Hockey Wilderness

Article: Why Doesn't Bill Guerin Borrow From Bill Belichick's Core Philosophy?

2 hours ago, Dean said:

If Dean is such a good coach , why doesn’t he have a job? Maybe minny fans don’t understand the value of things like the rest of the league does . Kinda like the bozo contracts we hand out aren’t given out by good teams . 

By that logic there are no good GM's either, guess Billy isn't so bad now is he?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

Some dope online stated Kaprizov's agent might angle for a $15m AAV.  

I would make KK97 the highest paid player in the league.  Right now that is 13M.  

Next year who knows?

1 hour ago, Willy the poor boy said:

what adjustments

Line combinations are the most obvious adjustment that coaches with their back against the wall can make.  Deano stubbornly didn't make those adjustments.  And because 97/Zuc/Hartzy we're stapled together all 82 games (another mistake) there was almost zero chance to find chemistry juggling lines up 

Also didn't appear to be any adjustments made to the PP or PK

Deano just layed there and took his beating.  The whole league saw it too and that's why Deano will have to settle for an assistant job even with his lights out regular season.  Or maybe 97's rising tide lifted all the boats including Deano's percieved coaching acumen.

33 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Line combinations are the most obvious adjustment that coaches with their back against the wall can make.  Deano stubbornly didn't make those adjustments.  And because 97/Zuc/Hartzy we're stapled together all 82 games (another mistake) there was almost zero chance to find chemistry juggling lines up 

Also didn't appear to be any adjustments made to the PP or PK

Deano just layed there and took his beating.  The whole league saw it too and that's why Deano will have to settle for an assistant job even with his lights out regular season.  Or maybe 97's rising tide lifted all the boats including Deano's percieved coaching acumen.

I'll ask again, what adjustments or line combination changes? Those lines had them outperforming all year and got them to the playoffs. The team was short two very good players because of cap constraints that most assuredly limited any meaningful line changes.

We'll see how Hynes does this year. I doubt he comes close to getting this team to perform as well even with Kaprisov lifting all boats, and a more experienced Boldy and Rossi.

Edited by Willy the poor boy

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Conclusion:  Kaprisov would have “chemistry” with anybody you put out there.  He’s just that good.  Zuccarello has nothing to do with it.  Don’t let that be the reason we drag a salary cap boat anchor around.

Yes and no. We took Zuccy away from Kap, but he didn't really get to play with that great of players last year. Rossi looked good at times up and down the lineup, but he was a rookie and I doubt there was much Zuccarello could've done to help his game without a Kaprizov on the ice. 

The problem is he's too much of a passer, and he needs a good scoring threat opposite of him to open up the goal for his own shot because of that. We really can only offer Kaprizov for that right now. 

On the PP though, when the ice opens up and he can saucer passes around in space, he's definitely worth keeping around. Whether that's PP1 or eventually PP2 in another season. The guy is on a 2 year deal and there's no one in line to replace him just yet (maybe Rossi in the future if Yurov is really a C?)

Edited by B1GKappa97
  • Like 2

Verified Member

Think you could write a story like this? Hockey Wilderness wants you to develop your voice, find an audience, and we'll pay you to do it. 

You too can beat a dead horse until it's paste on the pavement.

• Haha 4

Note: Zuccarello hit 60 points and was at a 90-100 point pace at one point last season.  Even declining, he's on discount pay for two seasons.  He's kinda like Hartman: write him off and he just goes, "Yeah, whatever, I'll show you."

• Like 1

Verified Member

I remember the first training camp Kaprizov was here for. The practice squads were broken down into two groups. Kaprizov felt he was not on the group with the better players. He text the assistant coach who assigned players to each squad and said "why do I have to play on the shit team"? What he didn't realize was that he was responding to a mass text and the entire team got his response. Sounds like they had fun with him about it afterwards. 

But it's the kind of small thing that gives you insight to how a player feels and thinks. Kaprizov wants to play with other players on his level or as close to it as possible anyhow. I think Zuccarello filled that role for him for awhile but I think that honeymoon is over. Kaprizov is not seeing success on this team and he is being asked to wait on some prospects. I have said this before the only leverage Billy has is to throw money at him and unfortunately for Billy Kaprizov wants his name on that Cup and the sooner the better more than he wants the money. His agent Paul Theofanous is well known for extracting as much money out of a team as he can possibly get. But of course that's his job.  

Billy will be desperate because if he loses Kaprizov he loses his job as well imo. I look at this like  the Twins having to sign Joe Mauer. If they had not the fans would have burned the Metro Dome down and then Target Field after that. So they gave Joe all his money and Joe never won anything with the team. But I don't think Joe cared as much about winning a World Series as Kaprizov feels about winning a Stanley Cup. 

• Like 2

Few notes - as others said - Kaprizov did not budge on years, he wanted 5 or less, so kudos to Billy for getting 5…it could have been worse.

i really think money is not as big of a deal for him. If the team kicked ass this year he may have signed a team friendly deal ala Brady!

winning matters to him, so I  doubt the pain of slushing thru mediocracy will appeal to Kap - I expect Billy to start throwing big money at him, but I bet he releases a polite statement, thanks the fans, thanks ODC, and moves on to destination of his choosing

🥲

• Like 1

Verified Member

I think Kap is in it for the money and he’ll stay if we pay him what he thinks he’s worth. If we aren’t then I guess we trade him and he can sign with whatever team he wants that will pay him.

It will be interesting to see what Leon Draisaitl will set the market at next year as a free agent and then again for Artemi and McDavid in 2026 when Kap is looking to get paid.

To me Kap is outside a top 10 player in the NHL but I think he plans on getting paid like a top 5 guy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Willy the poor boy said:

What adjustments?

Starting MAF in game 2 for starters in the Dallas series , that’s IF DE was even making that decision. Countering the Blues changes after going up 2 to 1 when St. Louis had half their D core out. Starting MAF instead of CT didn’t age well. It’s not just one thing it’s like all his moves or lack of them went south. In all honesty I’d like nothing more than for DE to get a good team with a great roster and go on a really deep playoff run. He has a lot of excellent qualities as a coach. Maybe he can shore up the areas where he needs improvement and land somewhere interesting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

i really think money is not as big of a deal for him

I’m pretty sure his agent is going to disagree with you ODC. Personally I don’t have a clue. My gut says he’s going to be easily somewhere between 5-10 highest paid player in the league. And you know what, he’s worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burnt Toast said:

I’m pretty sure his agent is going to disagree with you ODC. Personally I don’t have a clue. My gut says he’s going to be easily somewhere between 5-10 highest paid player in the league. And you know what, he’s worth it.

See i think his agent is not as important with Kap as he may be with other clients. here me out - assuming Kap wants money - well there are other ways to get money, including advertisement both domestic and foreign (forget Kwik Trip) and generational wealth (his father in-law being very influential music producer). He also can sign on with multiple brands and deliver. He is that marketable. So if money is what he after, he can get it regardless.  But i think he has enough and now is looking to work on his legacy, which means wins. The only thing that is left for him is Stanley Cups. Can we deliver? I think this year was a big blow to our pitch. I think he is going to say No and move on. 😞

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Billy will be desperate because if he loses Kaprizov he loses his job as well imo. I look at this like  the Twins having to sign Joe Mauer. If they had not the fans would have burned the Metro Dome down and then Target Field after that. So they gave Joe all his money and Joe never won anything with the team. But I don't think Joe cared as much about winning a World Series as Kaprizov feels about winning a Stanley Cup. 

Who knows. I like to think if they throw $15M at him annually that'll be hard to pass up for the next 5 or 6 seasons. As the cap goes up, that number will only look better. 

What will be very interesting is whether we trade him if there's no movement on the contract by the '25-'26 TDL. Do we get something for him while we can or do we really make an all-in push that year and let the chips fall where they may? It would be a terrible waste if a guy like Kap left and we got nothing to show for it.. 

• Like 3

Verified Member
18 hours ago, Peter Lemonjello said:

Johansson's contract is fine. He was paid $2ml and played like it. Not sure what people expect from a $2ml player.

With a name like Peter Lemonjello there is no chance you'll ever make a bad comment. - Pederass Handerhan

• Haha 1

Verified Member
7 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

(his father in-law being very influential music producer).

When did Kaprizov get married and to whom? Also I don't think Kaprizov is interested in endorsements particularly if he is required to be in front of the camera. He did a couple Not Weird Wild skits but not much beyond that. You can bet he's been approached by everyone from Kwik Trip to car dealerships to do endorsements but you don't see him on TV much off the ice. 

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't his initial offer 12X8 but he wanted the 9X5 deal? He was willing then to take less money for less time back then. So is it because he wanted a bigger payday than 12 after five with the Wild or so he could pull the escape chute after five? I think the larger percentage of that would be he wanted the escape chute available. He will get paid wherever he goes. 

Either way he has another couple years of trying to carry a mediocre team into the playoffs. 

Verified Member

I like how everybody is saying the salary cap will go up and a $15 million year contract for a not top 10 NHL player will be  fine. The exact same thing was said here (well old here when it was SBNation) when we signed Parise and Suter and then the cap basically stagnated for an average increase of 2.5 million over the next 7 years. LOL

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MNCountryLife said:

$15M for 1 player or $5M for 3 players.  There are a lot of very talented players at the $5M range.  This would be a very tough decision for a GM.  Which one is more likely to get you wins and a cup.

Yeah, you could get 3 more Eriksson Eks.  I'll take that over one Kaprizov.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

When did Kaprizov get married and to whom? Also I don't think Kaprizov is interested in endorsements particularly if he is required to be in front of the camera. He did a couple Not Weird Wild skits but not much beyond that. You can bet he's been approached by everyone from Kwik Trip to car dealerships to do endorsements but you don't see him on TV much off the ice. 

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't his initial offer 12X8 but he wanted the 9X5 deal? He was willing then to take less money for less time back then. So is it because he wanted a bigger payday than 12 after five with the Wild or so he could pull the escape chute after five? I think the larger percentage of that would be he wanted the escape chute available. He will get paid wherever he goes. 

Either way he has another couple years of trying to carry a mediocre team into the playoffs. 

sorry i misspoke - his gf then. so not a done deal i guess 🙂 but i'll still say that money is there regardless of hockey.  but that's just my thought.

i would have to think that advertising Kwik Trip and Window Concepts is not his ceiling. I'd wager he can get to marketing sports and / or clothing if he is not doing that already for russia? maybe it's just tough for hockey players period to get to that national marketing level when competing against stars from other sports, and political landscape too, i dunno - so this is unlikely for him..... but to me it's a no brainer (side tracking with a topic here) 

as for money - i think he wanted less term, that was the biggest thing for him. so that he could control where he goes sooner. 

1 hour ago, MNCountryLife said:

$15M for 1 player or $5M for 3 players.  There are a lot of very talented players at the $5M range.

97 is a player that you cannot replace with volume.  Doesn't matter how many Folin-nojo-Fraud-Enin's you want to add, the team gets worse.  It's 97's unique ability to make hockey plays both offensively but also his ability to keep a play alive by keeping possession (aka not losing possession by getting flustered by pressure) that makes him difficult to replace.

If our goal is to become SJS-North let's lose 97 and replace him with a bunch good-not-great players and will be playoff bubble team for the foreseeable future.

Boldy and Ek are above average NHL'rs but without 97 on roster it starts to look like the Jacque 'strap' Lemaire years.  Little engine that could Wild.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1