Hockey Wilderness

Article: Why Doesn't Bill Guerin Borrow From Bill Belichick's Core Philosophy?

28 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Hynzy and Guerin have both signalled that Zuc and Hartzy will be reunited with 97 (not permanently for full season necessarily) and I believe the reason is to extract more from Zuc and Harty rather than have them lanquish w/o 97.  Theory is that Ek and MaBo can join Rossi/Ogzy/? and create a second line that can contribute offensively making us closer to a two line team vs one line team that's easy to neutralize.

WTF?  To roll that old line strategically instead of tactically seems crazy.  I get it for a in-game shake up maybe but to deliberately fall back to a failing strategy vs last year's success with the top line is dumb.

Career suicide.  

I mean even gambling sites think this top line is going to be insane.

10 minutes ago, Will D. Ness said:

WTF?  To roll that old line strategically instead of tactically seems crazy.  I get it for a in-game shake up maybe but to deliberately fall back to a failing strategy vs last year's success with the top line is dumb.

Career suicide.  

I mean even gambling sites think this top line is going to be insane.

But the argument they'd make is by consolidating all our best talent on line #1 neuters lines 2-4.  It leaves us with a quality NHL first line + three NHL third lines. 

27 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

But the argument they'd make is by consolidating all our best talent on line #1 neuters lines 2-4.  It leaves us with a quality NHL first line + three NHL third lines. 

The only time we had success with this top line was when we had GREEF.  I would only break up Ek from the first line if we could find a similarly dominant version of GREEF.

30 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

serious question: what are the best gambling sites you guys monitor/use specifically for hockey

I don't actively sports bet but sometimes I look up odds for a good bet to maybe pull the trigger.

KK97 is 4th to win Rocket Richard.

On 7/18/2024 at 10:53 AM, Up North Guy said:

One other point about Brady. His wife made more money than he did so salary wasn't the biggest driving force for him.

You aren't the first to make this point, but I think it's one of the least relevant things on the internet. How many ultra-competitive guys feel comfortable in a situation where their wife is making far more money than they are.

If anything, I think the take home for his wife would drive most men to get the maximum for their contract. Brady took less because it was better for the team and his legacy, not because he was counting on his wife for a comfortable life. I've seen it countless times, so I'm not sending any negativity your way, I just think it's a lazy take that has been given far too much credibility than it deserves.

As a leader, Brady had more credibility in his locker room as a team guy by taking below market contracts than if he maximized his contract and left several million dollars less for his teammates.

I liked Cousins, but this is what he should have done if he really cared about his football legacy. Instead, he will be the guy who always chased the biggest NFL contract deal and never came close to winning it all. When you win big like Brady and Mahomes, or Steph Curry, there are also significant revenue streams that come from advertisers outside of the NFL, assuming you don't mind being in commercials for other products. Brady has book deals and product lines outside of his NFL contract as well as a highly lucrative TV deal that came partially as a result of being the most successful QB in history.

How much do you think Rodgers or Mahomes have earned outside of their NFL contracts by doing commercials?

4 hours ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

You aren't the first to make this point, but I think it's one of the least relevant things on the internet. How many ultra-competitive guys feel comfortable in a situation where their wife is making far more money than they are.

If anything, I think the take home for his wife would drive most men to get the maximum for their contract. Brady took less because it was better for the team and his legacy, not because he was counting on his wife for a comfortable life. I've seen it countless times, so I'm not sending any negativity your way, I just think it's a lazy take that has been given far too much credibility than it deserves.

As a leader, Brady had more credibility in his locker room as a team guy by taking below market contracts than if he maximized his contract and left several million dollars less for his teammates.

I liked Cousins, but this is what he should have done if he really cared about his football legacy. Instead, he will be the guy who always chased the biggest NFL contract deal and never came close to winning it all. When you win big like Brady and Mahomes, or Steph Curry, there are also significant revenue streams that come from advertisers outside of the NFL, assuming you don't mind being in commercials for other products. Brady has book deals and product lines outside of his NFL contract as well as a highly lucrative TV deal that came partially as a result of being the most successful QB in history.

How much do you think Rodgers or Mahomes have earned outside of their NFL contracts by doing commercials?

I don't necessarily disagree with you. All I am alluding to is it made it a little easier to keep his salary lower. As far as lazy takes, I am all about that. Retirement is the elixir of lazy takes.😎

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2024 at 12:51 PM, TCMooch said:

The salary cap jumped like $4.7 million from 13-14 to 14-15 seasons and then stagnated. I'm not saying the salary cap will NOT RISE but let's have very recent history show us that it is not a slam dunk guarantee and not something we should bank on as far as contract management.

On 7/17/2024 at 7:54 PM, mnhockeyfan03 said:

If Kap wants any more than $11mm for 4-5 years let him walk or trade him.  This talk of 13-15mm is crazy and you can get 3-4 very solid players for that.  IMO he is not a top 10 player like McDavid, Mathews and McKinnon.  Those guys take over a gave and sorry Kap just doesn’t.  Build a team not just a collection of high salary players. 

Kaprizov is definitely a top 10 player. Over the past 3 seasons, Kaprizov is ranked #4 in PPG, #4 in G/60, #5 in goals, #10 in P/60, and #12 in points. So, his agent will definitely push to get him paid as such.

The ten highest paid players in the league are currently:

• $13.25M Auston Matthews (15.05% of 2024-25 salary cap when signed) 
  • $12.6M Nathan MacKinnon (15.07% of 2023-24 salary cap when signed) 
  • $12.5M Connor McDavid (15.7% of 2018-19 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.64M Artemi Panarin (14.3% of 2019-20 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.6M Elias Pettersson (13.2% of 2024-25 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.5M Erik Karlsson (14.1% of 2019-20 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.5M William Nylander (13.1% of 2024-25 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.25M David Pastrnak (13.5% of 2023-24 salary cap when signed)
  • $11M John Travares (13.8% of 2018-19 salary cap when signed)
  • $11M Drew Doughty (13.5% of 2019-20 salary cap when signed)
  • Average: Highest paid players make 14.13% of the salary cap

The salary cap over the years:

• $96.5M: 2026-27 (proposed – not confirmed)
  • $92.0M: 2025-26 (proposed – I've seen reports of up to $93.2M)
  • $88.0M: 2024-25
  • $83.5M: 2023-24
  • $82.5M: 2022-23
  • $81.5M: 2019-22
  • $79.5M: 2018-19

So if following the 14-15% trend of the salary cap for the best players, that would mean if Kaprizov signs a new contract in either of the next two seasons, it could potentially be anywhere from $12.7M - $14.5M per season:

• $12.7M: 14.13% of $92.0M (2025-26) 
  • $13.6M: 14.13% of $96.5M (2026-27)
  • $13.8M: 15% of $92.0M (2025-26)
  • $14.5M: 15% of $96.5M (2026-27)
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, WheelSnipeCelly said:

Kaprizov is definitely a top 10 player. Over the past 3 seasons, Kaprizov is ranked #4 in PPG, #4 in G/60, #5 in goals, #10 in P/60, and #12 in points. So, his agent will definitely push to get him paid as such.

The ten highest paid players in the league are currently:

• $13.25M Auston Matthews (15.05% of 2024-25 salary cap when signed) 
  • $12.6M Nathan MacKinnon (15.07% of 2023-24 salary cap when signed) 
  • $12.5M Connor McDavid (15.7% of 2018-19 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.64M Artemi Panarin (14.3% of 2019-20 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.6M Elias Pettersson (13.2% of 2024-25 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.5M Erik Karlsson (14.1% of 2019-20 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.5M William Nylander (13.1% of 2024-25 salary cap when signed)
  • $11.25M David Pastrnak (13.5% of 2023-24 salary cap when signed)
  • $11M John Travares (13.8% of 2018-19 salary cap when signed)
  • $11M Drew Doughty (13.5% of 2019-20 salary cap when signed)
  • Average: Highest paid players make 14.13% of the salary cap

The salary cap over the years:

• $96.5M: 2026-27 (proposed – not confirmed)
  • $92.0M: 2025-26 (proposed – I've seen reports of up to $93.2M)
  • $88.0M: 2024-25
  • $83.5M: 2023-24
  • $82.5M: 2022-23
  • $81.5M: 2019-22
  • $79.5M: 2018-19

So if following the 14-15% trend of the salary cap for the best players, that would mean if Kaprizov signs a new contract in either of the next two seasons, it could potentially be anywhere from $12.7M - $14.5M per season:

• $12.7M: 14.13% of $92.0M (2025-26) 
  • $13.6M: 14.13% of $96.5M (2026-27)
  • $13.8M: 15% of $92.0M (2025-26)
  • $14.5M: 15% of $96.5M (2026-27)

Sorry I just don’t think he is worth that and is not the game changer as some of those guys on the list.  I think we would be better of trading him or letting him walk if he wants over $11mm

Verified Member

One of the problems is that Kaprizov will make the team he goes to even harder to beat . some teams have aging vets  that wouldnt regress if #97 were to join them  .