Hockey Wilderness

Article: Is College Hockey the Best Place For Zeev Buium's Development?

The main thing like stated in the article is if he can steady the blue line for Denver with the large turnover after winning the championship.  If he can do that I would mark that as a success.

Secondary, if he can come close or exceed last years points total and get Denver back to the frozen four playoffs would be huge.

• Like 3

The Wild and all of us know all about this kids offensive ability.  What I would look for this year is how he can improve killing zone entries, gobbling up pucks in the corners and get the puck moving up ice with precision. And just generally be a dominant defensive force when he is on the ice.  If he can show gains there, it will be time for the NHL in April.  Hopefully he can bypass that dumpster fire in IA like Faber did as mentioned by Willy.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Outskated said:

The Wild and all of us know all about this kids offensive ability.  What I would look for this year is how he can improve killing zone entries, gobbling up pucks in the corners and get the puck moving up ice with precision. And just generally be a dominant defensive force when he is on the ice.  If he can show gains there, it will be time for the NHL in April.  Hopefully he can bypass that dumpster fire in IA like Faber did as mentioned by Willy.  

Well, his draft summary stated he was +33 over 42 games at 5v5 last year, and he and the rest of the Pioneers held a very good BC team scoreless in the championship game.  Seems like he's got pretty good defensive skills already. 

• Like 2

I could have probably just left this comment sheet blank with my logo on the left because you all know what I will say: It's about physical growth. Put on that muscle so you have an NHL defenseman's body. 

I saw his brother, he's ripped. Zeev is not yet. But, little brothers have a tendency to want to out do their big brothers.

• Haha 3

I did want to comment on the NCAA development. I think the player chooses the right type of school, this can be really good. For us, it delays the ELC, and Zeev doesn't need to go to the crowded field of Iowa that is getting not much coaching help right now.

He is in an organization that has a winning pedigree, and is developing his mind and body as well as getting used to winning. All of that is beneficial for a kid. If it were me, as a GM, I'd rather have my guys developing in Denver's league or the B1G just to keep a better eye on them. Hockey East is a long way away to scout often. 

Now, last season Peart seemed to take a step backward in his final season at St. Cloud St. I think he was injured for a lot of the season and played through it. Or, perhaps, they just had a bad team? But what I did notice was that Peart did not take to heart the need to bulk up for the N. What did he think his endpoint was? He's a good puck moving defender, got a lot of icetime, but is still small (not just short). He may have a Lambos style wakeup call this season.

10 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I could have probably just left this comment sheet blank with my logo on the left because you all know what I will say: It's about physical growth. Put on that muscle so you have an NHL defenseman's body. 

I saw his brother, he's ripped. Zeev is not yet. But, little brothers have a tendency to want to out do their big brothers.

I would suggest coming up with a trade marked meme that you can simply upload.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Will D. Ness said:

I would suggest coming up with a trade marked meme that you can simply upload.

I suggested a mnfan signature to save himself the time. He didn’t like that so now I’ll suggest this on every post:

image.gif.d787b3d4d7760ac62ce93debbf9f49ab.gif

• Haha 3

On 8/20/2024 at 5:47 PM, Outskated said:

I see what you’re saying but I think he’s actually far better defensively than ppl think. He improved drastically over the last half of the season. I’ve watched a lot of YouTube channels breaking it down so I think he’ll be just fine but I am a little worried about some very very good defenders leaving the team. We will see how he adjusts to that.

On 8/20/2024 at 5:47 PM, Outskated said:

Here is a quote from Joe Smith at The Athletic about Zeev

What really elevated him last year was his defensive play, his ability to lock guys up. He was unbelievable against BU (Boston University) and BC (Boston College) in the Frozen Four. He was outstanding. He locked up Macklin Celebrini (and) locked up the top line for BC. He just glued himself to those guys defensively with his footwork and made it so hard on them. He’s a little of Brock Faber in that way where Brock has always relied on his footwork.”

• Like 2