Hockey Wilderness

Article: Don't Overrreact If Hunter Haight Struggles During His Rookie Season In Iowa 

Haight has 1 advantage, he's an RHS, something we don't have a lot of in the organization. Currently, Haight is built like jettisoned Beckman. I think he can learn a lesson from Beckman and possibly Clarke: Bulk up. Clarke comes in at the mid 170s. If he wants to be taken seriously, he needs to do the same thing.

Sit these guys down and tell them "The #1 thing you can do to help yourself is to come in with an NHL body. Get in the gym." Haight is going to need to put on about 25 lbs. to be effective at 6'2". Also, with a growth spurt, the other thing he will need is skating work. Getting with Ness should be really important for him. His edges won't be as sharp as they should be. Yes, this will take some time, but I really, really hope this kid gets the message: You are not good enough on talent alone. Make yourself good enough.

Some people will look at tall guys like Necas and Pettersson and say "see, they can be lighter." Yes, they can, and they have exceptional skill. But when push came to shove in the playoffs, I don't believe it was Pettersson heading to the Stanley Cup. Bulk up, be hard to play against, win battles in the corners and be hard to move in front of the net. Your skill is good enough to be effective under those conditions. 

• Like 1

What I'd really like to see them do with Haight, and from Haight, is that he's working hard enough in the gym to earn a shot at Ovechkin's office on the PP. We don't have anyone there, and if Haight can be productive from that area, that could be a huge win if he makes the team. 

This would mean, on the big club, that Zuccarello is off the left point. This may not be well liked, but I think he is misused from that position mainly because we need one time shots from that position instead of a passer. The opponent PK is already favoring where that pass is going and do not fear the Zuccarello shot from that far out. Sure, occasionally one sneaks in, but not very often.