Hockey Wilderness

Article: Liam Ohgren Vying For a Spot On the Wild

I liked what I saw of Ogzy last year.  I’m benchmarking him against peak Nino when he was with the Wild.  Hoping Ogz can be more difference maker than passenger when compared to Nino.  
i think fans have him as a top nine lock this year, myself included.  Going to be fun to watch. 
#thatswhytheyplaythegames

#milnewatch

• Like 3

Verified Member
1 hour ago, Pewterschmidt said:

Hoping Ogz can be more difference maker than passenger when compared to Nino.  

I'm not sure we can pencil in Ogie for the 20+ goals that Nino scored off the bat, but I do think we can count on him to be more physical. Nino was plenty physical until he hit Maata into an open door. It seemed like that shook him up even though it wasn't really his fault. 

Ogie is supposed to have elite big butt strength that should make you very happy!

Also on Mikey Milne watch. He needed to hit the gym and maybe train with Ogie!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Ogie is supposed to have elite big butt strength

MNFAN, I'll suggest you just add a signature/footnote to all your posts making reference to the need that players bulk up.  Will save alot of typing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Verified Member
16 minutes ago, Pewterschmidt said:

MNFAN, I'll suggest you just add a signature/footnote to all your posts making reference to the need that players bulk up.  Will save alot of typing.

It's aggression typing, needed therapy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not against Ohgren and Khusnutdinov taking turns as the "probably on the team all the time, but being shuttled to and from Iowa a lot" scenario.  It's probably easier for Khusnutdinov being a center, but maybe Ohgren plays a game that the Wild just can't be without and proves he should get first dibs.

You can't trust this team to stay healthy all year anyway.  Ohgren's going to get plenty of chances.

• Like 1

Verified Member
21 minutes ago, Citizen Strife said:

I'm not against Ohgren and Khusnutdinov taking turns as the "probably on the team all the time, but being shuttled to and from Iowa a lot" scenario.  It's probably easier for Khusnutdinov being a center, but maybe Ohgren plays a game that the Wild just can't be without and proves he should get first dibs.

You can't trust this team to stay healthy all year anyway.  Ohgren's going to get plenty of chances.

I don't think I'm alone in hoping it's Freddy or MoJo that's the "capable fill-in in case of injury" for the Wild this year.  Honestly, Freddy could fit that pretty well with his versatility. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Will D. Ness said:

Did the guy win a contest or was it an open mic?

No idea what his background is. I was just searching for commentary on it because there hasn't been much and that was someone who seems to have watched a lot of the development camp.

They at least seemed more informed than Judd Zulgad's podcast, but that really was not a high bar to clear.

You can see from the highlights the "elite big butt strength" already, and that is without much NHL conditioning and strength training. Imagine if they turn on tape of Greenway and just keep saying "No, not like this, use the big butt strength instead". The other thing I like is he has, what appears on tape, as a strong shot off a quick release. Would be wonderful if he goes power forward, works down low and positions well and lets the shot fly. Lots of ifs ands or "butts", though seems to have tools to make an impact this year and grow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Citizen Strife said:

Ogre will be on the Wild this year, possibly on line 2 or 3. Dino should be with the Minnesota Wild as well. Johansson in the press box. Freddy on 4th line with Dino. Lauko could be in Iowa if the Wild need him.

Kaprizov - JEE - Rossi

Boldy - Heidt - Zuccarello

Foligno - Hartman - Ogre

Trenin - Dino - Gaudreau

3 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Ogre will be on the Wild this year, possibly on line 2 or 3. Dino should be with the Minnesota Wild as well. Johansson in the press box. Freddy on 4th line with Dino. Lauko could be in Iowa if the Wild need him.

Kaprizov - JEE - Rossi

Foligno - Hartman - Ogre

Trenin - Dino - Gaudreau

I like this line up, though what about keeping Kap JEE and Boldy together after last year, and put ogre line two for some size and Rossi on line 3?  It may come down to who between Harts, Heidt, and Rossi and win faceoffs for a center then the 3rd on the wing.

Verified Member
57 minutes ago, Imyourhuckleberry said:

Kaprizov - JEE - Rossi

Foligno - Hartman - Ogre

Trenin - Dino - Gaudreau

I like Denny B's idea to make L2 a "Kid Line" with Ohgren - Rossi - Heidt.  Give Heidt a chance to develop without the immediate pressure of being a center, let Ohgren create chaos, and Rossi can bring it all together.  Keep Boldy - JEE - Kap as L1, the Kid Line as L2, and two checking lines.

Now, if only John "I don't like to play kids" Hynes could buy in...

• Like 3

Wheeler posted his Top 100 Prospects list.  Interesting names. *Took this from a reddit post earlier*

Tier 2 (picks 2-9)

5th - Zeev Buium

Tier 4 (picks 26-59)

30th - Danila Yurov

Tier 5 (picks 60-79)

66th - Liam Ohgren

Tier 6 (picks 80-100)

100 - Riley Heidt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Verified Member

Gotta get back up to speed boys. Got kinda distracted in the last week or two. The memes were golden but took a dark turn Saturday evening, but we're back and I'm ready to discuss glute-power, packing on lbs at the gym and Buium's eventual fighting height/weight at 6'3 286. mnfaninnc will be proud.

Untitled.jpg.c57e005ebc3b9eb3177a621d6b38c821.jpg

Hahaboys.jpg.11eaaaf5894fd36395b722bd2fa6f849.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Citizen Strife said:

Wheeler posted his Top 100 Prospects list.  Interesting names. *Took this from a reddit post earlier*

Looked to me like he was favoring too heavily the guys from this draft. I like Buium, but he had Cutter Gauthier, taken 5th in 2022 and scored nearly 1 goal per game for Boston College this season, lower in his rankings than Cole Eiserman, who was taken 20th this year.

And lots of guys from this draft far ahead of Ohgren and Heidt who are both close to making the NHL right now. I don't know if Heidt will make this team, but I doubt Johansson or Lauko could bring more to the Wild than he does.

3 hours ago, IllicitFive said:

though what about keeping Kap JEE and Boldy together after last year, and put ogre line two for some size and Rossi on line 3?  It may come down to who between Harts, Heidt, and Rossi and win faceoffs for a center then the 3rd on the wing.

Boldy and Kaprizov getting shutdown last year was a problem. They'll still play together on PP1, but separating the 2 guys who can carry scoring(like Boldy did when KK97 missed time) might not be a bad idea.

Hartman was definitely better on faceoffs than Rossi. Not sure if that will change much in the next couple of years. Boldy has been roughly as good as Rossi on faceoffs, so he could be the secondary faceoff guy on line 2 if he ends up there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went there, I commented elsewhere on what I saw. I liked the Defense 3v3. I think I probably had a closer seat to some of the shooting drills. Though I was right behind The Ogre on that 1-hand drill & I agree that he seemed advanced.

Ryder Ritchie torched like 2 guys, drove center, & scored on a play.

Stramel showed strong D, leaned into some guys, then had very good puck control in a crowd. He looks comfortable in front of the net.

I personally saw an awful lot of Kivijarju looking very smooth & feisty & he showed some leadership.

Our 2 big low-rounder D men (the new ones) both have canon shots. The new one that spends all his time in the sinbin (Leskovar) could not miss a slapper. On, the move, one-timers, he just seemed to find twine without shanking

I tried to be equal opportunity on who I was watching, instead of just 1st rounders & whatnot.

• Like 4