Hockey Wilderness

Article: Charlie Stramel Talks About Bounceback Season

Verified Member
2 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

I think most would want points from a 1st rounder. I'd think you can get menacing big guys in later rounds. If he turns into a Jordan Greenway(50th overall), or has the toughness of a Marcus Foligno(#104 overall), it's not a completely blown pick, it's just less exciting than you hope for with a 1st.

As I've mentioned previously, the guy I'll be comparing him to is David Edstrom, who isn't likely to be a top line C, but might bring some similarities to the game we enjoy from Eriksson Ek. He's in the Swedish league(3rd best in the world), playing against grown men, and just posted 19 points in 44 games while possessing solid size and being hard to play against.

If Edstrom turns out to be half as good as Eriksson Ek, who had 15 points in 41 SHL games after his draft year, and Stramel turns out to be 3/4 of Duhaime, I think a lot of people will be a bit disappointed.

There's still hope, but things haven't been promising so far. I know Stramel can skate well for a big guy, but I don't know if he's actually good defensively. What I do know is that nobody on that Wisconsin team had a worse +/- last season than Stramel, and that isn't very encouraging. I really hope things are better at Mich St.

I personally played for some coaches who had "their guys". I don't know much at all about Stramel or anything specific but if you're having some nagging hip-flexor problems which can take a long time to heal or not favored by the coach, it can be brutal. That kind of adversity is what Stramel describes. Does that mean he's actually a Hobey Baker candidate? No, but he should be able to get a new start and benefit from a coach who he trusts. That much is true and hopefully he'll be able to build some confidence and stay healthy. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

As I've mentioned previously, the guy I'll be comparing him to is David Edstrom, who isn't likely to be a top line C, but might bring some similarities to the game we enjoy from Eriksson Ek. He's in the Swedish league(3rd best in the world), playing against grown men, and just posted 19 points in 44 games while possessing solid size and being hard to play against.

If Edstrom turns out to be half as good as Eriksson Ek, who had 15 points in 41 SHL games after his draft year, and Stramel turns out to be 3/4 of Duhaime, I think a lot of people will be a bit disappointed.

There's still hope, but things haven't been promising so far. I know Stramel can skate well for a big guy, but I don't know if he's actually good defensively. What I do know is that nobody on that Wisconsin team had a worse +/- last season than Stramel, and that isn't very encouraging. I really hope things are better at Mich St.

I can agree with this assessment. Edstrom is a good comparable. I just can't stand the Gabriel Perrault argument making the Stramel pick controversial. I could understand Edstrom making the pick controversial. I was rooting for Oliver Moore, and when Stramel was picked I had quizical face wondering who Charlie Stramel was. He didn't show up in any of my reading on 1st round picks. 

Looking at his stats, I was equally perplexed because I didn't see a lot there. Now this would be the gamble: Guerin wanted Stramel but likely wanted him in round 2. He saw NYR wanting Stramel too in round 1, so that's when he took him. Just like Guerin/Brackett played the Ohgren-Yurov combination in the previous year, they played the same thing with Stramel. Luckily, they got Heidt with the last pick of the 2nd round. I am not sure why Brackett didn't like Edstrom, but there was a reason. My suspicion is that Stramel was a smoother skater.

As for WI, I thought the new coach would really ramp up Stramel's game. Instead, my eyes watched him take 5 shifts in the tournament game. In 5 shifts, he looked lost and like he was trying to do his best Johansson imitation, just getting in a good cardio shift. The whole 3rd period he sat on the bench. You won't get much production with usage like that, and I have no idea if he got shafted in usage, or if he deserved usage like that? I can say that there appeared to be a huge disconnect between the player and the coaching staff.

• Like 4

Provisional Member

I had the opportunity to watch Stramel in person multiple times each of his two years at Wisconsin.  His first year, especially given he was only 17, he really looked the part; seemed the most likely NHL'er on the team, given his size, strength, speed and smooth skating, and very good hands.  He also would crash the net and post up there in a way similar to JEE.  He played much of the year on the top line with two other high level offensive players, and he looked comfortable there, and helped to drive play, even if his numbers weren't eye popping.

When the Wild took him in the first, I was a bit surprised, but could definitely understand what they saw in him, even if it was a bit of a reach.  Given his age and what he showed in one NCAA season, it wasn't unrealistic to think he would improve significantly.

His sophomore season, well, that is a great example of why the transfer portal is a good thing for the players.  He was, frankly, criminally underutilized by the new coaching staff, who clearly preferred veteran players over youth, and also clearly had their "type" as well as "their guys" (hastings brought over 5-6 players from Mankato, and they all were given prominent roles)  The team was much better under the new coach, but Stramel was clearly a casualty of the regime change.  I agree with other's assessments, he clearly looked lost out there last year, and even a bit disinterested at times.  But with the coaching change, decreased playing time, and a greatly decreased role, as well as dealing with a lingering injury, it is at least understandable.

I am hoping for the best for him.  Optimistic he will have a big bounce back this year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Verified Member

I had a hip-flexor injury that lasted months one season. I pretty much had to write off the whole year. It was nagging and as long as I was playing, it didn't heal fully. I missed 4 weeks for it and it took the whole off season before I came back 100%. 

That is a weird injury to deal with. It messed up my mental game cause it was always just there. 

.02 cents.

Verified Member

Tage Thompson is a great example of a guy who now, is an effective big-man with a ripper-shot. He was slow to develop. Stramel has assets you can't teach, size & athleticism. He's not critical to the Wild now or even next season. The long-game with Stramel is gonna be the way to go. Expectations have settled down, he could become an Ek type player yet. His USNTDP resume was good. Patience... MN has drafted better than in the past. There's other guys to build with too. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 10:06 AM, MadtownWild said:

I had the opportunity to watch Stramel in person multiple times each of his two years at Wisconsin.

This is precisely the type of eyes I've been looking for with the prospects. MTW bringing the heat on just the 3rd post! Thanks for the evaluation, it was very good.