Hockey Wilderness

Article: Patrik Laine Not Coming to Minnesota

1 hour ago, B1GKappa97 said:

I know 😞 I can dream though!! Wallstedt seems like a high-floor, lower-ceiling safe goalie while Askarov is lower-floor but has a much higher ceiling thanks to his speed in the crease. 

They'd make the perfect tandem!

I'd rather ride or die with Wall + Vaj and use our dry powder on improving our top 9 forward core, than go all-in on two first round goalies and a bunch of noodles in our bottom six.

• Like 2

Verified Member

You could also make an argument, Guerin already made the safe play to get Faber under contract for the number the Wild liked before any risk of an offer-sheet.

Next Summer if the Wild were coming off a playoffs where Faber and Rossi both played well, they too could have been at risk of being challenged with a similar situation as the Oilers faced. The Wild will be positioned well to shuffle things this year. The prospects and fair value contracts for vets give the Wild plenty of flexibility. Only if Walldtedt or other young guys had amazing production would MN's risk of losing a player increase. The Wild could be targeted but the GM can manage the timing or trade a player they might not sign before another team get's the best of GMBG. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 4:06 PM, Citizen Strife said:

But let's not kid ourselves and think he's the heir apparent 1C option or something.  Funny thing is, this site has done that quite often, only to keep being shown that Ek is just plain better.

Dude Rossi just played his first full season at 23. 

Take a look at Ek's numbers for his 23yr season 8G, 21A 29pts. He didn't break 30 goals until this year, his age 27 season. He didn't get over 20 goals until age 25, Rossi did that in his first season. Have a little perspective. 

As of currently, Rossi's trajectory looks like he sure could become a 1C. It isn't assured but the kid is also 23 with an entire season lost to health issues and has only just played his first full season in the NHL with some subpart linemates. Talking like you know what his ceiling or his career trajectory is pretty ridiculous. 

At this snapshot in time where Rossi has played one season and EEK has played SEVEN, I would really hope that EEK is better. As for speaking to the future, it looks like Rossi could be the better goal scorer. Will he ever be an EEK clone, no. Could he develop into something better, absolutely.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 5:06 PM, Citizen Strife said:

What he's not is better than Ek at...anything.

I think he actually has the potential and could be to a better passer than EK. I don’t think JEE is really know as a great passer but does everything else better than Rossi 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 12:16 PM, B1GKappa97 said:

What will it take to get Askarov? Ship out Gus and then just let The Wall and Askarov duke it out between them for starting goalie!

I'm biased though, I really wanted Askarov in that draft.

I don’t see it being smart to ship out our only seasoned fairly reliable goalie for a rookie in askarov. Flower is toast and having two rookie goalies to lean on with suspect defense is a recipe for disaster. You need to develop your goalies properly not throw them into the fire and hope they don’t get burned. If you’re going for a rebuild in order to get high draft picks in the upcoming drafts, I get it but it still doesn’t seem smart either way.

id love askerov but it doesn’t make sense to get him really.

• Like 1

I didn't say Rossi won't be better than Ek someday.  I'm saying right now, he isn't.  The best he can do is probably play up there in a change of pace/lines or Ek gets injured (like what happened late last season).  Paying Rossi more than Ek is an indication of his future worth, but should also be balanced out by the reality of the now.

The Rossi of now is a 40-pt guy.  Ek was paid super cheap and then broke out.  I'm ok with either scenario.  I just think if Rossi doesn't make improvements next year, Guerin's within his right to say, "Yeah, no Beniers thing for you.  Take it or leave it."

• Like 1