  It's become more pity than hate for Foligno for this fan

Re: Trenin, this guy looks like the kid who is a good athlete but started hockey in 6th grade (much later than the others).  Did Guerin watch any game film on this guy before extending a contract.

13 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Re: Trenin, this guy looks like the kid who is a good athlete but started hockey in 6th grade (much later than the others).  Did Guerin watch any game film on this guy before extending a contract.

Don't much remember his time on the Aves but if I recall he gave the Wild fits on the forecheck when he was on the Preds. 

He's been effective at getting pucks out of the d-zone and has made some slick passes after winning battles along the walls in the o-zone.

Honestly if he was separated from Foglino and paired with a more speedy winger I think he would look quite a bit better. Too often Foglino goes for a knockout punch taking himself completely out of the play when they are both battling below the goal line leading to quick outs and both of them not being fleet of foot it causes them to chase. 

Edited by M_Nels
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Re: Foligno, this is not my standard Foligno hate.  I think at his age he's lost a full step (speed) making him no longer effective at the "tough to play against" game.  He's still a big strong guy who's good at puck battles along to boards but that's about it any more.  His core surgery may be part of the problem.  It's become more pity than hate for Foligno for this fan

At least only 1 goal has been scored against the Wild with those 2 both on the ice at the same time. They've each been on the ice separately for 1 other goal allowed, but when they were both on, there's been only 1.

So, they have been on the ice together for 1 goal allowed and 1 goal scored for the Wild, a Rossi goal they both assisted on. The 3rd line isn't losing the Wild games and the 1st and 2nd lines are winning.

The 4th line has not scored any even strength goals, but Lauko and Khusnutdinov have been pretty solid on the PK and connected on the Lauko SHG.

1 hour ago, mnfaninnc said:

We could ceremoniously pass the Kaptain torch to Ek, and let Spurgeon ride off into the sunset....but not too far, maybe just to Des Moines as a legitimate defensive coach. All the while he would be taking up LTIR money and helping the organization the best he can (after all, he's still employed by them).

This is interesting (not that I think it's a likely outcome, remotely)...within the bounds of the CBA (my understanding) is that a player is allowed to participate in team activities and travel with the team while on LTIR.

If the team was to entice Spurge with offer to coach in Iowa, I'd assume there would be some additional compensation that would come with that.  Spurgeon has 4 kids under the age of 10, and I'd assume he'd much prefer to spend time with his family in Edina than relocate them to Des Moines out of the goodness of his heart.  I'd imagine the compensation to do that may run afoul of the CBA.

But, from all the athletic articles, he seems like a guy who wants to be around the boys.  Could provide significant value as a mentor for the young guys who are bouncing back and forth, or even a newly acquired veteran.

That said, the dude is 34...I still think there is tread left in those tires.  He had two major surgeries in the past year, lets give him some grace in getting back to NHL form before we send him out to pasture.

4 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

The 4th line has not scored any even strength goals, but Lauko and Khusnutdinov have been pretty solid on the PK and connected on the Lauko SHG.

Freddy has played well too and needs to score one as he has had so many quality looks.  

7 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I know the team doesn't really give out many details, but do we know anything more than Spurgeon and Guerin knew that he'd need rest and maintenance this season (interpreted as this will not be the only time this happens)? Waiting until closer to the TDL is also not a bad strategy instead of replacing immediately.

Reported today that Tank is skating and hopes to catch the last couple games of the road trip, but I have doubts about that.