Hockey Wilderness

Article: Jesper Wallstedt's Future Was Now -- Until It Wasn't

Agree.  I like the way Guerin is handling Jesper intro to the big leagues.

Best case scenario: GUS returns to the form he was in when he played post trade when he was playing for his next contract.  This GUS gets traded at this years deadline and return a solid middle 6 forward.

Worst case scenario: GUS again plays this season similar to last season (and reverts back to the young goalie prospect Ottawa was willing to cut bait on for journeyman goalie T-Bot)

Meanwhile, Wally gets this season to play in NHL with training wheels and Fleury there as his Emotional Support Animal.  

• Like 2

It also helps that the start of the season isn't bogged down by Addison, Merrill, Mermis, and Goligoski.  Instead, you get Spurgeon back with Middleton, Bogo, Chisholm, and Faber one year older.

I'd like to think many of Gus (and Fleury's) problems were a result of the defense being a mess last year.  They played better when Bogo and Chisholm were added, but you can't tell me Brodin/Faber and Middleton/Spurgeon doesn't settle things down quite a bit.  If Spurgeon gets anywhere close to his former self, you really only have Merrill at #7 that's "kinda" weak.  There's no excuse for Gus and Fleury to improve from 55-60 in both major categories.  You'd also assume Wallstedt would not surrender 7 to a Dallas team if the D is on their game.

This is a chance for a refresh for a lot of people on the team.  If the defense plays the way they always do, the goaltending trio has no one else to blame if they falter.

• Like 2

I see this in two ways.  I get why they are bringing him along slowly and they want him to have confidence.  We admit that the AHL team lacks defense yet he is still posting very good numbers.  Impressive.  At this point I kind of doubt the AHL is actually helping his confidence. He is getting it because he is just that good.

I don't like spending money on a player when you have so much confidence in the guy waiting in line.  That money could have been used to bring in needed help and potentially made it easier on whoever was playing goalie.

If we are depending on the D to help improve the goalie situation and believe it will be better because of the D, why not have the Wall step up and play.  At some point you must role the dice and take a chance with the cap space you have....playing it safe constantly is not getting us a cup.