Hockey Wilderness

Article: What's the Wild Next Big Move After Signing Faber?

Verified Member
56 minutes ago, Burnt Toast said:

Interesting UFA possibilities. Their next big move, and the one that will dictate what the Wild look like for the next 8 years is extending Kaprizov. Make sure you leave enough money for him. 

I hope they make another big move before then. Will signing Yurov count as a big move? 

• Like 2

If they can find a way to sign Brock Boeser, that would really be the only one worth it. You have some D prospects who will hopefully be able to fill in at the bottom of the lineup. 

Potential trades of Gustavson and Freddy could open up the cap space, and Zuccarello's $$ should be coming off the next year. But you have to allow the prospects to work their way up the lineup, especially as the Foligno's and Hartman's get older, are traded or retire. 

• Like 3

I appreciate Emily's article, however, while we all assume an ELC for Yurov is $925k, that's probably not accurate. The reason he's not here this year is that he wanted some bonuses in his contract, so, his cap number will go up since the bonuses count against his cap. I think $3m is more likely the number, and I'd have no problem with it if he could earn the bonuses.

As for the way the roster sets up, I'm believing that Lambos makes a huge step this year and is ready for one of those D spots in '25. That would mean that we could have 4 really good rookies starting that year. This may make Shooter a bit nervous, but it will be their time. I also think that one of the extensions signed last year gets traded out in the summer of '25 to make room for one of these kids.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2024 at 11:03 PM, mnfaninnc said:

while we all assume an ELC for Yurov is $925k, that's probably not accurate. The reason he's not here this year is that he wanted some bonuses in his contract, so, his cap number will go up since the bonuses count against his cap. I think $3m is more likely the number, and I'd have no problem with it if he could earn the bonuses.

While I doubt the performance bonuses will be quite that high, even if they are, that leaves over $9M for a 7th defenseman and a forward who pushes Gaudreau, or someone else, to the press box. $8M for a free agent forward should definitely be enough to bring in a talented scorer to push for contention.

• Like 3

Verified Member

From Oprah to Lil Jon... Huge Thank You to all the Wilderness writers for keeping us thoroughly entertained all summer. THANK YOU!!! 

In case Rossi has a great year and Khus outperforms another $1M contract, let's say it cost us $11M to sign Rossi, Yurov, Khus, Buium, and Wall... add another $1M for Heidt and $1M for a 7th D-Man to keep numbers easy. With $6.5M left to sign a forward. If we can trade Fred and Zuccy by the deadline this year our 2025 - 2026 Roster could... 

Kap - Ek - Boldy 

$11.5M - Rossi - Yurov 

Ohgren - Khus - Heidt 

Foligno - Trenin - Hartman 

Brodin -  Faber 

Buium - Spurgeon 

Midds - Bogosian 

Wall and Gus 

Not sure if you pair Buium with Spurgeon unless he keeps adding size but not the point. Can we sign Boeser to a three year contract with $11.5M in cap space to also coincide with Yurov's ELC.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WildRam said:

Ohgren - Khus - Heidt

This is the kind of youth movement I’d like to see. For that to happen the Wild would need to shift gears on how they handle younger players. Getting value on contracts is definitely a must to ice a highly competitive team. AKA ELCs. I do think if the Wild could add 1 more dynamic scorer it’d help the whole lineup. Unfortunately at this point the cash available could be significantly lower than the 11.5 $ that would be needed.