Hockey Wilderness

Article: Riley Heidt Must Make the Most Of His Nine NHL Games This Year

12 minutes ago, FredJohnson said:

Or Heidt can take NoJo's spot and run with it.

Not sure Heidt can match Johansson for his level of physical intimidation. Let's not forget that Johansson delivered more than half a hit per game last year and put at least 1 guy on the injured list.

• Haha 5

If Heidt plays 9 games I’d be shocked. He’s developing ahead of schedule which is more than enough. The Wild are known to protect and slow role younger players. That being said he’s quickly become one of the players I’m most excited about. As you stated I’m not sure what league will be the best for him to take the next step. I see 2025 as the season that Wild training camp will be talked about nationally as  one to keep your eye on. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

Nic Petan and Sam Steel had goals in lower level too.

Very true! Heidt probably could use some Euro seasoning at this point.

Since you mentioned Petan, I'll add the KHL signing announcement.

Nic Petan has signed a one-year KHL contract with Ak Bars Kazan for the 2024-25 season, per a press release from the team. The 29-year-old was an AHL All-Star last season as a member of the Iowa Wild before being traded to the Hartford Wolf Pack at the deadline.

• Like 2

Verified Member
5 hours ago, FredJohnson said:

Or Heidt can take NoJo's spot and run with it.

Odgren is taking johansson spot. Height probably won't play a NHL game this year

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Verified Member

I think the article is a massive stretch and super hypothetical. I guess in August, all we could do is speculate. 

I think maybe Heidt gets 4-5 games near the end of the season maaaaybe. I don’t see it happening this year and seeing how the center position looks, I don’t know where he would fit if he did play some NHL games. Seasoning will be the best thing for him. 

• Like 2

I really do think the best thing with him to do is play him 9 games. Let him see what he's up against. 

If he tears it up give him more responsibility and run with it. If not send him down a d work on the things he will need to do in the nhl to be effective.

Atleast then he has an idea of what to expect and hopefully work hard to improve on that. 

• Like 1

Verified Member
7 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Not sure Heidt can match Johansson for his level of physical intimidation. Let's not forget that Johansson delivered more than half a hit per game last year and put at least 1 guy on the injured list.

How can we forget Gudas being run in the corner by Swedish neck-beard himself. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Protec said:

How can we forget Gudas being run in the corner by Swedish neck-beard himself. 

and then he apologized right after the hit. Gudas probably never thought he'd collide with him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just thought I'd try the above comment and see how it went over. It saved a lot of typing!

I do think Europe is the answer for Heidt, and my suggestion would be to try and get him on the team that Kumpulainen is playing on and on his line. It's in the Liiga and I don't know what strings Shooter would have to pull, but just do it.

I really wish we could have a feeder system in the Liiga for European players to play and at least play with each other. Doesn't Backy own a team over there? It looks like I may have whiffed on Koivu in the front office, I also thought I saw something about Backy, but I didn't see him on the staff sheet either.

• Like 1