Hockey Wilderness

Article: Riley Heidt Can Make Marcus Johansson Expendable

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

He'd be looking at where he was going to rent for the season. He'd be making plans to be here, not there. 

I'm not arguing with you, but I'm fairly confident that NHL teams have people in the building that would help new players find accommodations, at least short term.

I've already indicated that his chances of making the team are likely below 40%, but he is someone that stood out at development camp more than most and skating was highlighted as one of his strengths.

From one of his draft profiles - Another reason why Heidt has developed into a can’t-miss prospect is his skating ability. He has great speed, which allows him to get in on the forecheck to cut off clearing attempts by defenders, and he’s strong enough on his skates to win board battles against bigger defencemen. As for when the puck is on his stick, which is most of the time, he is able to maintain his speed as he transitions the puck into the offensive zone, always keeping his head up and scanning the ice for available teammates. A shifty player that is hard to catch, he often forces defenders out of position thanks to his strong edge work, which often leads to a scoring chance either for him or one of his teammates.

Notable Strengths:

• Playmaking
  • Puck control while at top speed
  • Strong on the forecheck
  • Good positioning in the defensive zone

His weight/strength was listed first as something he needed to work on. I'm sure that he's been working on that, along with improving his overall game, but I don't know how much mass he's been able to build up since he was drafted. 

3 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

I've been telling everyone that his market value had tanked and we could pick him up cheap. That Montreal didn't need retained salary probably helped their situation.

Yeah, I certainly didn't think it would be quite that low. It's a large contract, but it's not a huge term. I would have thought someone would have a player/contract they'd like to swap for him without requiring much/any salary retention.

The Wild couldn't trade for him without salary retention unless they were trading 4+ players due to their cap situation and no movement clauses.

Laine is still young and could potentially put up over 130 points in the 2 years of his current contract, particularly if they put him on the line with Nick Suzuki. Understanding that the Wild were unlikely to get involved, I didn't spend much time considering places for him to go, but I'm not surprised Montreal was interested--just surprised at the low cost to them in adding him.

4 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

If he hasn't been in the A, but is on his jr. team, why can't you call him up? While I would think him leapfrogging over A players is a bit odd, I still think you can do it. Even the Wild recalled Ek when he was in Sweden to come back for the playoffs and they burned an ELC year on him.

I think you are right in that they could pull him from juniors. I just don't think they would.

Verified Member

I think Heidt has been working on the things Wild development asked him to all through last year. I think he showed an ability to improve and I presume that proved something. He had a nice season. 

The odds are slim for him to jump to the NHL ahead of all the other guys. Some who have NHL experience or even a Cup ring.(NoJo) 

I think Heidt is a good player but do the Wild need him? Not exactly, they've got depth amongst prospects a little older than him. 

I'd bet against him sticking in the NHL cause MN is not a bottom-dwelling rebuild. He's good enough to play without pressure for SJ or CHI but for MN amongst vets trying to make the playoffs, or get another contract, I think it's a serious jump. Not impossible but I'd not really like to bet on anything til after a few pre-season games or the first 3-4 games of the regular season.

Seth Jarvis, Josh Doan, and some other guys have done well taking a big step. It really depends on the attitude and poise he has against NHL competition. Rossi needed more time. Fair to guess Heidt could end up spending one more year in the WHL. 

"Guerin can make Johansson expendable either via trade or buyout. "

the ship on buying Johansson out this season has sailed.

Per puckkpeida, 

Buyout Period

Buyouts can start on the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Playoffs end, and the buyout period ends June 30 at 5pm Eastern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

He has great speed, which allows him to get in on the forecheck to cut off clearing attempts by defenders, and he’s strong enough on his skates to win board battles against bigger defencemen.

Keep in mind that this description is against jr. players who are larger defensemen, not the monsters in the N. This would mean about 65% of N defensemen. I don't think "strong enough" here cuts it.