Hockey Wilderness

Article: Alex Goligoski Looks Like A Future GM After 17 Years In the League

Congrats to Goligoski on a long and great career. However, I do fail to see how he would be a fit as a GM. The article paints his career but I don’t see the correlation but maybe it’s just me. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Amaddeo said:

Congrats to Goligoski on a long and great career. However, I do fail to see how he would be a fit as a GM. The article paints his career but I don’t see the correlation but maybe it’s just me. 

It might be the same as that coach mantra.  "It isn't always the best players who make the best coaches." Goligoski was always a solid depth defenseman, so he's probably seen a little of everything and everyone.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amaddeo said:

The Athletic had an article this week on Goligoski and he has said he might like to be a GM down the road.  He's taking time off this year with family, but it sounds like Guerin has invited him to do some work with the team if he's interested in doing so down the road.

I wouldn't mind seeing an article on Kumpulainen getting 2 goals and an assist in his Finland debut yesterday.

Also might be a good time to update on the prospect showcase this weekend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Amaddeo said:

However, I do fail to see how he would be a fit as a GM.

Goligoski has had a lot of playing experience, but most importantly, it's been with several different teams. He seen a lot, especially with the way different organizations look at different players. This makes him a very good candidate......for the front office.

Goligoski is quite far from this goal as of right now. I could see him taking a couple of years off, but eventually sneaking into the Wild front office. I'd start him off, if I were Guerin, working with the defenders within the organization, specifically the prospects. He'd be breaking down tape and learning to scout his own team. At some point, I may make him AGM of Iowa, or even GM of the Heartlanders. 

Over 1,000 games qualifies Goligoski as a respected defender in the league. The young guys will know his name. He's also undersized, and so are most of our prospects, so his voice will have the room. We really don't have anyone near Goligoski's experience in the organization for the defensemen. 

Bring him along on Judd's team near the end of the season to start breaking down draft eligible player's games. I'm sure he has a good handle on what is coachable and what talents aren't. Eventually, he will take over the GM role for Matt Hendricks in Iowa, and then be pretty much fresh meat if he does a good job there. I would say he's got a good 5 years of training in the front office before he gets to the GM step. And, I think he might be pretty good at it. 

• Like 2