Hockey Wilderness

Article: Can the Wild Keep Jared Spurgeon Healthy This Season?

Lauko seems to be ok.  Looks like Boldy, Middleton, and Lauko aren't missing the opener *knock on wood*

"I think this would be more likely to hurt Spurge, no?"

That's possible, but I think of it from the idea of limiting minutes.  Spurgeon's still a quality offensive option, but hey, make things easier on him if the option is there.

14 hours ago, Up North Guy said:

Not sure I agree with that anymore. If he is in the lineup the chance of winning is greatly diminished. Iowa is so close that they really don't need to have a spare when they are home. Bring someone up for a spare on the road.

The emergency is always there just in case something happens that day before they can bring someone in. Even at home that can be the case, for instance, remember when the mumps was going through the team? 

A late case of the flu, someone pulls a muscle in practice and can't go, a player has an emergency at home. These all happen and are unplanned for. Just like you could stick Prosser in the lineup, you can do it for Merrill too. He has minimal value, but he can eat a few minutes. He's slow but steady. He has a decent reach. He plays very conservative and is better than an orange cone. He reads his lane pretty good. 

Then, you just bring up the kid for the next game if it is going to take awhile. 

With the game I saw him in, it looked like he had even gotten slower this season. To me, Chisholm looks like he should get regular play. If you place Merrill on waivers and send him to Iowa and then run a 3 or 4 man rotation through the guy sitting, I could get behind a plan like that, especially if the plan is to rest Spurgeon a bit more. 

What we can't have is a kid sitting in the Prossbox for a long time and then being expected to jump in and play. They need that icetime. 

• Like 1