Hockey Wilderness

Article: Why Is Matt Boldy Being Projected As A Top-5 Player?

6 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

nhl network just ranked top 10 WINGS in league

97 ranked #7 just after Jason Robertson

1 Kucherov

2 Tkachuk

3 Rantanen

4 Pasta

5 Panarin

6 Robertson

7 Kap

8 Nylander

9 Reinhart

10 Marner

no centers included:
mcdavid, Matthews, mckin, draisatl, Crosby, barkov, aho, pettersson. 
Kap is arguably top 20 imo, but not top 10

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

1 Kucherov

2 Tkachuk

3 Rantanen

4 Pasta

5 Panarin

6 Robertson

7 Kap

8 Nylander

9 Reinhart

10 Marner

no centers included:
mcdavid, Matthews, mckin, draisatl, Crosby, barkov, aho, pettersson. 
Kap is arguably top 20 imo, but not top 10

I wouldn't give bean counters at NHL Network or talking heads on TV too much weight.  These idiots gave Bedard the Calder at a -80 or whatever.  It's a fashion show in the media.

Now a players ranking by players would be something.

Verified Member
On 8/17/2024 at 11:53 AM, mnfaninnc said:

I have to disagree with you on this. Short is not small, short and thin is small. Beckman was 6'2" but was small because he barely crossed 190lbs. You could see it in his board battles in the N, he never went into the boards, he went close and tried to pick pucks out. He simply wasn't strong enough. You see it in O'Rourke, too, who is just too small for the type of game he wants to play, even at 6'2". He's only in the 190s, and he needs to be around 210 for his game.

For that matter, Brodin also falls into this category, but due to his elite skating and stick work he is able to play at that weight.

While Kaprizov is under 6', he is thick, not small. If Rossi can come in between 195-200, he will also be thick not small. Those guys have tremendous leverage on the larger players and can bump them off balance. It's also hard to clear a guy out when your crosscheck hits them in the top of the back. Those tend to get seen and penalized. 

My conclusion is that every one of our prospects needs to get on my bulk up plan. I don't know how to do it, but I know where the results should be! Lesson is this: Not bulking up means you want a career in the A. At 10% of the salary, I'm betting that's not really where they want to be. Last time I remember hearing players, I've never heard anyone say their dream is to play in the A! Well, then, do what you need to do to get to the N!

I don't disagree with you.  I'm saying that having too many of those small stature players on the same line starts to be an issue.  Players have less wingspan, so less reach and less chances to disrupt a pass, more open ice, less body to screen a goalie, etc.

I'm not saying that shorter players can't play in the league.  I'm saying that putting too many of one line can create certain problems that the other team can use to make that line less effective and more of a liability.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sam said:

Hey ODC, let’s say you have an 8 oz cup filled with 4 oz of water. Would you say that it is half empty or half full?

That might be a better question if the cup was filled with 4 oz of beer. ODC might say it's empty and finishes it off! Heck, he might even say the 8 oz full glass is empty and finishes it off! 

I'm a pessimist by nature so chalk me up to the half empty crowd.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, raithis said:

I'm not saying that shorter players can't play in the league. 

I see your point and would like to also clarify: We should have only 3 "smaller" players on the team. Now, which 3 should they be?