Hockey Wilderness

Observations on a 5-2 preseason win

I'm not sure if anyone else watched the game versus Winnipeg, but as I had nothing much better to do, I thought I would do a quick recap on our guys and also some familiar names not in green anymore.

It was definitely a preseason game, but I thought both teams were engaged and the score and shot totals were misleading.  Winnipeg had 40 shots while just 28 for the wild.  So, my first observation is that Wallstedt looked good in net, but there weren't a lot of high danger chances.  When he was tested with some quality shots, he turned them aside except the last one, which happened with minimal time left in the third period.  The first goal was a powerplay goal that he was screened on, and Miller put a good shot in.  I thought he controlled rebounds into the corners well and his positioning was good.

Kahkonen played for Winnipeg and didn't look great letting in 5 on 28 shots, but I don't think Winnipeg did him any favors.  Bankier scored the first on a power play, which was a result of hard work and Winnipeg not clearing the puck.  The second was another PP with Hunt ripping a nice shot from high on a nice entry into the zone by the power play.  Kahkonen was screened on the shot, so I don't blame him much for that goal either.  

Lauko scored on a breakaway and Clarke tipped in a kind of flukey goal in the second period.  Ben Jones capitalized on a bit of a blown coverage in the third to finish the scoring for the Wild.

I thought Chisholm looked like our best defenseman out there and had a good game.  I also thought Hunt played well, and he could be a call up for an injury if needed.  Merrill looked like Merrill and will be a serviceable 7th Dman for this season.  My biggest deal with Lambos is that he seems too nonchalant in his own end with the puck.  He did play well, but he needs to clean up this part of his game if he is going to stick in the NHL.  Crotty looked like a serviceable AHLer and could also be called up if needed. Parker will keep honing his craft and shot in Juniors most likely.  All in all, no real surprises for the defensemen.

For the forwards, I didn't see any surprises either.  I liked the effort out of our Bottom 6 guys and the projected AHL guys(Gaudreau looked good albeit its preseason). I think we will end up liking Lauko. Seemed like a high energy guy who could throw his weight around, which is as advertised. 

Speaking of high energy guys, Mason Shaw was playing for Winnipeg and doing Mason Shaw things.  Basically, being a pest and getting into a scrap.  I hope he continues to play in the NHL even if it's different team.

As for Bankier, I think he is close to being an NHL player.  He has good instincts, but I would like to see a little more speed and excelleration to his game.  He is still young and filling out, but I see he has a path to the NHL if he keeps putting in the work.

Ritchie looked alright and definitely needs more time, but he didn't look out of place.  Not bad for an 18 year old.  I also think it was interesting that Hynes played Bankier and Ritchie on the first power play unit, but that's what preseason is for.  

Thats what I gathered from the Wilds' first preseason game.  

• Like 4

Jones looked good, had a really nice setup to create a scoring chance and draw a penalty. 

Hunt was engaged and had some offensive chances. 3-4 shots on goal. I hate to lose a guy like that for the sake of Merrill so hopefully any upcoming trades don't ship out too many younger guys. Hunt, Lambos, are beginning to approach the age when NHL hockey arrival happens for defenseman. 

Shaw with a beauty block on a Chisholm point-shot and saucer pass in the 3rd. Wallstedt made a nice save, easy read for him. Gonna miss Shaw but he was hurt so much. Tough to plan on him long-term. 

It looks like Guerin has really added depth from the bottom up. Good young players. Solid AHL contributors, and some guys who could easily do the job Duhaime, Dewar, or Shaw were doing last year. Ritchie looks like he will turn into a solid player. 

I'm looking at the timing and wondering if Guerin doesn't watch a month or two of hockey and then make a trade to add an NHL guy using some of the young talent. MN has nice players who can't all fit. At what point do you have those future rosters penciled-in??? Hunt or Lambos have to look at the Chisholm acquisition or the Buium pick and think, "oh great."

Forwards like Haight, Bankier, or especially Ritchie, have to expect to wait a few years til there's even a sniff at an open roster slot. You're gonna have to bump a veteran out of the lineup or pay AHL dues. For some players a trade might be the best thing for them. 

Merrill's game contains no risk but also contains no opportunity.  He is like a default setting on the ice in slow mo.  Hunt easily should have his spot at 7D.

Lambos plays a heavier game, and seems to have good speed but just hasn't put it together yet.  

Chisholm was good last year and looked good last night but his problem is risk/reward decision making on the blue line.  He telegraphed a shot that Shaw easily blocked which led to a breakaway.   Also, I was hoping he was going to come in a little bigger and stronger but didn't see it.

Offensively, Freddy looked good, but he is a vet playing with boys.  He looked slow, rusty and not too energized.  It's understandable but he has a lot to prove this year.

Bankier is a guy I really like but he is going to need a year or two to simmer and develop.

There were guys with moments (Jones and Lauko particularly) but nothing consistent... but what is to be expected in a game like that.  

The best part of it all is that hockey is back and I find it funny that I got so psyched to watch that shit show and enjoyed it... haha.

• Like 1