Hockey Wilderness

Article: Zeev Buium Brings A New-Age NHL Skillset

Justin Wiggins

I wasn't able to watch the draft due to work, but I was absolutely stoked that we got him and the shocked we got him at 12.  I think he is NHL ready, but college is the best bet for this year.  Not much left to prove, but maybe he makes a run at the Hobey Baker.  

I think this could be an interesting year for the wild and should be fun to watch competitive development.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Dango said:

Off topic, but it says we have a pre season game next week ,  is there training camp going on  now or am i missing something?   

Scrimmage games this week and the first preseason game next Sat. At Winnipeg.

• Like 1

The NFL just started playing. That means the scent of hockey is in the air. Typically that indicates prospect tournament/showcase, training camp and preseason games!

On Buium, I'd still like to see a little more meat on the bones with him. Why? Defending, you have the biggest guys on the planet and strongest guys on the planet playing in the N. You've got to have the strength to counter their drives, especially if off balance. I think Faber found that out last season. For Faber, it's only about adding 10 lbs. For Buium, I would think 10-15 lbs. of strength would be good enough. Right now, he'd be playing at Dumba weight. We all saw what happened when Dumba had to tangle with the heavyweights.

The strength/weight for Buium isn't to throw massive checks, it's simply to have the strength to subdue an opponent, and to take the NHL punishment, to keep him healthy. I see him not being very physical but having superior skating and stick work much like Brodin, but there comes a time when you need that bulk. Brodin could have used another 10 lbs. and been even more awesome. (5 upper body, 5 in the butt)

• Like 2