Hockey Wilderness

Article: Why Is Caedan Bankier’s Stock Rising?

Robert Brent

The Wild roster is in flux over the next 3-5 years, despite what contracts were given out.  Who knows what happens from year to year.  Rossi went from chewing ice to scoring 20.  He changed to a guy who when on the ice, the game felt different.  Other people get several chances only to just flat out stink.  It's up to each player to define what they are going to be.  I think Bankier needs to be the type of person who make an impact if he gets called up. 

• Like 3

Along with the guys already projected to be on the roster, let's investigate who Bankier is competing with. Stramel, Kumpulainen, Lorenz are the larger bottom 6 forwards in the organization, and that doesn't include next year's class. 

Bankier's frame at 6'2" 192 should be updated after this tournament. He needs to be at 202 at this point. I like Bankier and hope he is filling out appropriately. The other bottom 6 prospects may not be as good at scoring as he is right now, but he's got to be willing to use his body to separate people from the puck.

Yes, that makes him interesting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Up North Guy said:

I can see the Wild projecting the next 2-3 years and looking at their assets. Trying to project who will move up to replace veterans departing or being forced out will be huge. What players do they bring up and what players do they use as trade capital? Bankier could be on both lists.

I think that's why you hear Guerin say, "We want someone to really take the spot."

I'm paraphrasing, but they want to make easy decisions. For all the prospects, they need to show up big and prove it. 

That's was was strange about Rossi the first try, he stood out in pre-season. He ended up back in the AHL but at this point the only negative with him is the size and style of hockey. I think most teams can find a way to fit that in. Especially, MN cause they gave a ton of TOI to NoJo.(wtf)

• Like 2

Let's hope that he is the number one prospect to be called up over Sammy Walker.  Let's hope that the Sammy Walker train has left the station.  We all know about the contracts and who needs to go.  But if he is playing well enough in Iowa they will definitely call him up and give him a shot.  His size and defensive game give him that chance. 

2 hours ago, 1Brotherbill said:

But if he is playing well enough in Iowa they will definitely call him up and give him a shot.

Bankier would be in the mix, but likely depends upon what they need and who is playing the best when the call needs to be made.

Travis Boyd, Graeme Clarke, Topper Harley, and Brendan Gaunce could also be considered.

This just came to me and maybe it's just in passing... I would love to see all of our top prospects stick around the minors for the first couple of months. 

If the talent pool is as promising as sold, then let's have them play together as much as possible to learn each others games and become a "band of brothers" so to speak. 

After a couple of months start integrating them into the system on as needed basis and in a few years we can call this team the "class of 2024" when they are hoisting the cup.

18 hours ago, 1Brotherbill said:

Let's hope that he is the number one prospect to be called up over Sammy Walker.  Let's hope that the Sammy Walker train has left the station.  We all know about the contracts and who needs to go.  But if he is playing well enough in Iowa they will definitely call him up and give him a shot.  His size and defensive game give him that chance. 

I don't think we will see Sammy in Minnesota again unless all hell breaks out.

8 hours ago, Fezig said:

This just came to me and maybe it's just in passing... I would love to see all of our top prospects stick around the minors for the first couple of months. 

If the talent pool is as promising as sold, then let's have them play together as much as possible to learn each others games and become a "band of brothers" so to speak. 

After a couple of months start integrating them into the system on as needed basis and in a few years we can call this team the "class of 2024" when they are hoisting the cup.

nice idea but if they are 19 or younger and coming from Canada Juniors they are not eligible for the minors. It is either NHL or back to juniors.

• Like 1

Verified Member
14 hours ago, Up North Guy said:

nice idea but if they are 19 or younger and coming from Canada Juniors they are not eligible for the minors. It is either NHL or back to juniors.

I wasn't really thinking of that. I had more traditional minor league thinking in my head and not the 751 different options that hockey has.

Bankier can hopefully play 3rd line C and Stramel 4th line. JEE or Yurov at 1st line C. Could have Rossi or Yurov play 2nd line C or try one of them out at wing. Either way it’s a nice problem to have. First time the Wild have had this issue.

On 9/17/2024 at 6:20 PM, Protec said:

I think most teams can find a way to fit that in. Especially, MN cause they gave a ton of TOI to NoJo.(wtf)

What is mystifying is that Johansson is listed at 6'1" 203. Yet he plays to a smaller size than Rossi. One would then have to question: Is it the measurement of the player or how he plays with his measurement?

Obviously, Johansson played all but 5 seconds of last season as if he had Spurgeon's measurements. What were the 5 seconds? See Radko Gudas. By the way, those 5 seconds include Johansson apologizing for the contact.

On the other side of this equation, how much flack did Gudas take when asked how he was on IR? I got hit by Marcus Johansson. Chuckles fly through the room.

Edited by mnfaninnc

2 hours ago, Mateo3xm said:

Bankier can hopefully play 3rd line C and Stramel 4th line. JEE or Yurov at 1st line C. Could have Rossi or Yurov play 2nd line C or try one of them out at wing. Either way it’s a nice problem to have. First time the Wild have had this issue.

What if the Wild put out a forward line where anyone of the forwards could play center and they just played a 3 forward game and the guy furthest back takes up center responsibilities heading back to his own end? It could be any of them, it's just that one of them has to know where the other 2 are when deep. At that point, all that is settled is where they line up on the face off and who takes it.

Verified Member

Would really like to see Bankier in all situations over the preseason. He’s finally getting the intrigue I think he should’ve gotten a couple years ago! Now it’s just a matter of season what he can become.