Hockey Wilderness

Article: Travis Boyd Has A Big Opportunity This Preseason

While I think it's more likely he'll be in Iowa than not to start the season, I did find that Boyd's points/60 for his career of 1.76 is higher than the 1.72 Johansson has produced in a Wild jersey over his 3 seasons in Minnesota, and considerably higher than the 1.45 points/60 minutes NoJo had last season.

• Like 5

Verified Member
25 minutes ago, Up North Guy said:

I foresee Boyd making the team as replacement for NoJo when he goes on LTIR for forgetting how to put on his skates.

The left and right shoe can be difficult, my two year old niece struggles with it too.

• Haha 5

Boyd, when fully recovered from injury, is a for sure upgrade over last season’s call-ups. The Wild can’t afford another season of getting caught with too many AHL players filling in. I give the Wild credit for raising their floor after missing out on picking up a bonafide top six player. There’s always a place for a player willing to crash the net. One of the things I’m looking forward to this season is seeing what deadline pickups are possible if the Wild are in the hunt. I’m sure a top six forward that could be resigned is at the top of the list. 

We are currently projecting Boyd to make the team out of camp as a healthy scratch.

Who is this "we"? It is very true that the Wild usually break camp with 22 players. Usually they have 1 healthy scratch defender and forward. They're at home the 1st game, so I wouldn't expect them to have a healthy forward scratch at that time. I would expect them to go with 21 the 1st game and try to build up some cap space from the beginning. But, then the road games pick up, and we'll need scratches for that.

So, if this "we" is right, who is it that Boyd knocks off the throne? I think a safer bet is to put him in Iowa to start. Maybe he can tear it up in the A?

• Like 1