Hockey Wilderness

Article: Carson Lambos Is Due For A Breakout Season

Verified Member

It sounds a bit weird to me, saying that it's Brodin, one of the league's elite shutdown defensemen, is holding Lambos's place. I think it's the barely above replacement level defenseman, whom the Wild just extended for 4 season because he's a great guy, who's clogging up the left side of defense. Brodin is a type of a player who ages gracefully imo.

But I definitely still believe in Lambos as well, he's still young and very talented.

• Like 6

The Wild landed Adam Raska and a 5th round draft pick in 2026 for trading Addison as well. I agree that Lambos is the only player likely to get significant NHL minutes remaining from the Zucker trade, just clarifying that they still do have a couple of assets resulting from the Addison exchange.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adding Buium in the draft took the burden off of Lambos to develop into a top pairing talent, allowing him to take the next few years to round out his game. 

What professional athlete thinks: 'Phew, glad they drafted a guy who's better than me, that's sure a relief, now I can focus on being second best on this team'?

When Lambos gains more consistency and gets more minutes, we'll likely see him finish first in scoring for defensemen and possibly sneak into the top five in scoring for skaters. So, let’s hope he takes the next step. 

Hopefully seeing the success Rossi had last season after getting insanely dedicated on the offseason let's these guys know that even though they're on professional contracts, that doesn't mean they can stop getting better.  Nobody is being log-jammed by anybody else, management's job is to put the best product on the ice that they can...if you're not getting a shot, its because management doesnt think you're going to give them the best shot at winning

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, MrCheatachu said:

What professional athlete thinks: 'Phew, glad they drafted a guy who's better than me, that's sure a relief, now I can focus on being second best on this team'?

Right? To get to even a college level you have to have a rarely found drive and hunger to compete and win. If he has the "Phew, glad they drafted him to push me out of the lineup" then cut him now. I hope he sees it, and says "over my dead body, better come take it from me" and that pushes him to up his game and work even harder to perfect his game.  Who wouldn't love a team of players all competing for spots and playing time, pushing everyone to get better on a daily basis.

• Like 2

Verified Member

Jakub and Mr. Cheatatu hit it out of the park. Brodin is a placeholder for nobody. He is part of this core and has the ability to age gracefully. At some point, these kids will need a defensive leader, Brodin will be that guy even though Brock just got paid.

2nd, I think that Lambos found out that men are harder to stop than boys. I think he learned last season that he needs far more strength than he had and can still improve his skating. Lambos could put up points too, 14 was very low for him. As a 2-way defender, you are expected to put up some points, and I'd argue that's in the 30-40 point category consistently. 

Yes, it was a bad year for Lambos, and there wasn't much help with the coaching for defenders. But, any competitor should notice when they are outmanned, and I would consider that Lambos was outmanned plenty last season and he really needs to step up this offseason and put on the muscle much like Rossi did last season. 

He has been a late cut from the N a couple of times. I would suggest that if he came into training camp at 210, he will be taken very seriously. I'm also hoping Faber gets to that number too. Faber needs it mainly to tie up bigger guys on the boards, he really struggled late in the year with that. It might even help him not to have to play with broken ribs for 1/4 of the season. One thing is for sure, Lambos needs to be training his body for the N, not the A.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1