Hockey Wilderness

Article: It's Liam Ohgren's Time To Shine

Luke Sims

20 minutes ago, Will D. Ness said:

I like Ohgren's chances of making the team.  Physically he is NHL ready and probably the epitome of MNCfan's mantra.

Agreed. It would be disappointing if he weren't able to make the team, but I think he brings the type of well-rounded game and tough to play against aspects that will secure him a spot with the NHL Wild this season.

• Like 4

What I’m most excited about the Wild this season is the potential for chemistry to develop between the younger players. I include KK, Ek in that mix. This can be the beginning of something special  as new players join the team. I’ve never been more excited about the team’s future, and for me the future starts now. Batter up. 

• Like 6

Mojo got it because Foligno was hurt and Ohgren/etc weren't available until way too late.  The coaches didn't trust Beckman and Walker enough as prospects, and Dewar/Shaw/Duhaime were the perfect 4th line guys.

The plan for this season seems to be, "let's have better fail-safes if shit hits the fan."

Ohgren will get his chances.  Maybe it'll be 3rd or 4th line at first, but outside of Hartman, no one else has proven to be a solid scorer to keep up with Rossi.

Edited by Citizen Strife
  • Like 2

Here's what I like about Ogie, he's a large player and plays large. He's got oodles of strength. He reminds me of Nino before he hit that Pittsburgh defender into the open door. (Maata)

I think he makes the team out of camp and ends up being the Ek on PP2. And now, if Ek gets hurt, we have another net front guy for the PP. Ogie does have an injury history, though they seem like kind of freaky things. He's also got some good chemistry with Dino. 

I'm thinking a 3rd line of Foligno-Dino-Ohgren, might be a pretty good line. 

Ohgren is exactly the type of player that Heinzy loves! He'll be a coach's favorite.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Here's what I like about Ogie, he's a large player and plays large. He's got oodles of strength. He reminds me of Nino before he hit that Pittsburgh defender into the open door. (Maata)

I think he makes the team out of camp and ends up being the Ek on PP2. And now, if Ek gets hurt, we have another net front guy for the PP. Ogie does have an injury history, though they seem like kind of freaky things. He's also got some good chemistry with Dino. 

I'm thinking a 3rd line of Foligno-Dino-Ohgren, might be a pretty good line. 

Ohgren is exactly the type of player that Heinzy loves! He'll be a coach's favorite.

That could be a pretty effective 3rd line and hard to play against.

• Like 2

My hope for Ogie is that he could be like a Wyatt Johnston. Not that he plays center or I expect an immediate acclimation amongst all-stars like Johnston in Dallas. Ogie could be like Johnston in that each of them was picked around the same spot and once in the NHL make an important impact. Johnston made it quickly but was well-insulated with the Stars. He was viewed by scouts as a capable player with Canada that was overshadowed and was playing a support role. He could have been a 1C but was being used as a 3C. 

It would be nice to see Ogie healthy and showing his roles with Sweden or in the SHL were under the radar. Players on a Sweden National team don't have to stand out every game to be valuable. Sure Swedes selected in the single digits succeed but Ogie is not a meatball over his skis. I like his chances to maintain trajectory and be more consistent than Duhaime or Dewar. If he keeps his current pace, we're looking at a 41pt guy just like Johnston at the end of his first full season. 

Now I'd normally prefer a NA guy but Hornqvuisst, P. Forsberg, Franzen, and Ek, are all Swedes who have been powerful, tough, players. For Ogie, having Ek, Brodin, Gus, Wallstedt, or even 2nd-attempt, failed-experiment, NoJo should provide an insulated environment where Ohgren can play a big role without the pressure that could fall on a 1st round pick on a younger team with less depth than the Wild. 

• Like 4

Ohgren is the player I'm most looking forward to watching this year.  In the limited games last year, I saw a kid who was quick to diagnose the other team defensively and who wasn't hesitant about pushing toward the net offensively.  With at and the effort, he is exactly the type of player I like to root for.  I'm really hoping he gets a 3rd or 4th spot this season and does well.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 1:35 PM, Protec said:

My hope for Ogie is that he could be like a Wyatt Johnston. Not that he plays center or I expect an immediate acclimation amongst all-stars like Johnston in Dallas. Ogie could be like Johnston in that each of them was picked around the same spot and once in the NHL make an important impact. Johnston made it quickly but was well-insulated with the Stars. He was viewed by scouts as a capable player with Canada that was overshadowed and was playing a support role. He could have been a 1C but was being used as a 3C. 

It would be nice to see Ogie healthy and showing his roles with Sweden or in the SHL were under the radar. Players on a Sweden National team don't have to stand out every game to be valuable. Sure Swedes selected in the single digits succeed but Ogie is not a meatball over his skis. I like his chances to maintain trajectory and be more consistent than Duhaime or Dewar. If he keeps his current pace, we're looking at a 41pt guy just like Johnston at the end of his first full season. 

Now I'd normally prefer a NA guy but Hornqvuisst, P. Forsberg, Franzen, and Ek, are all Swedes who have been powerful, tough, players. For Ogie, having Ek, Brodin, Gus, Wallstedt, or even 2nd-attempt, failed-experiment, NoJo should provide an insulated environment where Ohgren can play a big role without the pressure that could fall on a 1st round pick on a younger team with less depth than the Wild. 

As long as he doesn't copy NoJo's efforts from last year.