Hockey Wilderness

Article: The Wild Have Some Future NHLers Headlining the Tom Kurvers Prospect Tournament This Weekend

Luke Sims

Goaltending was the difference. Chicago's goalie made a lot of big stops. Vaj played okay, but the one softie is the game-winner. Ryder Rolston for Chicago getting the go-ahead and game-winning goal. MN's forwards a little too cute and too many minor penalties. The refs did help the Hawks in that regard but gotta find a way to stay out of the box. The call on O'Brian which led to a Chicago goal was complete garbage. Refs need to go un-noticed, not being the focal point.

MnFaninNC would love my comment. The Hawks had two or three guys who looked like giants compared to the Wild players. One of them (and I can't remember his name right now...Benton maybe?) only had one job and that was too stand in front of his net and grab whatever Wild player there by the neck. He rag dolled a couple and it wasn't pretty. I have to believe that the refs would not let that go in a real game.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Up North Guy said:

MnFaninNC would love my comment. The Hawks had two or three guys who looked like giants compared to the Wild players. One of them (and I can't remember his name right now...Benton maybe?) only had one job and that was too stand in front of his net and grab whatever Wild player there by the neck. He rag dolled a couple and it wasn't pretty. I have to believe that the refs would not let that go in a real game.

I thought the refs were brutal. They let a lot of that go for Chicago. They called back a MN goal where the CHI defenseman had MN's guy boxed into the tendy.

It looked to me like MN outplayed them and just had a few small mistakes and bad calls that cost them. They were called for twice as many minor penalties at least.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Will D. Ness said:

Wild PP looked sharp.  Spacek did good QB.  Bankier looks legit.  Haight and Heidt looked good but clearly not NHL ready IMO.  Biggest surprise was Toporowski.  

Didn't see what I wanted to see out of Lambos.  I did see what I wanted to see out of Leskovar.  

Big-Stevie blasted a guy prior to CHI's 3rd goal. It was too bad because the big hit was overshadowed. Lambos didn't stand out against CHI.

Anybody see the results from today against STL??? I looked but didn't see it and wasn't able to catch any of the stream.

1 hour ago, Protec said:

I thought the refs were brutal. They let a lot of that go for Chicago. They called back a MN goal where the CHI defenseman had MN's guy boxed into the tendy.

It looked to me like MN outplayed them and just had a few small mistakes and bad calls that cost them. They were called for twice as many minor penalties at least.

That is what I saw too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will D. Ness said:

Wild PP looked sharp.  Spacek did good QB.  Bankier looks legit.  Haight and Heidt looked good but clearly not NHL ready IMO.  Biggest surprise was Toporowski.  

Didn't see what I wanted to see out of Lambos.  I did see what I wanted to see out of Leskovar.  

I thought i saw some glimpses from Lambos. It was not consistent enough but was there. He was using the body, but just a little too selectively. Agree on Bankier, Heidt and Haight. Toporowski was a huge surprise to me. I know virtually nothing about him.

• Like 2

I think that was last year perhaps?

Today was a loss 2-6 to STL. They lit up Wutzke with breakaways and tip-ins. Tough game for him. MN had defensive breakdowns and Leskovar got burned a couple times.

Meaningless games but hate to lose to STL or CHI in any event. Bankier had a goal and if you include the one called back made a nice weekend for him. Heidt looked good this weekend but not super obvious he's ready for the NHL. Wanna see him with some better players. Another year of juniors is my prediction. 

• Like 1

Yeah, if Heidt thinks he's ready, he's got to come back down to earth a bit.  Nazar on Chicago looks ready to challenge for a spot.  Bolduc on Saint Louis looks ready to challenge.  The only player on the Wild side who looked like they could be an interesting call-up was Bankier, and even then if only say in the case of an injury (though I'd like to see him really show what he can do and stick around for a while in pre-season).  Heidt looks talented, but he needs to cook a bit more before bringing him to the table.

• Like 1