Hockey Wilderness

Article: John Hynes Must Develop Wild’s Identity In 2024-25

3 minutes ago, WildRam said:

Did anyone catch Billy say the NHL doesn't pay players over 31 anymore? 

When he fails to resign Kap he needs to pack his bags and take his band of vets with him. 

Ya know, I actually appreciated what he said tonight about paying a fair wage. You don't get far by being a tight wad with people. With Minnesota not being a destination, you need to generate some appeal somehow and I don't think treating players fairly is a bad thing. I know it limits us from being able to afford extra firepower but the reputation of being on the players side definitely helps retain and entice talent. I have dealt with this in my professional career as a construction project manager and I was able to build and retain a team of tradesman that were second to none. Just my two cents.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Enforceror said:

Ya know, I actually appreciated what he said tonight about paying a fair wage. You don't get far by being a tight wad with people. With Minnesota not being a destination, you need to generate some appeal somehow and I don't think treating players fairly is a bad thing. I know it limits us from being able to afford extra firepower but the reputation of being on the players side definitely helps retain and entice talent. I have dealt with this in my professional career as a construction project manager and I was able to build and retain a team of tradesman that were second to none. Just my two cents.

Guerin felt a little tongue tied at times, but this was the main thing that stuck out to me.  We get hung up on "sign this guy, sign this guy."  There are 30 other teams, and millions of reasons why someone signs or doesn't with Minnesota.  I like that he said the same thing about the Fiala and Faber/Ohgren trade.  He got word from his scouts that those two would be worth giving up for.  He gave Fiala the best landing place he could, and got what he thought was fair compensation.  It especially helps later negotiations if you don't try to fuck over players or other GMs now.

Guerin may be a salty fuck even at the best of times, but I think his heart is in the right place.

Edited by Citizen Strife
  • Like 2

Check out these quotes from the Athletic article today:

This team’s defensive identity being embodied by its top offensive stars is a key part of what makes the Wild competitive. Having perennial Selke threat in Eriksson Ek is certainly a big deal too, and Rossi seems to be growing in that regard. Add in mainstay wingers Zuccarello, Johansson and Foligno plus new addition Trenin, and the Wild are in very good hands defensively.

Johansson and Foligno are responsible defensive forwards, but neither can hang in an offensive capacity.

Do they really think Johansson is not bad defensively?

Can the Wild use this positive perception to find a trade partner?

That last line is pretty funny to me because Johansson's whole reason for getting ice time presumably would be in an offensive capacity.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Protec said:

Hopefully Lauko isn't hurt too bad. Really like him, other than the neck-guard.

Wasn't Lauko one of those guys who got cut with a skate blade in the neck? I can't remember for sure but my fuzzy memory seems to remember it happening to a Bruin. Also, it may not matter if it was him. Lauko may have gotten freaked out if it happened to a teammate. 

12 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Any reports on how ogzy looks on the second line and second PP

On PP2, they, as a unit didn't really generate much. I thought Ogzie had a couple of decent retrievals. On line 2, I didn't think he looked out of place. He had a couple of nice chances and generally was around the net. Seemed like he should have been wearing #22, but I guess that number was already taken by Dino. 

Speaking of Dino, he did not flash his speed last night, but he did show some really good quickness and some good feeds. I agree with others around here that his floor is Dewar and his ceiling may be Haula. When Dino finally hits that high gear, some defenders are going to be very surprised.