Hockey Wilderness

Article: Three Retooling Teams Could Target Kaprizov If He Doesn't Extend In Minnesota

Verified Member

My guess is he’d like to live in Florida. Seems to spend time there and both franchises have good GMs. They both have, know how and have the balls to do something big. The NYR rangers have the  big stage to play on , panarin his buddy I think an a gm that takes big swings over peoples feelings . Then I could never count out Vegas . Entertainment capital, one of the most aggressive GMs and ownership. They always get what they want. So those would be my 4. Detroit does make sense for the fact Russians probably grew up hearing about the Russian 5 . Whether they have the talent to entice him or the gm to make it happen , idk . 
     I don’t think who’s got salary cap room matters at this time. If and when teams decide to take a run at him you’ll see them clearing salary. Probably next summer. A deal that big starts getting talked about  now within an organization. 
   Russo made a comment about Billy having multiple conversations with kappy about future. He seemed to think it wasn’t a good thing  but who knows. I tend to agree with Russo. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dean said:

The NYR rangers

Agree 100% with Dean. If Kap leaves he’s not heading to Ottawa or Detroit. If the Wild are not a big enough stage for KK it’s going to be a bright lights destination. Which somehow includes the Florida teams, ( not sure how that happened exactly.) I still think the Wild have a 50/50 chance of keeping KK. If KK decides to move on and BG gets anywhere near equal compensation I will be, let’s just say, pleasantly surprised. 

Verified Member

That’ll be a NOPA from me. I’d hate to see him go, but if he does decide to, we better get something substantial in return than letting him walk for nothing. Have the Red Wings really been that bad? They were good when I was growing up…

1 hour ago, Dean said:

My guess is he’d like to live in Florida. Seems to spend time there and both franchises have good GMs. They both have, know how and have the balls to do something big. The NYR rangers have the  big stage to play on , panarin his buddy I think an a gm that takes big swings over peoples feelings . Then I could never count out Vegas . Entertainment capital, one of the most aggressive GMs and ownership. They always get what they want. So those would be my 4. Detroit does make sense for the fact Russians probably grew up hearing about the Russian 5 .

Dean poses some great targets here. But what would be the packages that they would give up? Those might be really good destinations, but they have to offer something really good in return.

Now, out of the 3 teams Kalisha mentions, I think Detroit would be the most logical destination for what Dean says here, and Datsuyk is probably one of his heroes. I like working a package around Lucas Raymond as Detroit would need to shed some salary. 

If it were Ottawa, I wouldn't target Stutzle, I'd target B. Tkachuk. Cap number is almost the same, and we'd need a bit more. They do not have a good farm system, but I do like Tomson their young defender. But, why would Kaprizov waive his NMC to go to Ottawa?

This is where Dean has an advantage, he's looking for teams that Kaprizov would waive to go to. On this list, only Detroit makes a little sense. What could LA offer? How about Edmonton?

I'm still thinking everything's going to be fine. I think Kaprizov will resign here. I think he likes it here, and I think he sees some guys coming in that he can mentor into champions. Shooter has been slow walking them into the league, trying to stagger the experience, and I think Kaprizov knows that his deep playoff runs will only consist of about 1/2 the guys he sees on the team this season. 

I know this is probably a dead horse, but change needs to be visible, felt. Change is one of those intangibles that can bring excitement. One thing to do for change is revamping the X. Yet, that's really expensive. Another thing is reworking the gameday presentation, especially the audio, and much different visuals on the big screen. That's less expensive. I think the fans will most notice a change of jerseys, and going to the '78s both home and away is a great way to promote change. 

No longer is it the stingy defensive oriented team. We've now got a new exciting product with a lot of kids with skill. That's what a real jersey change in colors visualizes. The rumor came and is now dead, but next year could be the year. I think it's a year too late, because that will be when Kaprizov makes his decision. I think we needed the change this year. Here's the main issue, listening to national broadcasts and other team's announcers, they rave over the '78s. I would choose the '80s personally, but making a huge visual switch which will drive merchandise sales, I think, is the best way to go. 

When in school, and we had to give speeches we got 2 grades. One was content, one was presentation. Our current Wild jersey presentation grade is around a D, well below average. For the State of Hockey to be in that spot, this is a crime. Our presentation grade should be a high B or an A. Come on FO and Ownership, make the switch! You need new life into this organization!

• Like 2

If Kaprizov isn't signed to an extension by 2026 trade deadline, there will be 2 types of GMs in the NHL - those who give Billy a call to at least kick the tyres, and those not doing their job.

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that T. Thompson or T. Stutzle will be traded for a Kap rental. Those two players are basically their teams #1 centers and have both recorded 90pt seasons already. It’s fun to think about but the Raymond trade is the most likely out of all of it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sam said:

That’ll be a NOPA from me. I’d hate to see him go, but if he does decide to, we better get something substantial in return than letting him walk for nothing. Have the Red Wings really been that bad? They were good when I was growing up…

We probably won’t get anything near what he’s worth because Everyone would know he’d want to walk. He also has somewhat of a say in where he goes on top of that because of what’s in his contract. He would basically be a rental unless part of the trade negotiations involve him signing an extension. We will never get a player like Stutzle or Thompson in return. It’d more likely be someone like Raymond but I don’t think it’ll even be that high of a caliber player honestly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

They do not have a good farm system, but I do like Tomson their young defender.

Ottawa has some of the best up and coming young players in the League. They were one of the youngest teams last year. Thompson plays center mostly and wing not defense.

1 hour ago, Mateo3xm said:

Ottawa has some of the best up and coming young players in the League. They were one of the youngest teams last year. Thompson plays center mostly and wing not defense.

Lassi Thomson is the guy I was thinking of. He's an RHS defender, another puck mover, but at least an RHS. 6' 190 23 yrs. old. What am I thinking, he's not bulked up????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mateo3xm said:

He would basically be a rental unless part of the trade negotiations involve him signing an extension.

He won't be traded as a rental, he simply won't agree to that. If he says he wants to go (and it will be quietly), Guerin will ask him where and beg for 3-4 teams. He'll then try to make the best deal possible for the Wild. If it's like Dean has suggested, and he's put forth some pretty good arguments for them, I don't know what they have that would entice us, but, Huberdeau went to Calgary with Weegar. 

• Like 2

Verified Member

Leon 14 mill per season extension for 8 years  , Kaprizov aint taking less than 10-11 ,  just so that he can get a cup somewhere else  .

I would be shocked if Kappy took 8-9 million for 8 years .