Hockey Wilderness

Article: Charlie Stramel Won't Be A Bust If the Wild Are Patient With Him

17 hours ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Tyler Bertuzzi??

That's the ceiling at this point in my mind (Todd had silky smooth mitt's and world class offensive instincts which Stram-nuts does not)

Really poor man's Todd Bertuzzi?  Homeless person's Todd Bertuzzi?  I am just hoping for SOME offensive upside.  Yes, I am delusional.

2 hours ago, mnfaninnc said:

Perhaps, but I didn't have John Hayden on my Bingo card!

I realize nobody is thinking of Hayden. I had to dig(using more than 1 database) to find someone of similar size that wasn't overly productive their first 2 years in college, but still made the NHL. Stramel is well ahead on skating though, and I certainly hope Stramel outperforms him!

What's funny here is that the Wild could have justifiably selected Heidt in the late 1st round(where he had been projected) and perhaps gotten Stramel at the end of the 2nd round, which some were projecting, and much of the hand-wringing over his development wouldn't really exist. Rieger Lorenz, for example, was selected #56 overall and didn't have an exciting freshman season, but nobody was really worried because he wasn't a 1st rounder.

To be clear, however, much of the angst here is the lack of development from freshman to sophomore year for Stramel. Lorenz went from 9 points as a freshman to 30 points as a sophomore.

I have no idea if he has the hockey IQ to become a dangerous scorer, but Stramel still has time to become an impact player at the NHL level. He needs to show a lot more this year for me to believe in that happening, but he is still relatively young.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2024 at 5:24 PM, Pewterschmidt said:

OK sports fans. It looks like the Laine to the Wild chatter is picking up some steam. which wild player/players in addition to Rossi do you predict we’ll go to Winnipeg in that deal?  If it’s any of the apathetic old core I m on board.  If it’s Rossi + our white knight prospects I vote no. 
this is smelling like Guerin’s desperate bid to keep 97

How the H-E-double-hockey-sticks can we afford his contract?