Hockey Wilderness

Article: Could the Wild Pull Off A Surprise Trade To Round Out the Roster?

4 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

Have to agree with the the initial signing, though, Freddy got a bit of a bonus due to his 3rd slot in the shootout expertise from the year before. He just never got a chance to really do that this year. You still have to plan for the shootout, but then Freddy sits in the pressbox come playoff time due to talent.

I've got nothing on Johansson except he was cheap. I do think we could have had him at $1.5m had we tried for that.

5 years for freddy though??? 

Verified Member
3 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

5 years for freddy though??? 

He was Dean's guy! And, he's waivable! I think he agreed to length of deal instead of a 3 year $10m deal, which with his point production could have been argued. I wouldn't have liked it, but it could have been explained with comparable contracts.

19 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

He was Dean's guy! And, he's waivable! I think he agreed to length of deal instead of a 3 year $10m deal, which with his point production could have been argued. I wouldn't have liked it, but it could have been explained with comparable contracts.

1 year for 2MM, that would have been smart. you also tell him - here outperform and you'll get a better pay day next. if not - move on and we will look for another 3/4th liner. we did it with Steele, we did it with Harty, i mean there are always guys you can put in on bottom lines. no reason to tie yourself up for 5 years. sure - waiver is there, but it may be a pride thing now - saying you messed up and sending a player for what like 3 or 4 years to AHL to make good money? i dunno.

• Like 1

Verified Member
14 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

but it may be a pride thing now - saying you messed up and sending a player for what like 3 or 4 years to AHL to make good money? i dunno.

or, he was paid market rates (just a lower AAV for more years) with the express knowledge that when he's passed, he will need to find another team. For us, he's probably a fringe player, but he could start in Chicago's lineup. Or San Jose's. 

I'm convinced that Shooter was taking care of the players (which arguably is not his job, but some GMs do treat their players well) knowing that they needed market rates to stay so that when they were let go they didn't have to start all over again.

I'd have rather it been 1 year also. But he'd had 2 good years prior and there was no reason to think he'd have such a bad year. Plus, it's obvious he wasn't playing at 100% and he did miss time. We could have had the top 2 lines from Iowa playing for us if guys wouldn't have played hurt.

2 minutes ago, mnfaninnc said:

or, he was paid market rates (just a lower AAV for more years) with the express knowledge that when he's passed, he will need to find another team. For us, he's probably a fringe player, but he could start in Chicago's lineup. Or San Jose's. 

I'm convinced that Shooter was taking care of the players (which arguably is not his job, but some GMs do treat their players well) knowing that they needed market rates to stay so that when they were let go they didn't have to start all over again.

I'd have rather it been 1 year also. But he'd had 2 good years prior and there was no reason to think he'd have such a bad year. Plus, it's obvious he wasn't playing at 100% and he did miss time. We could have had the top 2 lines from Iowa playing for us if guys wouldn't have played hurt.

taking care of players is nice, but at some point it has to be business - he gave us 2 good years, but there is a limit to a player like him and we should have flexed a bit and dictated our terms, instead we just gifted him and others security. we also could have waited on some of them, but instead we just acted like it was a race against someone....who? us?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OldDutchChip said:

taking care of players is nice, but at some point it has to be business

BT's taking care of players needs to have a return by being able to lure talent here.  

The dilemma is that he hasn't left enough cap space to sign anyone.

I think we need to call it a BG-22.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will D. Ness said:

BT's taking care of players needs to have a return by being able to lure talent here.  

The dilemma is that he hasn't left enough cap space to sign anyone.

I think we need to call it a BG-22.

yeap he had a way forward and blocked it with all the stuff post 22

Fire Billy

Illicit - FU

2 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

1 year for 2MM, that would have been smart. you also tell him - here outperform and you'll get a better pay day next.

TRUTH BOMB!!!

Run it like a business Guerin

#nevergofullretardbill

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldDutchChip said:

but there is a limit to a player like him and we should have flexed a bit and dictated our terms, instead we just gifted him and others security.

KA-BOOM!

Compounding of bad decisions begin to leave a mark

Verified Member

What happens if all these guys actually do rebound this year? What happens if we're in more shootouts and Freddy is slowly firing in round 3 goals? What happens if Hartzy, Foligno, Zuccarello have a renaissance? What happens if Spurgeon appears really fixed (I'd love to see that but am pessimistic)? 

What happens if it ends up being that we just had a lousy year last season and we get back to business?

Either could happen. I'm pretty sure this is still a 1 and done team in the playoffs, but getting the invitation is still very important to our owner, the GM's boss. I'm pretty sure that we will have a competitive product on the ice this next season. I'm also pretty sure that we'll see some more from The Wall this season than 3 starts. 

I, for one, will be enjoying watching the young guys grow. It's been my only expectation for the dead cap era. I was pleasantly surprised we made the playoffs in 3 of those years. I also expected the promotion of young talent to be there before they were ready and to grow within the big Wild team, even though they'd make costly mistakes. I have no problem with the extra marinating either. If that's Guerin's philosophy, I can certainly see the logic.

• Like 1

Verified Member

Guys let's face it. One of the best inside jokes since forever is the mnfaninnc off-season workout philosophy. We all pretty much agree, it's just way funnier to imagine a 235lb Riley Heidt or if Da Buoy grows to the size of his older brother and arrives at 6'3 242, that's beefing up the back end. 

😀