Hockey Wilderness

Article: John Hynes Must Develop Wild’s Identity In 2024-25

For most of the team’s existence, the Wild have favored low-event games they won with defense. Since 2013-14, the Wild have placed in the top half of the league in total goals against eight times. The 2023-24 season was their worst defensive season. They gave up 248 goals, good for 20th in the league. 

Well, there you have it.  I'm not saying defense wins championships.  However, without it, you're just as bad as a high end defensive team with no offense.  The Wild have the personnel to value the defensive side first.  A couple years ago, there was this crazy feeling where the Wild could always score, always come from behind.  It didn't help them in crunch time.  

I'm not going to say what the answer is until I see it.  It took a Nino goal in Game 7 to even scratch the second round.  However, if the players are saying, "We aren't a team anyone is scared or annoyed to play against," what does that tell you?

• Like 1

When I am hearing “simplified, low event, hard to play against “ and so on, it is really means team with no skills. It will translate to “dump and chase” type of game. No team with this style of play were even close to win the Championship. If this true philosophy don’t expect Kaprizov to sign 

• Confused 1

Hynes' breakout and neutral zone strategy of speed and quick passing was evident once he took the helm. Way quicker and faster than what Dean-o implemented, going to be curious to see how the team plays with a full off-season with his staff.

I don't see him having KK play a strict dump and chase game but I don't think he was fond (much like a lot of us) with the east-west coast game that Zucc & KK like to play sometimes that lead to a lot of turnovers.

• Like 3