Hockey Wilderness

Article: Ben Jones Beat the Odds To Make the Wild's Roster

Verified Member
19 minutes ago, Up North Guy said:

The Athletic listed the NHL coaches most likely to be fired and Hynzy was ranked 4th. I don't see that but apparently some writers do.

I don't see it either, especially after coming in and replacing a fired coach and not having his system/coaches/players etc. in place. Billy seems to think highly of him and unless they're below or at .500 at the end of December I don't see a move on from Hynes.

25 minutes ago, M_Nels said:

I don't see it either, especially after coming in and replacing a fired coach and not having his system/coaches/players etc. in place. Billy seems to think highly of him and unless they're below or at .500 at the end of December I don't see a move on from Hynes.

Yeah, it would be pretty awkward to do it this year, particularly with him on the US National Team staff that Guerin is GMing. If they miss the playoffs again, we'll see, but I think he'll be given every opportunity to right the ship this year.

1 hour ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Yeah, it would be pretty awkward to do it this year, particularly with him on the US National Team staff that Guerin is GMing. If they miss the playoffs again, we'll see, but I think he'll be given every opportunity to right the ship this year.

If Hynzy gets fired in middle of this season I'd eat Nojo's neck beard trimmings.  Now if this group goes sideways this season (PK sucks, PP sucks, miss playoffs, etc) all bets are off.  But why Mr. P-Jangles aren't Guerin and Hynzy best friends?  Guerin seat is on medium warm right now.  Not close to being fired but he's looking over his shoulder.  If this team misses playoffs and 97 gets traded this summer Guerin may play the 'fire the coach to save my job" card.

• Haha 1

RE the Wallstedt signing, Ohgren staying around and the 3rd pairing rotation;

Not a huge fan of keeping Ohgren up to get 4th line minutes however him Lauko and Khus is a fast and skilled 4th line that could have some bite. Mojo will elevate his game until about the 4th game in when he goes back to being cardio king. Freddy had a good camp as much as I hate to say it.

I think rotating out the 3rd pairing on D could actually be a big benefit to the two guys over 30 (Merrill and Bogo) who may not have much tread left on the tires.

I love the Wall but I would have liked to see a few more games before we extended him. Extending him before Rossi is questionable. One of them has a total of 4 games at the NHL level and the other has ~100. Figure it out Guerin or we will be paying a whole lot more for the Auspicious Austrian.

1 hour ago, TheGoosesAreLooses said:

Not a huge fan of keeping Ohgren up to get 4th line minutes however him Lauko and Khus is a fast and skilled 4th line

I agree. I’d rather he go directly to IA and dominate.  I think there’s some urgency in the org for the prospects to contribute now not later. We’ll see how this plays out.  Best case, ogz acclimates to the speed and intensity and keeps up by mid season. Worst case is he plays 20 games and it becomes obvious he belongs in IA

1 hour ago, TheGoosesAreLooses said:

Figure it out Guerin or we will be paying a whole lot more for the Auspicious Austrian.

Looks like Rossi is going to play with 97 which will obviously be good for Rossi’s stats.  Conspiracy theory prediction: Rossi looks good and puts up ton of points driving up his market value and getting him dealt at TDL so we can avoid offer sheet AND so that Guerin doesn’t have to pay this player he clearly doesn’t want around

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Up North Guy said:

It was my understanding that NoJo had a NTC vs NMC also. Waivers should be the correct plan. The Athletic listed the NHL coaches most likely to be fired and Hynzy was ranked 4th. I don't see that but apparently some writers do. I agree that it is on BG to put the best players on the roster. 

https://puckpedia.com/player/marcus-johansson
NTC confirmed 👍 

He can be shipped to Iowa. 

22 hours ago, Up North Guy said:

It was my understanding that NoJo had a NTC vs NMC also. Waivers should be the correct plan. The Athletic listed the NHL coaches most likely to be fired and Hynzy was ranked 4th. I don't see that but apparently some writers do. I agree that it is on BG to put the best players on the roster. 

Heinzy fired? I don't see that either. However,  I suspect that if the right candidate became available, such as Mike Sullivan, Heinzy would be promoted to the front office. Actually, it would probably be Mike Sullivan that is brought on in a senior advisor role to Shooter, he would look over the team and the prospects and after he has a handle on things there would be a re-organization which would put Sully as coach and Heinzy in the FO. 

Verified Member
17 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I think there’s some urgency in the org for the prospects to contribute now not later.

This would make sense.  If you figure out this year which prospects can be contributors, then you have a clearer picture of what your needs are when you take a swing at a highly skilled players via Free Agency or trade next offseason.  We're already potentially.going to have Yurov and Buium as question marks when it comes to NHL transition.  I'd rather know what I have with Ohgren this season before it comes to that.