Hockey Wilderness

Article: Can Matt Boldy Become A 50/50 Player?

He won't get there with Nojo on his line.  Nojo doesn't engage himself when an opponent has control of the puck.  Causing much of the play to move into our D-zone.  I used to see Fiala do this as well when he was first with the Wild.  He would circle away rather than engage the opposing player physically.  Fiala got exponentially better when he learned to engage and fight for the puck.  Nojo has a good stick and can obviously skate well.  If he doesn't engage he doesn't belong on the ice.  If he does engage he can be an ok player.  But I didn't see that happen at all last year.  Boldy will never get 50/50 if Nojo plays like that and is his line mate.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MNCountryLife said:

He won't get there with Nojo on his line.  Nojo doesn't engage himself when an opponent has control of the puck.  Causing much of the play to move into our D-zone.  I used to see Fiala do this as well when he was first with the Wild.  He would circle away rather than engage the opposing player physically.  Fiala got exponentially better when he learned to engage and fight for the puck.  Nojo has a good stick and can obviously skate well.  If he doesn't engage he doesn't belong on the ice.  If he does engage he can be an ok player.  But I didn't see that happen at all last year.  Boldy will never get 50/50 if Nojo plays like that and is his line mate.

Agree.  Nojo is a 75% multiplier on and Boldy predictions as long as they’re on same line.  I’m big Boldy fan, and bigger nojo hater.  He’s really that bad. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Boldy and Ek going to crush it this year. That being said, projected lines for tonight:

Kap - Fleury - Foligno

Boldy - Faber - Leskovar

Middleton - Guerin - Trenin

Heidt - Gorg  - Reaves

No defense needed, no can defense.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I think he could realistically be a 40-40 guy. 50-50 is pushing it, a lot of he’d have to be way more selfish and shoot the puck a lot more. If you have Kap knocking on 50 on line 1 and Boldy at 40 on line 2, I’d say we would be in an amazing spot. I don’t like the Zuccy-Hartzy-Kap line anymore. I get why Hynes is going to this for depth scoring, but I would load the top line again and let the other lines figure it out. I do think there is enough depth to load the top line up again. Keep Rossi and Hartzy together, maybe Oghren on the wing. 

I guess we will see what happens. I do think with a healthy d core and even league min goaltending, this team will do well enough to be a tough team to play against. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure yet, but I think they are flipping Rossi and Hartman for this last preseason game...so people might get their wish.  It's kind of a wash right now.  Rossi has more offensive upside and subtle defense, but Hartman is a little more straightforward and feisty.

What I've seen of the 1st line has been good, so I don't think you could go wrong with either in the top spot.

I'm still in shock that the Wild are breaking apart the Ek, KK, and Boldy line.  Putting them together was the only thing keeping them close last year. With a healthy defense it would have been enough.  Breaking them apart gets you less from KK and less from Boldy and less overall. Stupid.

• Like 2

MN has enough talent, they should be really good on the PP. That's where I would want to see the talent loaded up. 

Otherwise, balance lines can roll along and as a team, you can push the game's pace. MN was very good 5v5 two years ago before NoJo. If they can get back to that and have a good PP, lookout.

Of course MN has to win some Central Division games other than CHI.

• Like 1

Having heard the recent Russo/Pants podcast, I'm wondering if Protec is Russo's burner account.  He just exploded about LaPanta's (quite wrong) assumption that Johansson has outplayed Ohgren. 

Ohgren is not a Kap/Boldy/Faber type "I'm better than everyone else" type performer right now, and Mojo doesn't have that AHL clause Merrill does.  There are reasons Ohgren is playing well (being with Ek definitely helps).  

I'm content letting him be the #1 injury option for now, because it sure doesn't sound like Guerin is going to get phone calls about Mojo until the trade deadline, if at all.  But you know Russo.  If Rossi isn't on the top line, or a rookie is SO shit he can't deny it (Heidt), he'll bang the "they are being blocked out drum."

If Ohgren was the only player on his line doing ANYTHING, I'd buy it.  But Ek makes everyone look good or mask other people enough that you don't notice the problems.

• Like 2