Hockey Wilderness

Article: Riley Heidt Can Make Marcus Johansson Expendable

Heidt is nipping at Yurov's heals as the next can't miss top 6 prospect and broseph couldn't make the Winter Team Canada team (made the summer JV team).  Calen Addison made team Canada team if I'm not mistaken?

But Pewter why can't you think happy thoughts?  Because empirical evidence will always outweigh what I want to happen.

I hope we'll see this kid some day, but not this year.  (Team Hope will blame Guerin's contracts blunders as the reason he's not on the team this year)

Calling my shot: I'll eat Nojo's breezers if Heidt makes the roster out of camp this year.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

But Pewter why can't you think happy thoughts?

'Happiness depends upon ourselves' - Aristotle

'Some people are like slinkies.  They don't really have a purpose, but put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs' - Jack Handy

'Hang in there' - Cat Poster

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, MrCheatachu said:

'Happiness depends upon ourselves' - Aristotle

'Some people are like slinkies.  They don't really have a purpose, but put a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs' - Jack Handy

'Hang in there' - Cat Poster

Let’s Call our shots on heidt playing 9+ games this year (I believe that’s the threshold to burn year of eligibility).  Will give us something to do in August

I’ll tally and post the votes   Yes or no    I’m voting no   

what say you wilderness?

18 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Let’s Call our shots on heidt playing 9+ games this year (I believe that’s the threshold to burn year of eligibility).  Will give us something to do in August

what say you wilderness?

I will start of the yes side of the column and represent the blind faith, mainly because if he can hold onto his stick that is an upgrade already over NOJO. With no Yurov he may quickly become the top call up if an injury arises.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

I'll eat Nojo's breezers if Heidt makes the roster out of camp this year.

Get your choice of condiment ready. Also with how you phrased it, he just has to make it out of camp, not stick with the team all year, so if he plays 9 games then goes back to the WHL, bon appetit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, viper3119 said:

Get your choice of condiment ready. Also with how you phrased it, he just has to make it out of camp, not stick with the team all year, so if he plays 9 games then goes back to the WHL, bon appetit. 

To be clear I said 9+ games (internet says 10 games burns the first year of ELC)

If Heidt plays in 10 games, I lose the bet.

Are you a "Yes" Viper?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Calling my shot: I'll eat Nojo's breezers if Heidt makes the roster out of camp this year.

Yikes. I wouldn't say that for something that has even a 10% chance and Heidt's chances might be closer to 40%. 1 injury could put him on the opening roster for a couple of weeks, if not longer.

Heidt has been working on rounding out his game and getting stronger since he slipped to the late 2nd round. While I'd put the odds of him not being on the opening day roster at greater than 50%, I wouldn't bet against it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Yikes. I wouldn't say that for something that has even a 10% chance and Heidt's chances might be closer to 40%. 1 injury could put him on the opening roster for a couple of weeks, if not longer.

Heidt has been working on rounding out his game and getting stronger since he slipped to the late 2nd round. While I'd put the odds of him not being on the opening day roster at greater than 50%, I wouldn't bet against it.

10+ games during the season is the bet.

Should I put you down as a "Yes" IYHuck?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

10+ games during the season is the bet.

Should I put you down as a "Yes" IYHuck?

Playing 10 or more games is definitely different than making the team out of camp. If he's added strength to get up to 188+ pounds(last posted as 5'11" and 183 pounds), I might be more confident in him holding up at the NHL level.

If I had to place a wager, I would place a small amount on under 10 NHL games, I just wouldn't want to be on either side of that bet if it was for something substantial like eating NoJo's breezers. 🙂

The chances of Heidt being on the opening night roster might be around 33%, but the likelihood of him hitting 10+ games might be more like 5%.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Playing 10 or more games is definitely different than making the team out of camp. If he's added strength to get up to 188+ pounds(last posted as 5'11" and 183 pounds), I might be more confident in him holding up at the NHL level.

If I had to place a wager, I would place a small amount on under 10 NHL games, I just wouldn't want to be on either side of that bet if it was for something substantial like eating NoJo's breezers. 🙂

The chances of Heidt being on the opening night roster might be around 33%, but the likelihood of him hitting 10+ games might be more like 5%.

Holy hedge Huck.  

After all that I'm putting you down as a "No"

It doesn't make you a disloyal fan.  It just makes you a fan with an opinion.

Come on Wilderness.  What side of the bet are you on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Holy hedge Huck.  

After all that I'm putting you down as a "No"

It doesn't make you a disloyal fan.  It just makes you a fan with an opinion.

If you knew that 100% of the Wild forwards would be healthy as the regular season starts, I would put the chances much lower.

If Rossi and Zuccarello started the year on the injured list, for instance, do you think Heidt would be starting the year with the Wild?

Verified Member
36 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

I can definitely see Riley playing the limit (9 games) to start the season and then go back to the W. 

You have to remember that guerin is a very big "trust the process" type of person and he has made it clear that everyone has to do their time in a professional league. Riley can't play in the AHL this year, so I don't see him sticking.

And don't forget that we have a decent number of players with NHL experience in Iowa. An injury won't mandate a call up for Heidt. Players like Boyd, Shore, Walker, and Clarke would probably be called up first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

what say you wilderness?

I would be surprised if anyone would say yes if there was money on it.

27 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

If you knew that 100% of the Wild forwards would be healthy as the regular season starts, I would put the chances much lower.

If Rossi and Zuccarello started the year on the injured list, for instance, do you think Heidt would be starting the year with the Wild?

My take is that if he's ready he plays 10+ games.  I don't believe he'll be used as an injury fill-in for over 9 games if he's not ready.  Let Nojo/Fraud/Lauko eat those minutes rather than burn a year on a player who's not quite ready yet.

Heidt will make it. He worked hard at becoming a well rounded player this season and it showed. He plays with an edge and has no quit on his motor. He made the summer showcase and was second in points (8)and tied for first in goals(4) in 5 games. He has a chip on his shoulder and Dave Cameron can eat a dick for shorting him in favor of some OHL and QMJHL plebs. 

I am a resounding yes that he will earn a spot and a maybe on whether Guerin will make the right decision and keep him up. Not because he won't earn it but because Guerin loves to defer to veterans.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

My take is that if he's ready he plays 10+ games.  I don't believe he'll be used as an injury fill-in for over 9 games if he's not ready.  Let Nojo/Fraud/Lauko eat those minutes rather than burn a year on a player who's not quite ready yet.

Yeah, his offensive history is much more sparkling that many other options, which is why I'm not putting the chances at zero.  If he's approaching the 10 game mark and other guys are close to returning, they might simply elevate Graeme Clarke.

If he were to collect a handful of points in the first 8 games, however, he could maybe retain a spot. Without knowing the health of the roster, it's really difficult to put a number on it. He doesn't seem to be far away from seeing NHL action.

• Like 1

1st off I have to call stupid stupid:

Guerin can make Johansson expendable either via trade or buyout. He no longer serves the team's identity. 

You do not buyout Johansson, that is just plain stupid. Just eat it, bury him in the A, put him on waivers, what you need is his roster spot, not his money. You can bury more than an ELC in the A. 

Secondly, we have Pewter going off the deep end: 

2 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

To be technical, none of this sounds like 10+ games, but I'd also want to know how you're going to get Nojo's breezers out of his locker???

But, on Heidt, from what I read in his draft profile, he's got a mischievous side to him where he likes to rub a little sandpaper into opponents. I like that in a player. However, that player must be able to defend himself and not look to Foligno to bail him out. 

An out of market guy doesn't get this type of information, but I'll ask. Has Heidt been around the Twin Cities this summer? Has he been working out with his future teammates? Has he been taking skating lessons from Andy Ness? Is he looking for a place to stay?

The answers to these questions, I think, would show an awful lot of intentions. If Heidt can come in with an NHL body, and has been working on his skating and completely outperforms Johansson in camp (not necessarily preseason games), then I could see him making the opening night roster. If, however, and I suspect these are the answers, he is not doing this, I would say he does not make the opening night roster.

Now, as far as the changed bet goes to 10+ games, I'd have no problem with him being called up later in the season to add some scoring punch. I do think they'll peak him at 9 games unless he's lights out.

My answer to the challenge is contingent. Yes if the above is going on, No if it isn't. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Sadly I'm in this camp that he'll get <9 games with the big club this year (if any).

And this comes as a guy who's not watched any of his film, or read his scouting reports.  Frankly, I barely skimmed this article.

However, since he's eligible for the ELC slide, he'd have to be an absolute S.T.U.D. to get this team to burn a year.  That's just how they seem to develop their prospects.

SillyG has shown time and time again that he values veterans who've been around the block (Maroon/Reaves/Flower) to throwing the reigns to an unproven youngester, I'd imagine he's far more comfortable with 17-season veteran MoJo than some young whippersnapper. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, TheGoosesAreLooses said:

Heidt will make it. He worked hard at becoming a well rounded player this season and it showed. He plays with an edge and has no quit on his motor. He made the summer showcase and was second in points (8)and tied for first in goals(4) in 5 games. He has a chip on his shoulder and Dave Cameron can eat a dick for shorting him in favor of some OHL and QMJHL plebs. 

I am a resounding yes that he will earn a spot and a maybe on whether Guerin will make the right decision and keep him up. Not because he won't earn it but because Guerin loves to defer to veterans.

Goose, are you betting "Yes" Heidt will play 10+ games with Wild this season?

#Nojoeatsdicks

43 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Yeah, his offensive history is much more sparkling that many other options, which is why I'm not putting the chances at zero.  If he's approaching the 10 game mark and other guys are close to returning, they might simply elevate Graeme Clarke.

If he were to collect a handful of points in the first 8 games, however, he could maybe retain a spot. Without knowing the health of the roster, it's really difficult to put a number on it. He doesn't seem to be far away from seeing NHL action.

Huck is still a "No" Heidt won't play over 9 games this season

37 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

1st off I have to call stupid stupid:

You do not buyout Johansson, that is just plain stupid. Just eat it, bury him in the A, put him on waivers, what you need is his roster spot, not his money. You can bury more than an ELC in the A. 

Secondly, we have Pewter going off the deep end: 

To be technical, none of this sounds like 10+ games, but I'd also want to know how you're going to get Nojo's breezers out of his locker???

But, on Heidt, from what I read in his draft profile, he's got a mischievous side to him where he likes to rub a little sandpaper into opponents. I like that in a player. However, that player must be able to defend himself and not look to Foligno to bail him out. 

An out of market guy doesn't get this type of information, but I'll ask. Has Heidt been around the Twin Cities this summer? Has he been working out with his future teammates? Has he been taking skating lessons from Andy Ness? Is he looking for a place to stay?

The answers to these questions, I think, would show an awful lot of intentions. If Heidt can come in with an NHL body, and has been working on his skating and completely outperforms Johansson in camp (not necessarily preseason games), then I could see him making the opening night roster. If, however, and I suspect these are the answers, he is not doing this, I would say he does not make the opening night roster.

Now, as far as the changed bet goes to 10+ games, I'd have no problem with him being called up later in the season to add some scoring punch. I do think they'll peak him at 9 games unless he's lights out.

My answer to the challenge is contingent. Yes if the above is going on, No if it isn't. 

No bets with qualifiers.  MNFAN is currently recorded as a "No"

First off it is my understanding that the three choices are go back to Juniors, stay on the Wild the full year or sign with a Euro team. He cannot go to the A so he cannot be a call-up. I would vote no on the possibility of him staying on the Wild all season. I think sending him back to juniors is a waste also. I would try to hook him up with a Euro men's league.

• Like 3