Hockey Wilderness

Article: Can the Wild Stay Focused On Winning In A Season Full Of Inevitable Distractions?

Jonathan Ryan

50 minutes ago, Protec said:

Oh wow, gee, who woulda guessed? Vegas getting the special treatment again? Just like when Hossa got sick from his elbow-pads. 😐

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2024/10/03/vegas-golden-knights-robin-lehner-salary-without-nhl-cap-penalty/

Since Fleury shoveled snow, his salary should be changed from player to maintenance. Its only fair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Citizen Strife said:

Bettman saying, "We don't always want Vegas to win...but we want Vegas to win."

Maybe not the cup specifically, but it's definitely in the NHL's best interest to have a lot of it's marketable stars in areas they can use them to generate the most revenue.  This includes having teams that generally win in those markets to keep public sentiment high.

I don't think Vegas as a city would tolerate a losing team, at least not for multiple seasons so it's my opinion that Vegas is going to frequently see little breaks like this while teams like the Wild just don't.  Or at least it sure seems like deck is stacked a bit more in those teams' favor.

7 hours ago, raithis said:

Maybe not the cup specifically, but it's definitely in the NHL's best interest to have a lot of it's marketable stars in areas they can use them to generate the most revenue.  This includes having teams that generally win in those markets to keep public sentiment high.

I don't think Vegas as a city would tolerate a losing team, at least not for multiple seasons so it's my opinion that Vegas is going to frequently see little breaks like this while teams like the Wild just don't.  Or at least it sure seems like deck is stacked a bit more in those teams' favor.

I suspect you are correct.

On 10/4/2024 at 1:07 PM, raithis said:

Well, the Raiders seem to be surviving, and good luck with the As. 

With all of those national broadcasts, I do not believe that Fleury will be starting all of those games. But, could it be that this year might be magical and referees actually favor the Wild for a change? Could it be that the NHL wants the Wild to win since it's on national tv the 3rd most times? Could this get Kaprizov some well deserved attention?

To paraphrase Herb, what we have this season is a great opportunity. I think this team could skate harder, play harder, and maybe lady luck shines upon her. Fortune favors the bold, so we need to go out from puck drop and go after it. It would be nice to bank points especially on that 7 game road trip!

13 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

With all of those national broadcasts, I do not believe that Fleury will be starting all of those games. But, could it be that this year might be magical and referees actually favor the Wild for a change? Could it be that the NHL wants the Wild to win since it's on national tv the 3rd most times? Could this get Kaprizov some well deserved attention?

To paraphrase Herb, what we have this season is a great opportunity. I think this team could skate harder, play harder, and maybe lady luck shines upon her. Fortune favors the bold, so we need to go out from puck drop and go after it. It would be nice to bank points especially on that 7 game road trip!

Banking or even hoping for the league and/or refs to favor the Wild may be fool's gold.

15 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Football and baseball are different animals.  Hockey doesn't generate anywhere close to what football does in any market that has both.

If a hockey team in Minnesota or Canada does poorly, fans might be frustrated, but there will still be relatively strong support for those teams.  That doesn't happen as much in the south.  It takes longer for the needle to shift up here.

You don't see the Wild show up very much in NHL commercials.  Bedard has more presence in such commercials after playing a few games than I've ever seen Kaprizov get.  You don't see any people wearing Wild gear in the Fanatics apparel commercials.  You don't see the Wild showing up in the Winter Classic as often as other teams that have fared worse than them in that same span.  The Sabres and the Flyers had two appearances long before the Wild had one, and they will probably show up in another one before we do again.  Hell, Vegas will get a second one before that happens and they just had one.  It's all about marketability and who can be marketed to.