Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Can't Operate As A Bubble Team Again This Year

4 hours ago, M_Nels said:

Well no kidding it's a possibility, anything is a possibility. What I'm getting tired of is people acting like they know Kaprizov personally and somehow know he's frustrated, unhappy whatever and automatically assume he's jumping ship as soon as his contract is up. None of us are in the room with GMBG & Kap and hell he may be excited to be a cornerstone and excited with the moves being made, but then again that may just be a possibility... 

you do know that there are two possibilities to the kaprizov saga? he either leaves or stays. is that a taboo to talk scenario that may not be to your liking? that's the point of the forum - to discuss! you don't have to like it, but that's the reality - people have opinions and different views. i admit that mine is a bit more pessimistic than most - but what can you do? 🙂 

Remember Kap came over to a new country and HAD to play for us. he held firm to lower term demand and did not sign 8 years. that meant, and still means - he gets a chance to have a say at where he plays during his prime years. that's it - that was his intent. and wild new that. from that point they had to execute a near flawless execution of roster creation and future planning to have any chance at getting kap to resign. have they done that?

maybe they have and maybe he really does LOVE minny. maybe that 1 million extra is enough to entice him to spend the rest of his career here....maybe he really is  excited about having to play with trenin, freddy, harty, zuccy, ohgren, marat, mj, and foligno? maybe that was his dream all along! maybe you right..

1 hour ago, OldDutchChip said:

you do know that there are two possibilities to the kaprizov saga? he either leaves or stays. is that a taboo to talk scenario that may not be to your liking? that's the point of the forum - to discuss! you don't have to like it, but that's the reality - people have opinions and different views. i admit that mine is a bit more pessimistic than most - but what can you do? 🙂 

Remember Kap came over to a new country and HAD to play for us. he held firm to lower term demand and did not sign 8 years. that meant, and still means - he gets a chance to have a say at where he plays during his prime years. that's it - that was his intent. and wild new that. from that point they had to execute a near flawless execution of roster creation and future planning to have any chance at getting kap to resign. have they done that?

maybe they have and maybe he really does LOVE minny. maybe that 1 million extra is enough to entice him to spend the rest of his career here....maybe he really is  excited about having to play with trenin, freddy, harty, zuccy, ohgren, marat, mj, and foligno? maybe that was his dream all along! maybe you right..

ODC is depressing me again.  Not because he’s negative but because I think he’s right.  All truth bombs.  And his next contract will likely be his last.  If your Kap do you say, I’ll hang here and watch another few coaches come and go, get another GM and hope for a second round playoff birth surrounded by journeyman and 20 yr olds OR jump to contender who already has a couple superstars and is a couple free agent acquisitions away from a deep run.  If a trade has to happen is Guerin the guy you want working the phones?

don’t be dumb bill 

• Like 2

Things change alot in just a few years  so who knows .  I dont know what kaps thinking is but i doubt he has any clarity on any other team either  ,im sure he also wants stability  and he aint gonna give a huge discount to fit in somewhere else thats cap strapped i wouldnt think but could be wrong ,   Most top stars dont need top money either and could probably have a better chance at a cup if they did that discount thing  on a different team Mcdavid could say im set 150 million in the bank gonna sign 6 million with the leafs   i bet nothing like that happens 

11 hours ago, Dango said:

and he aint gonna give a huge discount to fit in somewhere else

There's no scenario where 97 has to give a discount.  All teams will back up Brinks truck.  We just have to hope we’re lucky enough he chooses us. 
re clarity on other teams: look at NYR lineup to pick just one team.  Not difficult to look around league and pick your spot to increase odds of a deep post-season run

13 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

ODC is depressing me again.  Not because he’s negative but because I think he’s right.  All truth bombs.  And his next contract will likely be his last.  If your Kap do you say, I’ll hang here and watch another few coaches come and go, get another GM and hope for a second round playoff birth surrounded by journeyman and 20 yr olds OR jump to contender who already has a couple superstars and is a couple free agent acquisitions away from a deep run.  If a trade has to happen is Guerin the guy you want working the phones?

don’t be dumb bill 

You didn't see McDavid or Ovechkin clamoring to jump ship when their teams were doing poor.

Yes, there is a potential future for the Wild with Kaprizov and without him, but no one here knows how Kaprizov really feels about it.  He could have made up his mind years ago and nothing might change that.

We don't know.  So saying we have to do x to keep him is stupid.  We might not need to do anything.  Even doing x might not sway him one bit and might be detrimental to the longevity of what's being built, leaving us worse off in the long run.

The point is that the only person who knows for certain what he wants is Kaprizov himself.  I'd hope Guerin at least has a pulse on the situation and is keeping an open dialogue with Kaprizov so that he is generally positive about the outlook of the team and believes in the organization.  As long as that's occurring, there may not be a need to do anything more than continue forward per Guerin's plan - something else we don't know much about. 

Outwardly we criticize things at times because we don't have the whole picture or were hoping for more, but it might still be the right/best call given the situation.  Kaprizov is likely given more insight into that than we are, and his reasoning could be skewed further to one side than what our perception of the same situation is.

• Like 1