Hockey Wilderness

Article: Rasmus Kumpulainen Can Take The Next Step In Finland

I can agree with Kalisha that the point in drafting Stramel and Kumpulainen was to bring in that big line that is similar in construction to the GREEF line. I think Guerin wants one of those lines on the team that can wear down an opponent's top line and bottle them up. However, do we know much about that line scoring? No.

I would hope that Kumpulainen does not play top 6 minutes in Finland, but plays that 3rd line center role where he gets top minutes. He already is really good in the dot, so he'll likely be out for D-zone faceoffs. The line construction is a 3rd line role. Sure, they may get more minutes than a typical 3rd line, but that is what Guerin is looking to create. 

So, what's the beautiful thing about Kumpulainen heading to Finland for 2 years? The clock on his ELC does not start ticking until that's over. That pushes everything back a little. Same thing with Stramel, playing in the NCAA pushes the ELC back a bit. Yurov has the same thing, but next season I'll bet he gets his bonus clauses. (that was a fair ask by him too)

I don't know if these guys can recreate GREEF, but I think they can have an identity of a big strong shutdown line that gives another team fits.

• Confused 1

On 8/6/2024 at 4:51 PM, mnfaninnc said:

I can agree with Kalisha that the point in drafting Stramel and Kumpulainen was to bring in that big line that is similar in construction to the GREEF line. I think Guerin wants one of those lines on the team that can wear down an opponent's top line and bottle them up. However, do we know much about that line scoring? No.

I would hope that Kumpulainen does not play top 6 minutes in Finland, but plays that 3rd line center role where he gets top minutes. He already is really good in the dot, so he'll likely be out for D-zone faceoffs. The line construction is a 3rd line role. Sure, they may get more minutes than a typical 3rd line, but that is what Guerin is looking to create. 

So, what's the beautiful thing about Kumpulainen heading to Finland for 2 years? The clock on his ELC does not start ticking until that's over. That pushes everything back a little. Same thing with Stramel, playing in the NCAA pushes the ELC back a bit. Yurov has the same thing, but next season I'll bet he gets his bonus clauses. (that was a fair ask by him too)

I don't know if these guys can recreate GREEF, but I think they can have an identity of a big strong shutdown line that gives another team fits.

I think you got it, drafted some smaller skill guys but also needed that size, that's exactly where Kump and Stramel come in. Ohgren isn't that small either at 6'1" 187 (yes can add weight) but that could be a good grinding line with some skill to add. Now just need 1 or 3 big blue line guys, or guys that like contact and play above weight class (See Dumba and how he would be a heat seeking missile at times). Pushing some of the young contracts off/waiting until they are ready to make the jump could be a great thing. Zeev, Yurov, Kump, Stramel, Wall all on rookie deals as older contracts fall off or get shipped out could open up the flexibility we have all been wanting.

• Like 1