Hockey Wilderness

Article: Jacob Middleton’s Contract Comes With New Expectations

In order for Middzy to keep from becoming Merrill 2.0 (these players are not disimilar in style of play, skating ability, physicality and size) Midzy will have to learn from Bogo.  Middle's needs to bring more sandpiper and edge to his game and be more intimidating because he doesn't have the skill-set to be a PP QB or even a top 4 d-man without an elite partner (ie Merrill).  And he's only getting older and slower.  I think Midzy has it in him so time will tell.

I would have like to have seen Midzy flipped for a middle six contributor (Big Kahk>Mids>middle 6 wing) would have been real value creation by Guerin, but I'm not super mad Mids is still here.

#tarpsoffbro

• Like 1

Certainly seemed like they should have been able to extend Middleton in the $3.5M - $4M range, but hopefully he will produce really solid results.

It is promising that the awful Wild PK last season had some of the best results with Middleton on the ice, and teamed back up with Spurgeon, I imagine we can anticipate more of the same, assuming they can stay healthy.

• Like 1

Verified Member
17 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

(these players are not disimilar in style of play, skating ability, physicality and size) 

So you’re saying they are similar? That’s not good… 

• Haha 1

I think if someone like Hunt or Lambos were up to game speed, Middleton would be gone.  The fact is they weren't, and were at best replacement player level.  Brodin and Faber and Middleton/Spurgeon (at their skill level) is pretty damn good.

Let's say for argument, "ok. but if Buium hits, Middleton is a $4.5m 3rd liner."  You can counter that by any number of things that could happen.  Merrill's gone after this season.  Bogo's gone in a couple years, making room for Buium, Hunt, Lambos, etc. Chisholm may or may not stick (though I'm not betting on it). Spurgeon might sign a shorter term good faith deal like Zucc or Fleury at a lower cap, and Middleton and Spurgeon stay as 3rd pair until the end of both contracts.  Middleton could seek a trade, so that $4.5m is someone else's problem.  We don't know how long Brodin has either.  He's younger than Spurgeon, but not by much.

Realistically, this is what the Wild face RIGHT NOW.

Brodin/Faber

Middleton/Spurgeon

Bogo/Chisholm/Merrill

Well, in a year or two, that becomes

Buium/Faber

Brodin/Hunt or Lambos

Middleton/Spurgeon/Hunt or Lambos

You'd better fucking hope Buium, Hunt, Lambos, etc become something.  Cause if Brodin and Spurgeon retire...

Buium/Faber

Middleton/Hunt

Lambos/Spacek/Masters/O'Rourke (you may even keep Chisholm around...but unlikely)

Those aren't exactly great options.  Someone like an emerging free agent d-man could always be an option, but the Wild need to set aside money for forward extensions more than anything else.  Middleton is a bottom-pair quality guy being paid like a Top-4 d-man because Spurgeon and he do really well.  He's also there because we have no clue if the defensive guys are anywhere close to ready.  Faber did the Wild a favor.  Buium MIGHT be better, or he could be a name on a dart board.  

Edited by Citizen Strife

11 minutes ago, Citizen Strife said:

Those aren't exactly great options.  Someone like an emerging free agent d-man could always be an option, but the Wild need to set aside money for forward extensions more than anything else.

Brodin and Spurgeon are both paid pretty well. The Wild should be able to find quality free agents at or below their cap numbers if they retire or are traded.

Having the top end guys like Faber and Buium will be key to not needing to overspend on free agents down the road.

The cap will be increasing and the Wild seem to be setting themselves up nicely for the future at defense. Sebastian Soini might even be decent by the time the Wild are moving on from Brodin. Hunt and Lambos aren't that far away from being solid 3rd line guys, at minimum.

• Like 1