Hockey Wilderness

Article: 2024-25 Minnesota Wild Roster Projection

"Minnesota’s young talent is being blocked out by guys who don’t deserve to be ahead of them on the depth chart. "

I wonder if people writing these articles will ever get tired of this.  None of the players worth giving roster spots to were available last year (and this year either, in Yurov's case).  I'm not pining for the return of Adam Beckman and Sammy Walker, if it's all the same to everyone else.  For all the shit Johansson gets, he can at least score goals once in a blue moon.

Just because Guerin decided the team should make 1-2 rookies per year a priority instead of just letting 4-5 on all at once, that doesn't mean anyone is blocking them.

Rossi/Faber jumped the line in last year; Addison, Walker, Beckman...not so much

Ohgren and Khusnutdinov (and Heidt) get their chance

Next year "should" be Yurov and Wallstedt.

Could we give the whole "blocking players" line a rest please?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

The 3rd line is most interesting to me.  Both Rat 1.0 (Hartman) and Rat 2.0 (Marat) have the ability to make hockey plays and if Foligno can clear space in the O-zone for them to operate good things could happen.  

I still believe 97 and Zuc get reunited at some point in the season as this lineup needs production from Zuc and 97 unlocks his value.

As usual, Nojo is the square peg.  I think he's even more useless playing a 4th line role so I believe he and Ogzy will split time on the 2nd line.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Those look mostly reasonable to me, but I might anticipate Gaudreau playing over Johansson. I'd be perfectly content scratching Johansson. A healthy Gaudreau is likely motivated to prove last season was more fluke than the prior 2 seasons where he posted at least 38 points in each. Playing almost exclusively line 2 with some of the better playmakers on the team last season, Johansson posted 30 points.

Johansson turns 34 in early October and should have much more money in the bank(nearly $40M in career earnings). He might be motivated to earn another contract, but last season was very underwhelming and I'm not sure he adds much to a PP or PK.

Given the contract situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see Trenin on line 3 and Khusnutdinov on line 4, but I can understand that choice as well.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Those look mostly reasonable to me, but I might anticipate Gaudreau playing over Johansson. I'd be perfectly content scratching Johansson. A healthy Gaudreau is likely motivated to prove last season was more fluke than the prior 2 seasons where he posted at least 38 points in each. Playing almost exclusively line 2 with some of the better playmakers on the team last season, Johansson posted 30 points.

Johansson turns 34 in early October and should have much more money in the bank(nearly $40M in career earnings). He might be motivated to earn another contract, but last season was very underwhelming and I'm not sure he adds much to a PP or PK.

Given the contract situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see Trenin on line 3 and Khusnutdinov on line 4, but I can understand that choice as well.

I agree that Freddy would be better than NoJo on the 4th. Fred was injured much of last year accounting for a down year. Now, I do not believe he is a star player but is better than we saw last year. NoJo earned the job of sitting and watching. Even at his best he would not bring anything to the 4th line or any other line.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

For all the shit Johansson gets, he can at least score goals once in a blue moon.

Nojo isn't just playing bad, his lackluster play is actually causing us to lose momentum between shifts.  He doesn't engage and he gives up zones until we are back in the D-zone.  I do agree with you that guys that are stepping up and earning playing time are getting it.  Nobody is being held up.  Which is a bit sad that we don't have a prospect that can kick Nojo out of the lineup.  Sure would like to see Height get in over Nojo.  That glaring weak spot (NoJo) is costing us games.

• Like 4

Here are the results of the "Will Heidt play 10+ games this season?

YES: 4 (Illicit, Viper, Gooses, Bisopher)

NO: 10 (Pewter, Huck, MNFAN, MrCheatu, UpNorth, Burnt, LoveHockey, Space Cowboy, raithis, Protec)

I was beginning to think everyone believed Heidt was a shoe-in this year, but now I know that's not the case.

(Results audited by Toilette & Douche public accounting firm)

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

NO: 10 (Pewter, Huck, MNFAN, MrCheatu, UpNorth, Burnt, LoveHockey, Space Cowboy, raithis, Protec)

I was beginning to think everyone believed Heidt was a shoe-in this year, but now I know that's not the case.

If the question was:

Do you want Heidt to take NoJo's spot regardless of whether he is NHL ready?

I would vote yes, if not just to remove NoJo from the team.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I should mention that The Athletic writers also mentioned the possibility of Heidt joining the Wild for the first 9 games today.  It would be a mild surprise if he's clearly too good to send back to the WHL at that point, but it's possible.

• Like 3

Verified Member
1 hour ago, Will D. Ness said:

If the question was:

Do you want Heidt to take NoJo's spot regardless of whether he is NHL ready?

I would vote yes, if not just to remove NoJo from the team.

Want Heidt instead of NoJo? 

Yes. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

I should mention that The Athletic writers also mentioned the possibility of Heidt joining the Wild for the first 9 games today.  It would be a mild surprise if he's clearly too good to send back to the WHL at that point, but it's possible.

To put a realistic spin on my "I hope Heidt gets 10+ NHL games" stance, I think 9 games + a loan to the SEL / Liiga is the better option for Heidt.  He won't prove anything by scoring 100+ in the WHL; he needs more experience against older, better players.

• Like 7

Verified Member

I'm guessing Foligno and Ohgren get flipped but the rest looks good. Hopefully they don't put Johansson on 3rd and Marat on 4th.  Having Mouth Breather Jon Merrill on the bench is worth 5 or 6 points!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This was a pretty easy article to write and I think most of us agree on 21 of the players. I doubt Boyd makes it out of camp as the Wild typically go with 22. I think Hunt also has a decent shot at getting a roster spot.

Note to Writers: It looks like some new writers have come into the fold. It would be nice if you guys introduced yourselves and maybe write a few words about what you'll be focusing on (the Wild is a bit general). Also, we like it when you join us in the comment section. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Protec said:

Well at least we don't have to debate whether the Wild should go after Rutger McGroarty any longer. 😁

Getting Buium closed the door on that one.  I think the Wild are patient with what their supposed "window" is supposed to be.  The Penguins and Caps are still holding onto Crosby and Ovechkin like they are still teams that matter.  I mean, that's what teams with Hall of Famers and Cups do I suppose, but think of what it cost them since.

Verified Member

Yeah, I think it's easy for fans to say, "this guy would be great for the Wild."

The long-term plan is coming together though. Core, yes. Prospects, yes. Goaltending, yeah the Wild just need the coaches and good fortune of staying healthy to be a perennial playoff team. 

I think Guerin should be watching this year for a player they can offer-sheet with some of the money next Summer. A acquisition similar to Holloway would be pretty cool. 

I also like that Guerin is still shuffling and testing young players. Beckman out, Sop in. Deweys gone, Lauko/Ghramer in. You don't find the next Verhaeghe by sticking to players too long. GMBG needs ti keep the prospects they've thoroughly evaluated moving. 

• Like 2

Verified Member
On 8/22/2024 at 10:36 AM, Citizen Strife said:

"Minnesota’s young talent is being blocked out by guys who don’t deserve to be ahead of them on the depth chart. "

I wonder if people writing these articles will ever get tired of this.  None of the players worth giving roster spots to were available last year (and this year either, in Yurov's case).  I'm not pining for the return of Adam Beckman and Sammy Walker, if it's all the same to everyone else.  For all the shit Johansson gets, he can at least score goals once in a blue moon.

Just because Guerin decided the team should make 1-2 rookies per year a priority instead of just letting 4-5 on all at once, that doesn't mean anyone is blocking them.

Rossi/Faber jumped the line in last year; Addison, Walker, Beckman...not so much

Ohgren and Khusnutdinov (and Heidt) get their chance

Next year "should" be Yurov and Wallstedt.

Could we give the whole "blocking players" line a rest please?

Right.. No one is being blocked. Height needs another year in the W and possibly some AHL time before he makes the jump. Odgren and Marat are the only young forwards who are ready and they have to beat out johansson and Freddy and hopefully they do. No young d-men are ready this year to break the top 6.  Next year we could have odgren, marat, rossi, height, yurov, boldy, elk, kirill, and a battle of the remaining vets for the last spot in the top.9. The rest get pushed to 4th line duties. Could also have 2 rookie defenseman in the top 6 and a rookie tender.. but they all have to earn a spot. No one is being blocked. 

• Like 4

Prediction / food for thought:

What does the 2025-26 Calder race look like if Heidt (presuming he doesn't stick for 10+ games), Yurov, Buium, and Wallstedt are all on the Wild and playing to their potential?

Verified Member
12 hours ago, bisopher said:

What does the 2025-26 Calder race look like if Heidt (presuming he doesn't stick for 10+ games), Yurov, Buium, and Wallstedt are all on the Wild and playing to their potential?

Hopefully 1-4 in the race! Doesn't matter the order

12 hours ago, bisopher said:

The problem will be that unless one of them is a very clear favorite they will bleed votes from each other.

15 hours ago, bisopher said:

Who would be the most valuable to win it? 

IMO it has to be The Wall.  If he wins the Calder then we are in business.

On 8/24/2024 at 10:14 AM, Up North Guy said:

The problem will be that unless one of them is a very clear favorite they will bleed votes from each other.

I'll file this under "good problems to have".

• Like 1

Verified Member

It’s exciting to see the youngsters mix in with the vets.  Probably have a couple changes by the trade deadline but this team is looking strong!!  Late season addition after graduation is Biuim.