Hockey Wilderness

Article: Is Danila Yurov A Better Prospect Than Marco Rossi?

Verified Member
17 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

how is he a mirror image of one of the game's toughest player to play against and fantastic skill wise too. i am really curious? was Marchand timid, and knocked around? 

Lol. Rossi goes to the paint more than any player on the Wild besides Ek.  😂😂😂 But yeah "timid"

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Lol. Rossi goes to the paint more than any player on the Wild besides Ek.  😂😂😂 But yeah "timid"

Well then let’s say he is also the next coming of John LeClair

The above comp is just as ridiculous as comparing him to Marchand

maybe to Bouchard or Granlund or Miettinen or Belanger or Casey wellman ok - but to Marchand????? What about Marcel Dionne? Seems like good comp

Verified Member

Why not,  when i was a kid playing at my peak hockey level " street hockey"  using tennis balls ,baseball mits  ,garbage cans as the goal  ,  we did have real sticks though, i was either my  profile pic  or i was Henry Boucha .

1 hour ago, OldDutchChip said:

Even though the stats were nearly a perfect match between Rossi and Marchand at ages 21 & 22, I prefer Daniel Briere for a Rossi comp.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Even though the stats were nearly a perfect match between Rossi and Marchand at ages 21 & 22, I prefer Daniel Briere for a Rossi comp.

I agree

stats comparing by themselves can lead to unfair assumptions

Verified Member
1 hour ago, OldDutchChip said:

maybe to Bouchard or Granlund or Miettinen or Belanger or Casey wellman ok - but to Marchand????? What about Marcel Dionne? Seems like good comp

Virtually identical height,weight, goals and assist at the same point in their respective careers.  That's why. Not sure why you chug so much Rossi Hateorade but it comes across as unhinged and pedantic.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Virtually identical height,weight, goals and assist at the same point in their respective careers.  That's why. Not sure why you chug so much Rossi Hateorade but it comes across as unhinged and pedantic.

Ok Marco Marchand he is

Provisional Member

I'd like to see Rossi's rookie season compared to the rookie seasons of other 2C's around the league. I would guess he's in the upper tier, comparatively. I hope Guerin is over looking to move him... Everyone understands how critical center depth is and we're finally on the path to having some. Let the kid continue to play meaningful minutes and pay him if he takes the next step. I think some added confidence going into his second full season is going to do wonders. Excited to see his development next year!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnhockeyfan03 said:

Agree I am not talking big hits just being physical.  I saw many fly bys last year or just half effort hits.  Against big strong teams as well I saw them just push him out of the way and he would fall down.  That’s what I want to see an improvement on and also more speed to catch up from behind. 

I didn't see him pushed down as much as the previous season and that was only 19 games. Late in the year, I think he was more susceptible to this. However, I thought his explosion was back, and I noticed a large improvement in his 1st 5 steps. 

Reports are that he has come in even stronger this season, so that will help. Hopefully, he is working right now with Andy Ness to get the acceleration going more quickly. He did have good catch up speed, and I did notice a few turnover picks from behind. He's pretty good at picking a defender's pocket. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I love big hits, probably more than anyone here. But to put a requirement like this on Rossi I think is a little overkill. There's a difference between flybys, which I cannot stand, and bumps to knock a guy off balance, and then just creaming a guy in the corner (which still had not happened to Morrissey for the Staal cross check). Flybys are inexcusable, but it a player can bump a guy off balance and steal the puck, I have no problem with that, and I've seen Rossi do it. He's got the leverage to pop someone like that too.

But, for the real big hits, guys need to be a little further up the scale, like in the Ek class, or even the Foligno class of players. On a different topic, this is exactly the problem that O'Rourke has run into. He wants to play a game that needs an Ek class type body and is trying to use a Beckman class body to do it. There is only 1 outcome here, injury. It would be one thing if he was playing like Spurgeon's height and that weight, but he's not, he's playing a little taller than Faber is. 

This is why we need guys like Foligno, Trenin, Lauko, Middleton and Bogosian. They can change the course of a game and momentum with a big hit. Our home crowd cheers wildly when the big hits come. It gets the whole bench awake. We haven't used this tactic enough, IMO, but I think Heinzy likes to use it more than Evason did. 

So how much have those guys made the wild a contender?

Stuff like this makes me wonder... you canbe physical without being huge. 

You really need to get over that. Look at avg height vs avg weight over the years, I posted it. The big bruisers don't win over skill man.

11 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

Dude NONE of those guys put up 20 goals in their rookie year.

23 minutes ago, Need4speed99 said:

Dude NONE of those guys put up 20 goals in their rookie year.

And the point is what? Is Rossi better than Marcel D? Or Brad M?you can analyze and forecast a player using more than just stats and I fully disagree that Rossi comparison is akin to Marchand

Edited by OldDutchChip

19 hours ago, Patrick said:

I actually see Jonathan Marchessault as a comparison. He was a center but got switched to the wing later on. Both are very responsible defensively and I think Rossi has the potential to put up the same amount of points in my opinion. I’ve heard Rossi compared to Marchand in the way that he’s smaller but still good at guarding the puck. When Marchand started training with Crosby in the offseason that’s when his production seemed to start skyrocketing.

• Like 1

I actually think Yurov could potentially be a better player than Rossi based on his skill, size, two way play, intelligence etc. Rossi was extremely talented and at the top of his class in just about every level but Yurov did something that nobody has done before him. Breaking Tarasanko’s record for the U20 points record in the khl is extremely impressive. The khl is known as the second best league to the NHL and the fact he produced better than Buchnevich, Kuznetsov, Panarin, Kaprizov etc is extremely impressive. Yurov doesn’t have any weaknesses. I’m still a huge fan of Rossi though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mateo3xm said:

I actually think Yurov could potentially be a better player than Rossi based on his skill, size, two way play, intelligence etc.

I think you may be right with your projection. However, I think we have to take the balance sheet approach which is a snap shot in time. At this particular time, Rossi's rookie season in the N trumps any prospects season in a lower league. Does that mean that he won't be passed? No. But at this particular time, he's a better player. That could change after next season when Yurov comes over for his rookie year.

The same should be said about Faber too. Buium might be more dynamic offensively right now, have great potential, but 47 points in the N trumps anything Buium can do in the NCAAs. I guess this is more in line with the ODC method. 

I love young players and potential. I love watching them before they hit their prime and watching them learn and progress. I guess that's the coach in me. What I can't stand is seeing young players given a position and then constantly making the same mistakes over and over again. This seems to be the Guerin marination method, coach the mistakes out of them before they come to the N. 

• Like 1

Verified Member
On 8/29/2024 at 10:30 AM, Citizen Strife said:

I couldn't give two shits about how Yurov plays in Russia.  I didn't give a shit about Kaprizov, Boldy, or Faber's hype until they played in green either.  Same with Rossi.

Rossi has scored 40 pts for the Wild, with Wild players, up and down the lineup.  In most cases, he was usually the driving force of the line unless he was with Kaprizov and Boldy.  Then, it was almost even, or at best, he did what he was supposed to do and carry his weight and not fuck up.  There's every chance Rossi gets better, or has a slump.  You just don't know.  That's how competition works.

If Yurov ends up better than Rossi, that's a good problem for Guerin to have.  That's two guys who hit, making up for prospects who didn't.  For all we know, Yurov and Rossi play together, making each other better.  I'll just wait to see what Yurov does if or when he puts on a Wild sweater.

Agreed! Yurov will either keep improving or he won’t. It’s not my skillset to project his ceiling so I will  wait to see him in Iowa and then St. Paul.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pablo said:

Agreed! Yurov will either keep improving or he won’t. It’s not my skillset to project his ceiling so I will  wait to see him in Iowa and then St. Paul.  

Not sure Yurov will ever see Iowa unless he is looking for vast corn fields.

Verified Member
On 9/1/2024 at 9:33 AM, Up North Guy said:

Not sure Yurov will ever see Iowa unless he is looking for vast corn fields.

That would be great if he was just plug and play NHL big show ready next year.  And cornfields look the same in MN as they do in Iowa 🤣